The Emirates Racing Authority Stewards opened an inquiry on Wednesday 20th March 2019, into the notification by the Dubai Equine Forensic Unit that the pre-race urine sample taken from NADER AL KHALEDIAH (SA) prior to it competing in Race 6 “The GCC Cup” over 1700 metres at Sharjah Racecourse on Saturday 16th February 2019, was found to have a concentration of cobalt in excess of 100 micrograms per litre in urine.
Evidence was taken from Mr. Mutlaq bin Mashref (Trainer), Dr. Kieran Finn (ERA Regulatory Veterinarian) and Mr. Jahfar Nalakath (Chief Analyst – Dubai Equine Forensic Unit). The following matters were established during the inquiry;
- On Thursday 21st February 2019, ERA Stewards were advised of the irregularity to Cobalt in respect to the pre-race urine sample taken from NADER AL KHALEDIAH (SA).
- On Sunday 24th February 2019, Mr. M bin Mashref was notified via telephone and E-mail of the irregularity in the sample taken from NADER AL KHALEDIAH (SA).
- On Monday 25th February 2019, Mr. M bin Mashref advised that he wished to exercise his right to have the reserve portion of the sample analysed by another accredited racing laboratory in accordance with ERA Rule 95D(ii).
- On Friday 8th March 2019, the ERA Stewards received confirmation from the Hong Kong Jockey Club that the presence of Cobalt above the urine threshold was detected in the “B” sample of NADER AL KHALEDIAH (SA).
- Mr. M bin Marshref could offer no explanation throughout the inquiry, as to how the cobalt level in NADER AL KHALEDIAH (SA) exceeded the permitted threshold.
Trainer Mr. M bin Mashref was found guilty on a charge under the provisions of ERA Rule 95AAA 2, in that he presented NADER AL KHALEDIAH (SA) to race in Race 6 “The GCC Cup” (1700 metres) at Sharjah Racecourse on Saturday 16th February 2019, which was subsequently found, upon analysis of a pre-race urine sample, to have had cobalt administered to it, as evidenced by a concentration of cobalt in excess of 100 micrograms per litre in urine.
In determining an appropriate penalty, the Stewards considered a number of factors including:
- The circumstances of the offence;
- The seriousness of the offence, involving the presentation of cobalt above the threshold level;
- General and specific deterrence;
- The integrity and image of racing in the UAE;
- Previous penalties imposed for offences under ERA Rule 95AAA 2 in relation to cobalt;
- Mr. M bin Mashref’s record in relation to the prohibited substance rules (see below).
Taking into account these circumstances, Mr. M bin Mashref was disqualified for a period of 12 months, to commence midnight Wednesday 20th March, 2019 and to expire midnight Friday 20th March, 2020.
Pursuant to ERA 86(ii), NADER AL KHALEDIAH (SA) was disqualified from 6th place in Race 6 “The GCC Cup” (1700 metres) at Sharjah Racecourse on Saturday 16th February 2019 and the placings adjusted to:
Finish Place Horse Name Trainer Jockey
1st MUBASHER AL KHALEDIAH (SA) Mutlaq bin Mashref Abdulla Al Fairoz
2nd MORHEB AL KHALEDIAH (SA) Mutlaq bin Mashref Abdullah Al Odhaib
3rd AF MAHER (AE) Ernst Oertel Tadhg O’Shea
4th SHAREQ AL KHALEDIAH (SA) Lassad Marouane Royston Ffrench
5th AL MOBHER (OM) Younis Al Kalbani Abdul Aziz Al Balushi (App)
6th AF SANAD (AE) Khalifa Al Neyadi Bernardo Pinheiro
Mr. M bin Mashref’s record in relation to prohibited substances:
6th April 2018, MAYAL AL KHALEDIAH (SA) tested positive to the prohibited substance Flunixine.
ERA 86(ii) – Where any declared runner has been the subject of an examination under the Rules 8(vi) and or (vii) and has been found to have received a Prohibited Substances, the Horse shall be disqualified from the Race and from other Races as the ERA determines.
ERA Rule 95AA – The ERA gives notice that the following substances are also deemed to be Prohibited Substances when presented above these thresholds:
* Cobalt at a mass concentration of 100 micrograms per litre in urine or 25 micrograms per litre in plasma
ERA Rule 95AAA 2 – Any Trainer or other Person in charge of a Horse, which is presented to Race or performed a Test, or has Raced or performed a Test which is found (upon analysis) to have had administered to it a Prohibited Substance, shall be liable to a Penalty.
ERA Rules 95D(ii) – Upon the detection by an Accredited Racing Laboratory of a Prohibited Substance in the Sample from a Horse, such laboratory shall notify its finding to the Stewards, who shall then notify the Trainer of the Horse of such finding and give him the option to have the reserve portion of the Sample Tested at another ERA-approved Accredited Racing Laboratory. The Trainer will have 3 days to notify the Stewards of such requirement. A refusal by the Trainer to Test the reserve portion of the Sample shall not prevent the Stewards from having the reserve portion of the Sample Tested.
- Mr. Sam Shinsky (Chairman), Mr. Taylor Wilson, Mr. Simon Carey, Mr. Hamad Al Shamsi and Mr. Dhahi Al Jallaf (Trainee)