Home » Racing & Sport » Let’s Win The Big One

Let’s Win The Big One

Vodacom Durban July day studying begins

2008 Gr1 Vodacom Durban July (photo: Gold Circle)

A R15 million Pick 6 pool is up for grabs at Greyville on Vodacom Durban July Saturday and the good news is that the Sporting Post digital racecards for the big day are now available right here online.

Click here to purchase your copy

Widely accepted as the greatest day of horseracing on the African continent, the Vodacom Durban July day programme includes nine feature races on the twelve event programme.

As part of the fun and excitement in the build-up, we are happy to encourage our posters – or experts –  to join forces and combine their years of experience and feel for the game by getting involved in some exotic bet fun.

Longstanding SP poster and friend William Milkovitch has kindly volunteered to co-ordinate the effort of compiling and placing the bets.

William Milkovitch – the co ordinator!

Whether involved or not, we’d like all to share in the exchanges of information and opinion.

So please use this editorial thread to share and provide all of the possible lifechanging input and opinion.

There are no minimum qualification criteria – William invites interested parties to mail him at [email protected]

You snooze, you lose!

118 comments on “Let’s Win The Big One

Hello SP Bloggers,

All communication will be conducted via e-mail only.

A simple Selection grid (excel) will be sent to you as soon as I receive your e-mail address.

Strict deadlines will be adhered to as to ensure transparency, maximum fun and avoid disappointment.

Submission deadline of your selections & your staked amount : Friday morning, 5th July, 9 am.

Notice of proposed pooled P6 perm : Friday noon, 5th July.

Notice of your approval/inclusion : Friday 5th July, 7pm.

Final notice of summary of all P6 entrants & your % of equity : Saturday 6th July, 9 am.

Notification for proof of submission of P6 bet on TOTE : Saturday 6th July, 9.30 am.

Lastly, all EFT’s, received by me, will be acknowledged as soon as the money hits my bank account.

Thanks William – we’d naturally want all the inside info, opinion, thoughts, gut feel and expertise to flow through this platform

Indeed, and bloggers just remember our P6/ass will be like fried chicken after a leg or two without the Sporting Post’s guidelines.

Hello William, Mr Ed

Look fwd to interesting debates, views …

@ Cameron, pls join in on this with your views, early selections and maybe the P6

Oh, one more thing, just two rules…..

No spitting please.

No baseball bats allowed.

Happy days

We already have 10 participants. At this rate the P6 pool will breeze past R 20 000 000.

I’m going to ask the TOTE to pay us out with those purple R5 notes. Then we can stack our winnings to the ceiling as a commemorative ‘heist’.

Further to my first post above, kindly note the following for the sake of clarity :

The template is for you to highlight/select your fancies.

I’m not dictating the selections for the final perm.

I’m going to pool/combine everybody’s fancies once all participates have e-mail me back the excel sheet I sent to ALL.

I certainly will show my selections/suggestions to all, but it will be a small part of the PEOPLE’S CHOICE.

I will definitely be part of the SP Bloggers syndicate.

The yellow and blue highlights is just an example for everybody, for now. ( Your first and second choices)

Those horses highlighted on the excel template that I sent you, are not my selections.

You pay in as much as you want/that suits your pocket.

On Saturday morning 9am, the 6th July, I e-mail everybody the structure and their share in the pool ….so I/You might have a share of R400 of the R 8 652 ticket, for example.

7. Moroamasedile Ashford Makgatho says:

Hi! William ; My email is [email protected]. Thanks

Wow, in the first leg of the Pick6, all of Sunshine Silk, Flichity By Farr & Strathdon are badly drawn.

No worries William, 3 kilometers around Greyville, plenty time to improve

Add Walter Smoothie ?

10. Cameron James says:

Hi Cecil will do closer to the time. I’ve caught the Pick 6 a few times in my life but it can give 1 heart ache. In 2010 I was rowing in with 8 horses in the last leg of the P6 only for JP van de Merwe to blow me out in a 2.4 million rand P6 with a mere 81% ticket I had in my possesion. It was a Mike Azzie horse if memory serves me correctly called Flying without wings.
    I had bankered Bold Silvano and I think it was Gold Onyx that caused the upset. The eight horses I had in there ran 2nd to 9th.

To make matters worse in that year the Garden Province was run as the 10th race, and I backed Here to Win heavily at 10-1, which was a freaking ridiculous price as she had galloped with Bold Silvano at the July Gallops a week earlier. She put up a commendable gallop and as soon as Bold Silvano had won, I climbed in.

