Home » Racing & Sport » 30 Straight For Wonder Winx

30 Straight For Wonder Winx

History made as she wins three Apollo Stakes

Supermare Winx commenced her farewell campaign at Randwick today in style, running a race record time as she toyed with her opponents in the A$252,000 Gr2 Apollo Stakes run over 1400m at Randwick. She made history, becoming the first horse to win the Apollo three times.

Stretching her winning sequence to 30, it was just the sort of performance trainer Chris Waller and connections wanted to see at her first run since her fourth Cox Plate triumph in October.

Winx defeated the ever reliable Happy Clapper by 2.25 lengths with two-lengths to Egg Tart  – owned in similar interests to Winx – finishing third.

Jockey Hugh Bowman put Winx into a more forward position (fifth) as the field settled into stride out of respect for Happy Clapper, who tracked the leaders.

“We needed to be within striking distance but as the race unfolded we settled into a lovely rhythm, as we always do and it was a pretty comfortable race for me and Winx as well,” Bowman said.

“She was in pure control from the 600 metres when the pressure started to build.

“As I went past Sam (Clipperton, rider of Happy Clapper) I really asked her for a full effort.”

Winx has won 34 of her 40 starts. Bowman has ridden Winx 30 times for 29 wins

Part-owner Peter Tighe dedicated the victory to those Australians “doing it tough” in North Queensland with the floods and in Western NSW with bushfires.

“We hope it puts a smile on your face and gives you a little bit of hope and gives you something to think about and dream about,” Tighe said.

www.theaustralian.com.au

15 comments on “30 Straight For Wonder Winx

1. Graham. says:

I say Ronaldo is the greatest player of all time because he has played in 5 different arenas over 18 years and won everything……the whole lot. Winx reminds me of Messi……you just cant say he is the greatest as much as you want to…..WInx has only run at home….Boxers, football, rugby, darts, golf, tennis all sports have a travel moment. This is like Tiger only playing against Americans……….I would keep her running she is earning huge money every race and the record is protected as you know the opposition….Ipi Tombe would have been the greatest horse ever to run in Zim most probably never losing…..

2. Harold says:

Agree with you 100% Graham. Like they say of Shane Warne being the greatest spin bowler of all time. I feel that Muralitheran was a better bowler cos he opposed the best batsmen in the world while Warne never had to bowl against his own countrymen

3. Except that Muralitharan wasn’t a bowler at all.

Our “cousins” from Oz do seem to have a knack with mares though. Sunline, Makybe Diva, Black Cavair, Winx and Kylie Minogue

5. James George says:

So are the Boston Red Sox not the world champions although the won the World Series championship ?.

6. Rian says:

You right James, its Fake news, dont think he even played !!!!!1

7. Kay says:

Agree with Graham. Frankel was a better horse than Winx in my opinion. So is Ipi Tompi.

It’s my opinion that Despatch Rugby would beat the Stormers, al spring hulle weg ‘n bietjie stadig

LoL William. I heard at practice today, Robbie Fleck told his boys to take up their positions – So they all lined up behind the Goal posts.

Excellent ! Big lol

11. perd says:

stopwatch never lies for those who think winx are beating average horses go check her fractional times over various distances her last cox plate win she covered the last 800m at 5.6sec per metre 22.2sec last 400m 7yearold mare!

12. Wayne Fouche says:

Ah Mr. Perd I do not believe that times are that important. After all the great Sea Cottage never broke a record in his racing life (if my memory serves me well) and whichever way you look at it Winx runs against the same horses every time. Ho Hum……..

13. Wayne Fouche says:

Good day Mr. Editor

Is there any valid reason why my comment was not posted?

There are only ever valid reasons, Wayne!

Yours was posted – refresh your browser

Cheers

14. Harold says:

I agree with Wayne. Times are dependent on track conditions and performances are dependent on the opposition.