The rescheduling of Sunday’s Scottsville meeting to a new slot on Wednesday has had a Sporting Post reader making some constructive suggestions.
Cecil Pienaar of Albert Falls writes in the SP Mailbag that the accompanying photographs were taken at 14h00 on Sunday and show a lovely Scottsville – ‘my home track’.
No doubt we had rain preceding the meeting, and as an old timer I agree safety first for horses and riders
However it seems something has changed at Scottsville? In my opinion we’ve had meetings with yielding, soft, even heavy going at times.
Is there a drainage issue?
Yes, we are gearing up for treatment for the upcoming season, but this is an under utilised track most of the year.
Sadly, attendance is not like it was in the old days and by moving to midweek, even less will attend on the day.
Then again, I assume turnover is the name of the game and most punt online or at off course totes.
Some ideas to consider:
* More Sprint races down the straight, even an 8 race card at times
* Like Jozi, more work riders/grooms races
* Investigate an inner Sand, Poly track
* Consider Night racing. LED lighting has become very affordable and energy efficient. The huge open spaces has potential to Go Green with Solar
* With the Casino on site, and seemingly busy, get the PR guys in action to get people back to the track as well.
* Try and get families back around the inner parking, picnic areas.
In summary just some ideas, not criticism.
However, I am concerned that this asset isn’t being fully utilised.