Brett Crawford’s progressive Lammerskraal Stud-bred colt Armando made it Nursery hat-trick for his multiple Equus Champion Sprinter sire What A Winter when he coasted home to win the R200 000 Gr3 Cape Of Good Hope Nursery at Kenilworth on Saturday.
The popular Pick 6 banker on the afternoon, Armando showed good ability and character to set out and catch the free-striding Fearless Warrior inside the 200m in the small field.
Giving Bernard Fayd’herbe a feature double (in his five winners on the afternoon), Armando lengthened his stride and drew away to register his second stakes victory in a time of 73,9 secs.
Fearless Warrior ran his heart out and was full value for his second cheque, a half length behind the winner, and close to three lengths ahead of the balance.
In a nice touch, the beaten jockey MJ Byleveld gave the rampant Fayd’herbe a congratulatory fist pump at the pull-up.
Three Two Charlie stayed on into third in his post-maiden performance, without really threatening the top two.
Only five ran.
A R650 000 National Yearling Sale buy, Armando has won 3 from 3 and took his stakes earnings to R268 750.
Bred by Lammerskraal, the winner is a son of Equus champion What A Winter (Western Winter) out of the Yes It’s True mare, Big Mona.
Stipes report excerpt:
THE STARTER REPORTED:
- a) CAPTAIN TATTERS (R Khathi) was withdrawn by the Veterinary Surgeon at the start.
- b) SAVVY (L Mxothwa) was restless in the stalls.
- c) FEARLESS WARRIOR (M J Byleveld) jumped outwards sharply and made contact with ARMANDO (B Fayd’Herbe).
THE STIPENDIARY STEWARDS REPORTED: (NS)
- a) Jockey A Andrews (SNOW REPORT) reported that this colt made an abnormal respiratory noise in running. The Veterinary Surgeon was requested to examine the colt on its return to the unsaddling enclosure and submit a report.
- b) ARMANDO (B Fayd’Herbe), the winner, was selected for the taking of specimens for analysis. Assistant Trainer B Donnelly, acting on behalf of Trainer B Crawford, was advised. (BM)
Gr3 Cape Of Good Hope Nursery (SAf-Gr3)
Kenilworth, South Africa, June 8, R200k, 1200m, turf, soft, 1.13.09
1 – ARMANDO (SAF), 60.0, b c 2, What A Winter (SAF) – Big Mona (USA) by Yes It’s True (USA). Owner Mr R Ng; Breeder Lammerskraal Stud; trainer BJ Crawford; jockey B Fayd’herbe
2 – Fearless Warrior (SAF), 60.0, b c 2, Vercingetorix (SAF) – War Path (SAF) by Captain Al (SAF)
3 – Three Two Charlie (SAF), 60.0, b c 2, What A Winter (SAF) – Mairingi Bay (SAF) by Joshua Dancer (USA)
Margins: 0.50, 2.75, 1.00