Home » Racing & Sport » Time For NHA Board To Go?

Time For NHA Board To Go?

Integrity questions have to be answered

I noted with alarm the Sunday Times report on the financial embarassment of Mr Lyndon Barends, the CEO of the National Horseracing Authority ( NHA )

Longstanding breeder and NHA Life Member Dr Marianne Thomson writes in the Sporting Post Mailbag that she has some points to make.

At the time of his appointment, was the NHA board aware of his financial problems ?

If so , were the members of the Board complicit in a cover up ?

If they were not aware, were they negligent ?

Surely anybody appointed to a position of this standing and power should be thoroughly vetted beforehand.

Now, to allow this compromised gentleman to return on 25 September would be a travesty.

Before his possible reinstatement, there surely must be a thorough forensic audit of the NHA.

This audit should be made available to the public , especially as there is doubt as to the integrity of the board.

It has come to my notice that there has been a massive “clear out “ of staff at the NHA.

Please could there be an audit of the total wage bill and expenses incurred over the past two years.

Speaking as a Breeder and Life Member of the NHA, I have a right to know.

As does every other Breeder, Owner, Trainer and other parties who have their lives “ruled” by the NHA.

This is OUR Industry and livelihood and for too long we have suffered and tolerated mediocrity in silence.

Perhaps this is time for the Board to resign in its entirety and to find untarnished, passionate people to come forward to lead us.

11 comments on “Time For NHA Board To Go?

1. Jurgs says:

Well said Dr. Thomson. Your observations are relevant and hopefully will be acted upon. It is however characteristic of the NHA to ignore these irritations and do nothing. I trust that this will not be the case this time.

I believe that the secrecy behind the apparent golden handshakes received by Denzil Pillay and Colin Hall need to become matter of public knowledge. Heaven forbid that Mr Barends receives a cent.

2. The Dark Duke says:

What a brave woman you are Doctor Thomson. I remember vividly your letter to Markus Jooste when he was at his untouchable heights. It is people like you that racing needs. A new broom is needed as you say and I for one would love for you to be on that new board.

3. Ian Jayes says:

I agree with every word.

4. Sharon Patterson says:

Well Done Marianne. Hopefully someone will take some notice of the ‘Ordinary People’ who have been in the game for a long time! We don’t need the ‘flight by nights’ who come in and make a big noise then have feet of clay!

5. Paul Karam says:

I applaud you Dr Thompson you are such an inspiration to us all. My son Paulie has had numerous serrious complaint that has mostly been swept under the carpet. Loraine Karam

6. beatle says:

Well said Dr Thompson

7. Ingrid says:

I can’t even bring myself to bother registering my horses, as one has to steel oneself beforehand knowing the complete aggravation of dealing with such incompetent people.

8. Brett Maselle says:

For years I have been saying that the NHRA constitution requires an audit of accounts and not only an audit of financials statements. It would be really nice if the directors of the NHRA read the constitution. Thank you, Dr Thompson for speaking out. These directors need to go.

9. Well done Marianne! You are so right. Years back we trusted the then Jockey Club, we were proud of it. And now I think a complete audit and a new organisation is all that can help. New people who know about horses, racing and breeding I am sure can be found, and with integrity and a will to work.

10. Roderick Mattheyse says:

No Doubt the NHA is in turmoil and it has been like that for many years.

So assuming the board has to go, who will be ready to step up and do their “civil duty” and take up the reigns and incur the wrath of this very passionate group of people. Also bear in mind 95% cant wait for failure so they can say I told you so.

Most of us here are conflicted as we have vested interests as we are Breeders Owners and Punters, so as Stan Elley says “Where do we go from here?”

11. Jagal says:

NHRA STAND DOWN AND WALK AWAY ….persistence and exposing the truth shall continue. its in the best interests of racing .