Home » Racing & Sport » Gateway To Glory!

Gateway To Glory!

Gallops at 07h00 on Thursday morning

The final field for the R4,25 million Gr1 Vodacom Durban July to be run at Greyville on Saturday 6 July was unveiled at a unique public event at the Gateway Shopping Centre in Umhlanga Rocks on Tuesday.

The proceedings attracted plenty of passing attention and generated publicity that has never been a feature of the ceremony – normally conducted behind doors under crystal chandeliers at an invitation only luncheon at Greyville.

Legends of the mall! The scene is set for the announcement (Pic – Candiese Marnewick)

SA champion trainer Justin Snaith defends his 2018 title with Do It Again heading a powerful quintet of challengers.

Sean Tarry with four runners and Mike de Kock with a pair are the other trainers with multiple runners. De Kock would have been pleased with both Hawwaam and Barahin drawing well.

There are five fillies in the 2019 renewal, including recent Gr1 winner Camphoratus, who comes in as a reserve.

Gold Circle Director Babu Nunan, NHA CEO Vee Moodley and Gold Circle CEO Michel Nairac observe the draw (Pic – privately supplied)

The 3yo’s have a big shout with five runners representing that age category – headed by the boom Silvano colt Hawwaam, who will be ridden by last year’s winning rider, Anton Marcus.

VODACOM DURBAN JULY (Grade 1)
Open to all Horses
16 2 Return Flight 52 109 A R Munger Sean Tarry
17 13 Fresnaye 52 105 A G Cheyne Joey Ramsden
18 5 Miyabi Gold 52 105 A S Khumalo Justin Snaith
19 14 Camphoratus 52 105 A Reserve 1 R A Hill/S R Hill
20 20 Zillzaal 53 104 TBA Reserve 2 Sean Tarry
Same Trainer – Not Coupled on Tote
(1,12,14,15,18) (4,8) (5,10,16,20) (6,17)

The July gallops will be held at Greyville on Thursday at 07h00.

64 comments on “Gateway To Glory!

1. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…No excuses all seriouly fancied runners drew well…Well done…Team MDK….Hawwaam to slaughter

2. V says:

Glad that the highest MR horses with the highest weights drew favourably. Makes for a great contest

3. Trevor.K says:

Even chances,in for good contest

Magnificent Seven, Yes. Good draw and Jockey. Definite QT horse, at least…..

5. Shadrack says:

Go hawwaam go

6. Michael Jacobs says:

Very nice that the July final field announcement was done in a public place. This is the biggest race in the country with plenty of non-racegoer interest. I’m sure a number of shoppers in the mall must have been quite intrigued and may very well come along to the race nect week, or even have a bet!

I hope Kenilworth racing are taking notes, Cavendish Square next year for the Met?

1. karel says:

They did the Waterfront some years ago.
      Not much public interest.

7. Roy says:

Class in the FIELD is Legal Eagle. He has been wisely RETRAINED for that distance….. watch the headlines on Sunday 7July… The Eagle Has Landed????

8. Michael Jacobs says:

Maybe closer to home- Canal Walk or Cavendish. Anyway, they’ve got to do something to spruce up a decidedly underwhelming SunMet. Hint, bring back the ordinary racegoers, 50 000+ of us attended the J& B Met in years gone by!

I suggest they hold the Met lauch @ Lansdowne Corner Shopping Centre. I very central, has ample parking and very close to Hanover Park where all the naughty boys are.

At least the organizers wouldn’t have to spend any money on fireworks.

10. Sagie says:

Gavin to win his first July. Go Rainbow bridge . Amazing draw.

11. Ronnie Naidoo says:

Congratulations and hats off to Gold Circle for bringing this event to the public. The venue was ideal as well. This is a very good initiative for the punter and new interested punters as well. This allows the general public to be interested and attend the big day. Well done once again.

12. Sagie says:

Gavin to blast home a Rainbow across the Greyville straight. Plum Draw. Go Rainbow Bridge Go.

