Home » Racing & Sport » News » When Good Times Go Bad

When Good Times Go Bad

'It’s a sad day when even the horseracing authorities refuse to assist smaller owners'

In an unprecedented step, an obviously frustrated and angry racehorse owner has resorted to the use of social media to warn prospective buyers of his 2014 Dingaans winner, Unparalleled, who is set to be auctioned to dissolve the partnership.

3yo Unparalleled - questionable

Good times – Unparalleled wins the Dingaans

The situation, not a unique one by any means, highlights the downside of owning horses in partnerships and syndicates  – which in today’s economic climate is often the only way most people can afford to enjoy what is in essence a ‘luxury pastime’ – to borrow a recently coined term from an industry professional.

This is how we reported on Unparalleled’s Dingaan’s victory.

The owner’s statement:

After being in the horseracing industry for many years I find myself up against an unscrupulous and vengeful trainer who has colluded with a big time owner who has convinced all of the existing owners of UNPARALLELED who won the Dingaans in 2014, and for the last 8 months has not raced, to lodge a dispute against me and attempt to sell my horse on Auction.

IN THE TRAINERS WORDS -“THE HORSE IS UNSOUND AND HAS CHIPS IN ALL HIS JOINTS AS WELL AS BEING A VERY BAD BLEEDER AND WONT EVEN FETCH R250K ON AN AUCTION.”

It’s a sad day in racing when even the horseracing authorities refuse to assist smaller owners like myself.

You may auction my horse and steal money from me (including the money you owe me) but in the end karma will get you and I hope I’m around to see you get what you deserve.

You may ask why I’m posting this – it’s very simple: I made a business decision to move one of my horses to another stable and was subject to a barrage of verbal and written abuse.

The message is simple: if you want to own a racehorse certainly don’t buy this one with all it’s afflictions – rather go to a reputable trainer.

7 comments on “When Good Times Go Bad

1. Ian Jayes says:

This does look bad.

2. RayCurling says:

Not Nice for SA Horse Racing.Possible just sour grapes

1. Speedyvar says:

A few years back a Kwa-Zulu Natal based horse,after not winning or placing for ages was sold on the advice of the trainer.It is alleged the trainer told the owner the horse would not win again.
      After it was sold,in its next race it was a comfortable winner and then it won its next start.Strange you may say.But guess who now was a part owner in this horse.That left a bad taste in the previous owner’s mouth.Much worse than sour grapes I think.
      The previous owner then sold the rest of his horses and got out of racing. .

3. Preston says:

I have always considered horse syndication as a hedging strategy to hedge away some of the risk to poor unsuspecting suckers. My opinion is that you deserve that pain because you clearly did not do your homework on the integrity of the other owners. However I still feel that you will be in a better position by getting rid of this horse considering the economic headwind that SA economy will face once we get downgraded to junk status, food inflation start to breach the upper band of the Reserve Bank target,interest rate goes through the roof.So cheer up, there will be plenty of other opportunities for you in 2016.

4. Beach Boy says:

who is this owner? if a public post was put on social media, is there any reason why Sporting Post is not publishing the name of the owner? And the quote is not clear on something: is the horse really unsound or is the owner saying that the trainer told him that the horse is unsound? Editor: I know this is a free site and it’s a lovely one but it would be nice to have a little bit more clarity on this post and the facts; thank you!!

Hi Beach Boy

The editorial was more about the principle of an owner resorting to such drastic action as social media to vent frustration and also as an illustration of the less glamorous side of owning (even good) horses.
      No purpose would have been served, in our opinion, in naming the angry owner.

We are unable to comment on the horse’s soundness.

We are glad that you enjoy the site
      Cheers

1. Beach Boy says:

OK, understood. any harm in publishing the link to the social media page? Given that this site is meant to provide maximum information on racing, it would help prospective bidders for the horse to gauge for themselves and/or to contact the disgruntled owner for more information. If you prefer not to publish the link, I fully understand.

and, yeah, it’s hard not to enjoy the site. it is superlative, keep it up.