So in line with that type of thinking I believe Soqrat is the horse to Beat in the 1800m on Gold Cup Day if Do It Again misses the race. SOQRATS gallop today was awesome, if Hawaam is supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread.

What did you think of Hawaam gallop today Cecil and William and especially you Frankie? ????

11. Cameron James says:

Hi William, do you belive horses have cycles of good form? I briefly looked at something now, Filichity by Farr came good around this time last year.

She ran 3rd behind Witch Craft in the 2400m race last year.

Then she ran 2nd to It’s my Turn on July day. If It’s my Turn ran here what price would he have been?

This year she ran 2nd to Seville Orange giving her weight and running strongly to the line at Scottville.

I haven’t got the card as yet, any idea whose riding her and her weight?

12. Michael Jacobs says:

Hi William

Michael Jacobs [email protected]

Cameron, I hear you 100 %. The one-out’s I’ve experienced with Pick 6 ‘s since inception could be a best seller.

Fortunately, for me, my mainstay bet or saving grace bet is the Place Accumulator.

Strictly speaking, I have won far, far more money for friends on the P6 than for myself. I’m happy with that though, I just don’t want to lose friends through gambling/tips.

Years ago, on 1 winter Saturday @ Kenilworth, I banked a 16/1 winner in the last leg of the P6.

In the second last leg, I selected 14 of 16 runners in a low grade handicap. One of the two I left out, @ R 29 , won. To say that he romped home was an understatement.

From 800m out I knew my ass was fried chicken. P6 was a complete carryover not even a 1% winner.

I spent R 64 only . I’m still crying ????????

Hey Cameron, I hear you. You won’t belief how close I came last w/e , big % P6 lost on Charles…

But the big one is around the corner

I am not sure why I am doubting Hawwaam, weighted and drawn nicely and a Jock that knows how to win the July ?

His gallop was OK, and MdK seemed happy. I like Double Mint now that Magnificent 7 is no more.

10. Flichity by Farrr drawn 13/16 (3000M)
    54.5 Kg L.Hewitson

Regards

Cameron – cycles

Without a doubt ! In the UK it is so prevalent.

With Filichity by Farr, you on spot-on about coming good at the same time a year ago.

I have had remarkable success with checking when a horse had previously had a good spell of form.

It works big time.

Filichity by Farr has Hewitson up carrying 54.5 kg

Cecil , I would find it very difficult to leave Walter Smoothie out.

17. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Camoren I believe it was a top gallop…I was also impressed with Do it Again and Rainbow Bridge’s workout…don’t read too much in Barahin’s workout….300 out the non believers will know their fate… I’ll be extremely disappointed if Hawwaam only wins by 3 Lenghts…

Oh Cameron, the Sporting Post have published their full July card. You can buy it on this very website, now

19. Asterix says:

Flichity by Far L Hewitson 54.5 Kgs

Hey William, when you talk P A, brings back fond memories of my own Mother, the PA Queen. Always looking to beat the favorite for a bigger PA payout

Oh, you are so right about tipping winners for others. I respect all tipping before the race, and if we’re out, then that’s it.

Over the years, Racing and Fishing helped me to achieve 2 of my top 3 must change/s

1. one out, get over it quickly, doesn’t help to tear up the race card, floek, skel En skree – Get a new one and study harder.
    2. The big one came off at the water edge, don’t break the rod. New bait, bigger hooks – cast deeper

3. Take the Mother in Law serious….
    NOT achieved
    Project in Progress

Have a great day’s racing….

Punt cleverly before the July, history suggests carry overs..

Mr Pienaar, I’m studying the racecard backwards …. Race 9 to Race 1.

So far, I make Natal owning race 8 = Thanksgiving, Tristful & Q the Music

Interviewed Muzi in the week – regards Thanksgiving one of his best rides on the day

22. Mechack says:

This sounds like a fun initiative and I look forward to being a part of it.

I’ve enjoyed reading the articles here for some time, and especially the comments! Sending you an email right away William…

Let’s win the big one!

Haa Cecil, you’re funny.

And another trend that I have noticed is the smaller I play the bigger I win.

In 1987, playing for 5 neighbours in our street, on the Natal PA (The Republic Day Handicap) we won just less than 50 % of the whole pool !

I remember Honey Bear (R Rixon), Gamblingsgay (PSteyn) and another outsider filling the first 3 places.

Karel Miedema’s small white printed booklet, Racing Record, which used to arrive in the post, played a big part in the whole street buying new furniture !

In those days I had a telephone betting account with each of the three provinces. So then, I would play a Cape PA on the Transvaal Tote to get a better payout etc etc.

What a laugh

That’s good news Mr. Editor, I think Thanksgiving is ready !

