Home » Racing & Sport » Delpech Calls It A Day

Delpech Calls It A Day

Medical advice key to decision

Just a week after taking a few horses in work at Summerveld, 49 year old former SA Champion Jockey Anthony Delpech has announced that his riding career is officially over.

Anthony Delpech – won’t ride again (photo: hamishNIVENPhotography)

He had been sidelined since last April, after a severe fall in the SA Classic left him with a disc herniation and damaged spinal cord which required surgery.

There was also serious nerve damage, and his recovery has unsurprisingly been slow due to the severe nature of these injuries.

Although his excursion to the track went well and Anthony reported feeling strong, the euphoria was short-lived.  Subsequent advice from his doctor spelled out that continuing to ride would aggravate his difficulties and leave him at risk of permanent damage.  Therefore Anthony has taken the difficult decision to retire from the saddle on medical grounds.

Read more about this top jockey here

31 comments on “Delpech Calls It A Day

1. jc lee ching says:

A wise move. He has nothing to prove, done it all. A complete professional who has competed at the highest level here and abroad with huge success. A modest champion who will be missed be thousands of adoring punters.

2. Barry Irwin says:

Good luck to him! One of the most stylish jockeys I’ve seen ride anywhere in the world. Truly a great rider.

3. Pops says:

Sad sad news.

4. Philip Fourie says:

Anthony, you were a true Champion. Wishing you well with whatever you pursue. Blessed be my friend.

5. Kevin G says:

As a punter I’ve never seen a more balanced rider than Delpech …. The rest get to animated in the saddle … You got nothing to prove Bonj …… You will alway be my favourite jockey …..

6. Rian says:

You can be thankful you have been given another chance to do whatever you want, a true gentleman and a LEGEND.

7. Johan Christians says:

It is a sad day in the horse riding industry
    Go well Anthony you’ve done it all

8. Indres says:

Riding career over … Imperious Sue…. Cape met victory…. Kicked Striker into touch. Training career…. I hope is on the horizon. Good luck Bonji.

9. Mayen says:

Anthony was the punters bailout at most meetings. Thank you for those great memories. ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY IN LIFE. GOD BLESS

10. Ronnie Ramasamy says:

Sad to see a champion jockey call it a day in the prime of his career. Wishing him you best of luck. Take care and lots of rest

11. John F says:

Wise decision by one of our best. Mr Delpech you will leave a gaping hole in the racing industry and will be sorely missed. A true professional and gentleman always. All the best in your next venture!

12. Ian says:

Knowing when to stop doing what you are passionate about is the true sign of a champion. Thank you for all that you have giving the racing world and good luck with your New venture.

Sad, but correct decision.Enjoy the Family life, hoping the next episode is something in or close to racing. No doubt a likeable man like Anthony will have options. Great Jockey, definitely will be missed, but fondly remembered…

14. Wendy Nassif says:

Its sad that you are leaving the racing game but its wonderful that you are able to walk away. We will all miss you. Come visit us at the track. Wish you all the best. Enjoy your new direction that you are taking. God bless you and your family.

15. Vernon pillai says:

Anthony u did everybody proud,u was my favorite joc.always a true professional,may God bless u and the family.Vernon pillai

16. Hogan Govindsamy says:

The inimitable Delpech ,what a fantastic riding posture – riding ranks seriously weakened by this sad turn of events.Whatever your health condition is now my man I,m hoping for a medical miracle so that you can still return some day soon.You are really missed on our racing tracks.All the best,keep fighting ,hope I am not sounding selfish when I say that I am hoping you still return to the saddle one day to light up the tracks once again.

17. RG says:

Anthony, as mentioned before, you have nothing more to prove. A true champion rider, always available for comments and feedback after a race (unlike Anton Marcus). Hopefully you will in some way remain in the game, maybe as a trainer or in another capacity. Good luck for the future, all the very best to you & the family.

18. Prasheen harrimohan says:

What a true legend. Will miss hearing ppl say ride him bonj. One of the most honest jocks I ever came across It sad and a great loss to sa horseracing. Hope u can one day return as a trainer. Ride him bonj forever in our hearts. Marcus doesn’t have much competition now

19. perd says:

still remembered him winning with savanah queen a future race at germiston from near the back a true pro went on to do great things abroad a star human and family man best wishes

20. Bruce Margot says:

Funny as a young Apprentice Anthony was not one of my favorites, however over the years watching his career, my admiration and respect grew, a true champion and gentleman, one of the best anywhere in the world to have graced the race tracks and interviews – Wishing him and his family tranquility, happiness and much laughter – Thanks Anthony

21. Brian says:

I remember in about 1988 he rode a horse for a good friend of mine over about 1600. He got off and told my mate “he needs further”. Well my mate was convinced he was simply a cocky little you know what and considering he wasn’t too far out of his time, “with that attitude he won’t go far”

He didn’t get the ride next time out but to cut a long story won 4 in a row over 3000 & 3200.

We loved giving him a needle as Anthony’s career began to blossom saying things like “if you’re not sure how far the horse will go, why don’t you ask Delpech?”

Mr Delpech, it is the racing public who owes you. No doubt we’l see you in the sport somewhere along the line

22. vinny says:

Good Luck Bonj on the path that is infront of you.

23. Mac says:

Wise decision Anthony but what a loss to the game. A multiple big race winner was just bringing them in for de Kock. We truly gonna miss you Delpech. Enjoy your new life.

24. Niran says:

Sad to have a top jocks career curtailed, consumate professional who rode with distinction worldwide ,great memories Anthony ,vengeance of rain ,igugu,bold silvano,greys inn…to mention a few. Thank you…. heartfelt Blessings for your future endeavours.

25. Stan Hodnett says:

I remember him riding for Joey Joseph

26. Pierre Fourie says:

Anthony. You only rode one horse for me and it won. Asstar. Very good sprinter and you rode a perfect race to bring him home by a short head. My other one, Silicone Valley, was scheduled to be ridden by you, but you fell ill and Donovan Dillon took over and won the Feature going away easy at Kenilworth. Thank you for all your support during all these years and please, stay involved in this beautiful industry.

27. Andrew says:

I remember ur great ride in the 1998 july on a talented horse called classic flag. Wat a partnership.

28. Gill Thomson says:

You rode my Bold Silvano to victory in the Durban July and I thought then what a gentleman you were. Thank you. Our loss is your lovely families gain.Good luck in thef uture. You should train if you still want an involvement

29. Arif says:

What a rider – you will be missed – I remember one of your top rides early in your career at Greyville – The horse was called Road to Reform. I knew at that time you would become one of the best. Go well

30. Adesh says:

As a punter since a young kid. You made many pounds for me. Lol. Your family needs and loves you. Take care bonji. I SALUTE YOUR COURAGE.

Anthony, Happy Birthday next Sunday 10th