13. Mayen Naidoo says:

Only 2 jockeys Marcus won the July 5 times and Fourie won on objection are riding. Time for a new jockey, trainer and owner to win this July. What’s the odds Hollywood?

14. Michael Jacobs says:

How’s about the old guy Mark Khan (????) winning the July? One of the best jocks never to win a July. A pity Jeff Lloyd is not riding this year as he also never won the race and he’s retiring this year.

Or maybe the only Apprentice in the race winning it ?

Luke Ferraris….

16. kiru naicker says:

Smanga won it as well. Heavy metal

17. Yogan soobramoney says:

A well done announcement with public involvement. In large malls to have a big screen and a machine to take bets… Something new for South Africa… Why only world cups etc esp soccer? There will be more first time punters etc. Since it’s my idea… Let me be part of it… Give me a Mike n I will pull it off..

18. Jay Akkiah says:

De Kok no excuses now that you got the draws
    Lets see your smile in the sunday papers

19. Neil says:

Snaith dark horse Doublemint to win it….got close in sunmet despite weight disadvantage and being last turning for home. Great jockey in PC Orfer. Any other supporters out there??

20. Mashie says:

Great to have a public draw but what a pity about Ramsden’s behaviour – spoilt brat and proof that money can’t buy class. The sooner he goes to Singapore the better. His behaviour is an absolute disgrace, whatever the excuse.
    I hope the July is a great day for all.

21. anand Chetty says:

The Met was damaged badly because of the denial of VIP members facilities at Kenilworth for KZN VIP members after the demerger. Politics between Gold circle operators and Cape administrators should not impact on the punter.
    I sat in the boiling sun the year I was deprived of this facility after years of flying from Durban to the Met.
    Never went back. Cape racing don’t under the impact to crowd and tote turnover from Durban punters

22. Cameron James says:

With Eyes Wide Open pulling a horrible draw, I can imagine the race caller Sheldon Peter’s scream out Doooooo Ittttt Again has Done it Again….. ????????????????. It there was ever a name that says it all.

23. Theron says:

The boss has been in town for the entire champions season.5 leg pick 6 marcus for 6

24. Melantheran Samuel Naidoo says:

Which horse received the biggest handicap this year?

25. gert says:

G Cheyne win on big city life and khumalo on heavy metal

26. gert says:

Niel doublemint all the way was just hoping strydom was on it because of jugement as it ran 5 l behind rainbow r and gets 5 kg is this the first year in a long time that strydom dont have a ride in july

27. Donald says:

Joey Ramsdens behaviour in throwing his draw numbers onto the ground instead of handing them to Graham Hawkins was a disgrace and disrespectful to the industry . I would have thought that horse racing , if nothing else , at least teaches us to accept the good with the bad !

28. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Johnny G what’s your take on Ramdens behaviour at the draws ? hoping you get the point now…the man has alright the right to be upset preparing a horse for the July and then to pull a horrible draw it’s a downer of note…J R was totally out of order..
    One must feel for J R it was at the spur of the moment and is extremely difficult to control ones emotions…J R if you started now and pulled a draw 1 you should be happy finishing a dirty 4th at the very best…if my thinking is correct I might add Twist Of Fate it into my quartets for 4th and why I think it’s a blessing in disguise that Twist of Fate pull that draw he’ll now be force to be sat on and could possibly enhance his chances of seeing out the distance….J G make sure Hawwaam gets his carrots every morning

29. Darryn says:

Surely there’s a less bias way of doing “horse” draws than doing “trainer” draws. Having 2 trainers take out 9 draws early is not the best option. It was the understanding horse numbers get drawn randomly and then the horses draw gets pulled. IMO that way would be a lot more fair to all trainers and owners and no sulking as its random.

30. Camphoratus says:

What about my comment was anything of the below

The Sporting Post encourages allcomers to feel free to have their say in the spirit of enlightening the topic, the participants and the originator of the thread. However, if it is deemed to be either offensive, insulting, personal, false or possibly unsubstantiated, the Sporting Post shall, on it’s own assessment, alter or remove comments.

Why are you asking Camphoratus?

