Home » Racing & Sport » It’s Tough Being A Good Jockey Some Days

It’s Tough Being A Good Jockey Some Days

Fourie gets two fines under new rule

Top Cape jockey Richard Fourie booted home three winners at Kenilworth on Tuesday but also twice incurred the wrath of the Stipes under the revised twelve strikes crop rule.

Richard Fourie – nailed twice (Pic – Chase Liebenberg Photography)

The rule, introduced by the National Horseracing Authority on Friday, allows a rider to only strike his mount a maximum of twelve times from start to finish.

Fourie, one of the most consistent and reliable jockeys around, was charged with a contravention of Rule 58.10.2 – read with Guideline M on the use of the crop – in that he used his crop more than 12 times during the race whilst riding Imperial Rage. He signed an admission of guilt and was fined R750 and was charged with the same offence and received the same penalty when winning on Timeless Tiara.

Craig Zackey, who was charged at Scottsville on Sunday when winning  on the 50-1 Special Blend for Duncan Howells, was again charged under the crop rule when going down narrowly on the 40-1 Winter Shadow in the Pick 6 opener.

We are keen to understand what would have happened had he not shown the necessary vigour in this tight finish?

Zackey signed an admission of guilt and was fined R750 for his indiscretion. He was fined R1000 at Scottsville – the Sporting Post is endeavouring to ascertain the reason for the ‘first’ offence being more heavy than the second – and whether it is related to the amount of excessive strikes.

Also – consider the distraction of counting every jockey’s  whip strike number – that must be time consuming and surely a distraction from other important monitoring duties required of the limited raceday staff complement?

After the East Cape Derby pace drag of Saturday, the Stipes called in all the jockeys riding in the second race and their attention was drawn to the importance of setting a reasonable pace in Western Cape races in future and they were advised that this will be closely monitored.

27 comments on “It’s Tough Being A Good Jockey Some Days

Ag nee f+k Marelise… Jocks getting fined for not riding horses out, now for over riding ….

2. Francois van Ghent says:

So once again, Zackey blatantly ignores the rules, and received just another fine…. this now becomes a serious joke, seriously…. what effect does the NHRA want the fine to have on ignorant jockeys?

3. Francois van Ghent says:

I think the fine is determined on how much the jockey was earning during the race, for instance, if he wins he will get enough commission to pay a fine of R1000, if he ends up the runner-up he will obviously earn less in stakes money and that’s the reason why the fine is only R750….so if he ends up out of a stakes cheque he will only receive a warning…..

4. JOKER says:

This new rule is the most scientific rule ever imposed by the NHRA.
    They took a poll of all horses in training and asked them whether they preferred being struck a maximum of 14 or 13 or 12 times during a race. The overwhelming majority voted for 12 times. The horses thanked the NHRA for considering their horse rights but remained disappointed because they thought that 3 strikes would have been more appropriate.

5. Shanil says:

Will we ever get value for our hard earned money that we invest in a horse any more if a rider has to be more concerned about his fine rather than his mount winning the race.

6. Brian says:

Good intentions. Seems to be a good old fashioned gouhlash

Maybe, new Stripes guidelines – the fine is determined vs the Odds of the horse.

8. Jonathan Shaw says:

Truly pathetic

Typo,, auto spelling for Ballies like me..

S t i p e s

But they as busy as TV refs lately…

Scottsville today… Welcome back Donovan Dillon.

10. Ian Jayes says:

The offending jockeys should be asked if they would prefer to pay a fine or get a flogging like they gave the horse. At least they got a reward for it, the horse just got sore.

1. karel says:

Yes, but which Master will administer the flogging?

11. Brian says:

I don’t know if the flogging would help.

We are led to believe the crop does not inflict pain.

12. Harold says:

And if the pace is slow in WC races how would they monitor this? Who would be culpable?

Other than all these fines & phone issues, I feel the jockeys come across extremely eloquent when interviewed.

I feel that most of the jockeys explain various angles of a race, while still catching their breath, very well.

Mr. Habib, Cheyne, Fourie, Fayde’herbe, Matsunyane, Hewitson, Kennedy, De Melo – they do better than most of the big marketing & adverting houses.

14. Ralph Fell says:

William, You certainly possess an eloquent turn of phrase, and at the same time convey your point well. I, too have the utmost respect for the jocks, all of whom are personalities in their own way. Then along came the suits to attempt reinventing the wheel.

That’s exactly my sentiment, Sir

Thank you Mr Fell, actually more than not, I think faster than I type or write, from school days. I might come across as deriving pleasure from my critique, but truly I don’t.

I really think the jockeys do a lot more than trainers and administrators to educate the public. Like in all aspects of life, you’ll always have one person to spoil the party.

I am one of three, and my Mom always said, “William, you my favourite, My favourite waste of time”

16. Cecil says:

He he, I used to be my Mother in law’s favourite, until I commented on her tattoo…

That’s good!

Haaaa Cecil !

Good and brave. Still married to that mother-in-law’s daughter ?

19. Cecil says:

I commented on the “whale tattoo” on her lower back. She said No No, it’s a dolphin, done long ago. I innocently replied it must have grown with her… Oh my!

Haaa, you did a Jerry Seinfeld on her !

21. Pranesh Parsath says:

What type of rule is this? So must the jockey count the amount if times he whipped the horse while riding? And on top of it just stop and lose a race because of a fine? NO!! He is there to win the race these rules are stupid as the new whips do not cause harm to the horse so why must the jock stop riding a horse out and actually try to win the race if the horse is not responding to being pushed out

22. Paul says:

William, sounds more the other Jerry to me. All Fur Coat ….

23. Paul says:

Stop riding to win a big concern. Even more so is safety: what if the horse suddenly starts veering off a straight line, potentially across other runners and the 12 strikes are all used up??? Then to add insult to injury, the rider gets done for causing interference.

So many scenario’s and consequences to digest, Paul.

Yet another sub-plot that I, from a “grandstand point of view” can’t figure out is :

How do we conclude or judge a jockey to have gone for the stick too EARLY ?

25. Paul says:

Very true, William. I fear that, yet again, the NHA are making a rod for their own back. Understand this is a “trial period” but I sincerely hope the many issues are addressed before this becomes permanent.

Bottom line: if really serious, the sanctions must be much harsher than present levels to act as a true disincentive: rider’s share of prize money far outweighs the fines. Germans have 5 strikes, mandatory 14 day suspension and loss of prize money. Not saying I agree (I hate mandatory pretty much anything) but that is certainly a disincentive.

Education the key, methinks. Last off the bridle and all that.