Home » Racing & Sport » News » Double Century Is Fourie’s Target

Double Century Is Fourie’s Target

Snaith partnership looks a powerful one

Top Cape jockey Richard Fourie has set himself a target of 200 winners this season and the Chrigor Stud-sponsored rider will be freelancing and riding work at the Snaith Racing headquarters.

Richard Fourie – aiming for new highs

Fourie has ridden six winners in just two Cape meetings of the new term for the Snaiths in what has been a dream start to the new term.

While his past season best total – an injury interrupted one at that – is 143 winners, achieved when runner-up to S’manga Khumalo in 2013/14, Richard confirmed that he was no longer the retained rider for Chrigor Stud.

Richard’s morning road trip over the past season to the magnificent Woodhill Racing Estate of the Kotzen team out at Paarl will now be replaced by the cross-the-Peninsula route from his West Coast home to the Snaith Phillipi HQ.

The 33 year old Melkbosstrand based father of three daughters, a past champion apprentice, and considered one of the best lightweight jockeys in the country, would not commit to going all out for the SA Championship title as a specific goal.

“I don’t personally believe in the chase-and-travel concept of journeying  far and wide and riding every day of the week in pursuit of the title. There has to be a balance in life – between family, work and recreation. A healthy body, healthy mind and happy life brings out the best in the professional sportsman. My wife Tatum plays a huge supportive role in my success. I have set my target of 200 winners and if that brings me into a position where I am able to go for the title, then that will be wonderful,”he said.

(Chase Liebenberg Photography)

Richard FourChase Liebenberg Photography)

Richard said that he had a big Cape Summer Season to focus on for the next seven months.

He speculates that he would start travelling further than the Eastern Cape from about March.

“My sponsorship with the Hattingh family’s Chrigor Stud  remains in place but I will be focussing on riding work for Snaith Racing.  They believe in rewarding hard work with quality rides. They have a powerful string. So I will be making every effort from my side. The arrangement remains purely freelance, so I can also ride for whoever I am able to. I am looking forward to making a big go of it this season,” he said.

13 comments on “Double Century Is Fourie’s Target

1. Ronny says:

Mr Fourie, What happened to loyalty with the Glen Kotzen stable? Your association with the Snaith stable has been more of an up and down/ Love Hate for the past 10yrs…i will never forget when Mr Pierre Strydom phone for the ride on Givemethegreenlight and he ended up winning the queens plate and Fourier was Snaith stable jockey…in life u learn the hard way or you don’t learn at all

2. Mr Fourie 👍🏻 says:

Good day.

Thank you for the comment.

It lacks a substantial amount of facts. I don’t want to fuel this fire but let me put it into perspective. ” Fourie and Snaith, up and down, love hate” it’s been for over 12 years already and I have grown up. In any profession there is friction not agreeing on the same thing and that is perfectly normal. (Gimmethegreenlight) those days I was very hot headed and learnt the hard way, (much more to this story) Made me humble. Loyal I have been to the Kotzen team at Woodhill with Chrigor Stud for 2 seasons and it has been great. Lots of success and can’t complain.

As for this season the criteria has changed for the Cape jockeys title and freelancing is the best way to achieve this. In life you don’t have to learn the hard way, it’s been a journey and I have enjoyed it all.

Thanks for clarifying that Richard

3. Gavin Blake says:

Good luck Richard, you’ll do great. A complete gentleman and a hell of a jock. Brought home plenty of winners for my wife Estelle when she ran the Snaith sattelite yard in PE.

4. Whistler says:

You on the right track!…Believe you me!

5. Bronson Nassif says:

Well said Richard

6. LG says:

Richard is a top rider. To win a title you need a good card. Just look at the past winners. All have had good rides leading to the title.
    I hope he gets those rides. Freelancing may be the only way to get these rides,
    Snaith and Tarry have the options right now.
    Good luck to Richard.

LG

7. Mr S says:

Mr Fourie

A champion in your own right and a jockey who will excell for who ever he rides for . All good things come to an end. Goodluck for the upcoming season Richard . Wishing you an injury free and winners filled season. Keep Booting em home Champ

8. lazarus says:

What a true gentleman of the sport! Hats of to you Mr. Fourie. Wishing you all the best this season and willing be backing your 200 plus winners sir!

9. Seedated says:

Well said Richard. You paid your school fees and now you are being rewarded accordingly. Hope to see you taking on the current establishment in KZN soon. You have the talent, ability and you will get the rides to make your travels count.

10. Iceman06 says:

Well said Seeedated. Just a comment…the tipsters for Fairview could have caught the Bipot and Jackpot straight line today…

11. Jean-Noel says:

As long as I know Richard he is a genuine person who learn things the hard way .In my country he is very well rated and respected for his honesty and talenjt KEEP IT UP RF

12. Tony Banks says:

hi im from australia .i think south african jockeys are as good as anywhere in the world and richard fourie should be coming downunder to ride. sorry to sound bias but he is a great rider.