31. Camphoratus says:

Surely the draw process would be a lot less bias if the “horse” numbers be drawn randomly than have “trainer” draw 9 of the draws early. That way its random with transparency and there can be no sulking with the process.

Hi Cameron, No, stick with your horse…

Did The Conglomerate not win from the widest draw for SIR Ramsden

Live action tm, must see

Magnificent Seven
    Rainbow Bridge
    Eyes Wide Open

Oh Yes and Frankie’s Horse, Hawwaam ????
    And add D I A for the QT

33. Head Scratcher says:

What is your idea of bias and randomness Camphoratus? I am struggling with your logic. Are you saying the trainers drawing is not random? Why would an early draw be non random while a later draw is prejudiced? Help me!

34. Camphoratus says:

How is it fair 1 trainer is allowed to draw for 5 horses and 4 horses at a time. Surely drawing per horse randomly a lot fairer. IMO. Surely a system of drawing horse numbers randomly out a hat then the trainer of that horse pulls the draw for that horse is a lot less bias against the system where a trainer pulls draws for all his horses at once.

35. Speedyvar says:

Camphoratus,if you toss a coin 19 times and it lands on tails every time, what is the odds of it landing on heads the 20th time?

1. karel says:

depends on what coin you are using – the current one seems to be loaded

Gert, right now I fancy Double Mint as well.

Of the top three, I’ll go for Hawwaam.

And on a purely sentimental and personal approach, I hope Head Honcho does a pillar to post on the whole lot of them.

Question to All… will Mr. Orffer be able to ‘make the weight’ of 53kgs on Doublemint ?

38. Wayne Fouche says:

I fancy Rainbow Bridge and can’t get hurt as I had a good punt on him in the Met. Unfortunately he has history against him. Very few horses have won the Met and July in the same year. A lot more have won the July THEN the Met in the following year. So I think I’ll have a few bob on Magnificent Seven each way. Hawwaam to short but looks real classy.

1. karel says:

The Met now is a very different race from what it used to be, weight-wise!
      Apples and pears.

39. Head Scratcher says:

It seems that a twist of fate, more commonly called randomness is always a loaded dice when randomness gets in the way of common sense.

1. karel says:

An omen! Twist of Fate, drawn 17, Juglall up.

40. Rian says:

Which one tastes better ???
    Cecil , lets hope a Filly doesnt upset your selection

41. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…I hear from a good source Magnificent Seven is out big blow to owner jock and trainer…Camphoratus becomes a runner I’m extremely happy for Robbie one could see how upset Robbie was not to have my the cut… Nice Boys

42. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…I see SP has now posted the scratching of Magnificent Seven sad for the connections and supporters

William, Piere Strydom hinted earlier this year that Doublemint was his type of July horse, in a way sad he lost out. Not sure his riding weight, but Corne has 10 days to trim down n kilo or 2, if needed.

Rian, true…. Eyes Wide Open not in my original calculation, but Cameron’s post last week convinced me.

If you were to select one Filly, which one would it be? Return Flight ?

44. Cameron James says:

Hi Cecil, in any other year I’d still fancy Eyes Wide Open from even draw 18, the problem he has is that there are quality indivuals here and whatever allowances he got from handicapping is negated with the bad draw.

Do It Again is a horse that won’t be stopping and from draw 10 is a serious runner even with 60kg. I said this before Do It Again has not won at 2000m over 3 attempts but won going away as a 3 year old after traveling 3 wide for most of last years July over 2200m.

He races fresh over 1600m and his sheer class gets him to win the prestigious group races over a mile. This horse is a 2400m horse and is now a fully grown beast of a horse. If the pace is hot which I expect it to be, I’ll nail my colours to the mast with Do It Again.

I wish Justin Snaith sends this horse to Meydan for the Sheema Classic, he will hold his own in that race and with Anton Marcus up, (with no disrespect to Mr Fourie) this horse suits Anton better!!!

I see Eden Roc is now 2-1, did you take all of the 5-1 Cecil? ????

Cheers.

CJ

45. Donald says:

Mashie you said it all – shame on you Joey Ramsden for that loutish act of throwing your draws on the floor !

46. Cameron James says:

I can’t believe the betting in the Garden Province Stakes. Oh Susanna is too short. With all due respect the 3 year old crop of fillies is stronger than the 2018 crop.

I’m no expert and rely heavily on memory but let’s look at some key races for fillies and mares at Group 1 level :2019

Paddock Stakes- 4 year old But no 3 year old fillies ran.
    Majorca Stakes- 3 year old in January winner
    SA Filles Sprint- 3 year old
    Empress Club Stakes – 3 year old

When Oh Susanna and Snowdance made merry as 3 year Olds let’s be honest as it was not a vintage crop. When Oh Susanna won the Met she received 9kg from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th horse. Maybe that flattered her as she hasn’t really recaptured that sort of form.

So take your pick on the best 3 year old filly of your choice and go with it.

Hello Cecil,

I think I remember that, didn’t he….?

Pity about your Magnificent 7 hey, terrible for the connections.

Cake it Easy

48. Niresh Ramdeyal says:

FRESNAYE all the way to the bank

Cameron, and have you noticed that Mr. Drier hasn’t gone for the Garden Province with Lady In Black.

I’m very surprised. She must be showing him that she wants a +2000m race now.

Can she stay ?

50. John says:

Doublemint. Perfect draw. Well handicapped and a July win will mean the world for breeding value. Quick pace from HH will also help…. race more open thsn betting suggest

Hello Cameron

Nope, LOL, Eden Roc not my money. No Frosted Gold ?

Could this be our banker ? I know you tipped this one even with Frosted Gold in contention

52. Cameron James says:

Hi William, staying is not the problem for her, in my humble opinion she seems outclassed.

Even with a 6.5kg weight pull with Do It Again she can’t beat him. I’ll make a bold prediction and say she won’t finish even in the top eight. 4 year old fillies are inferior to this bunch of horses again in my humble opinion .

Cheers…

53. Cameron James says:

Hi Cecil, I kinda figured Frosted Gold wouldn’t run, 5-1 ante post was a gift. Looked at many collateral form lines Eden Roc is my banker in the P6.

The way he won the Group 1 in Scottsville was impressive and is looking for this trip. Remember he won over 1400m in his 1st start. Easier going up in trip than reverting to a sprint and that sprint being a Group 1.

Good luck

Yes Cameron, that’s why I’m so puzzled Mr. Drier didn’t go for the Garden Province with her.

Just as she was making her bid in her last run, against the best, she was interfered with.

55. Cameron James says:

Maybe the allure of the July had more appeal to Mr Drier? And with the passing of Mr. Mitchell, wouldn’t it be lovely to see his colours in the winning enclosure although he his a part owner in Do It Again.

Even with the prize money on offer it makes better sense to have gone for the July.

She travelled well to a point which empahises your point, will she stay? I have my doubts.

56. gert says:

cecil pierre can ride 52 kg he is and will always be the best judge of pace but lets give corne the bennifit i realy think if he go forward and sit 5 – 8 from the front he can beat them but he need to move at the 800 m so he can skip clear and ran on

Gert, agree, but sad, a July without Piere !
    Then again there are only 18 rides, and so many jockeys. Think back a year – Richard Fourie didn’t have a ride.

Doublemint’s prep and weight makes him a Big Runner….

58. Adrian says:

Speaking of the Garden Province Celtic Sea apparently doesn’t stay the mile according to trainer after the Sa fillies sprint but is a runner nevertheless.A runner from the stable ran second to Oh Susanna in the 1400m on rising sun raceday and was finishing quickly but does not run.
    Any insight into Celtic Sea having a chance over the mile.

Adrian, you read my mind.

Celtic Sea’s turn of foot over the 1200 was out of this world. More often than not, it indicates that she’s a high class sprinter.

In turn, that brilliant quality can be somewhat blunted over a mile.

She certainly must try her luck over the 1600m but I have serious reservations of her BEATING all of the other 5 top contenders.

I miss the Beck colours in the big races, so good luck Celtic Sea.