William, it’s funny how these stories from back then brings back good memories

I also remember a small small 4 pager called Abatikati, spelling not sure…. My late Mom’s favorite… On the back page it laid out your dreams into lucky numbers….he he, and dare you challenge her

Mr Ed, Thank You, I am a big follower of Muzi, and Thanksgiving a nice 7 – 1 shot

Now that Frosted Gold is out, Eden Roc is starting to look like a possible banker

Walter Smoothie looks correctly weighted for this one

Cavivar could run second again, this time to True to life

Candice Bass quiet so far in KZN!

26. Just remember, the highlighted horses on the template that I’ve sent to all, is purely an example.

Where’s all the Eastern Cape bloggers/punters ?

Are they all full-time synagogue/church-goers now, not that there’s anything wrong with devout worship.

28. vernon says:

hi William my E mail address is [email protected]

Funny you mention Mrs Candice Bass Robinson, Cecil. I never punt horses to Win in those two 2 y’o feature races on the July card, but I have to say I like Roll In The Hay.

Historically, those to races give me the ‘creeps’ betting wise, but with Mr. Fayd’herbe up I might break from tradition.

30. Rian says:

William, I remember that day as if yesterday, caught the trifecta 34,000
    I flew down from Jhb the morning as had to deliver some disks to Durban command and it was the Monday after the Sat racing and the Taxi driver asked me if he must pick me up in time for races, didnt even know that the last few races were postponed
    I went and boxed the Cape horses and thank goodness it rained Sat
    Millards outsider ran in first three but not good with names
    Will email next week to take part in P6

31. Michael Jacobs says:

The forerunner of Winning Form and Sporting Post was a narrow little red book called race form (I think). About 30 years ago. My friend and I won an R11 000 PA using just the top 2 selections in that book!

I have a goid feeling about this joint venture! 3 years ago the pick 6 paid R4Milllon when The Conglomerate won! Anything is possible !

1. karel says:

That little book is how we started …
      The method is still the same for the Sporting Post ratings!

That’s right, the Millard outsider, after a few minutes I’m sure I’ll remember. That was BIG money then Rian !

Rian, 1988 – Honey Bear won , I think the horse that ran third was Cowdray Park ?

1. karel says:

Gamlingsgay 2nd?

34. Rian says:

Mr Brown snr horse ran 4th, Gary Molloy rode Honey Bear
    3 tickets shared the pool, must have been a huge PA

Gamlingsgay – yes, owned by the Zoccola’s

Mr Jacobs, and then Karel’s even thinner white booklet, Wednesday & Sat, used to get it delivered in the post.

Once the postman delivered it two doors down from me. I tell you, the neighbours were well aware of how important it was to me and ultimately to them.

Yes, exactly the same principles are applied today, except Sporting Post save on stamps !

Rian, one of our biggest wins for sure. Bought my first place

Back to the task ahead… at this early stage it appears as if we’ll have one helluva kitty for next Saturday !

39. Shanil says:

Hi William my email is [email protected]

40. Lawrence Schaefer says:

The Bridge floated over Greyville on Thursday morning.Gavin was lost for words and seemed in shock when interviewed after giving the Bridge his July gallop.What a looker too is the Bridge!
    Find a horse in this year’s July field to beat Rainbow Bridge and then you have found the winner of the race.

Ladies & Gentlemen,

The response thus far as been remarkable. It looks like we’ll have at least R 20 000 by Friday 5th July !

42. Shriv says:

Hi William
    I remember using your tips last year and won some good money. Hoping for the same again this year. My email is [email protected]

43. Shriv says:

Oh hold up, do I gotta pay this year ? For the tips?

No Shriv – William putting together the exotics – if you choose to invest

Good day Shriv,

I’ve just sent u the template.

And again, as I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread, I’m not dictating the selections. I’m pooling everbody’s fancies together, and will Group e-mail everyone the proposed perm prior to submission.

It’s like the shareholders need to pass the resolution first, so that we can CAPTURE the tote !

have fun !

45. Tyran Chetty says:

Hi Willam

Please add me in aswell…My email is [email protected].

Thanks

46. Yugen says:

Hi William
    I am Yugen hope to get some tips from you heard alot about how you. My email is [email protected]. can’t wait to make some money on your tips. Have an awesome vodacom durban July

47. Shriv says:

Thanks so much guys!! Much appreciated.

48. Stewart says:

Please include in the group email thanks [email protected].

Mr. Chetty & Yugen,

Thanks for your participation. Going it alone on the big race-days can be drab on occasions . I’m keen on the comradery of sharing information.

We just have to hope that the Zama-Zamaers don’t steal the copper cables at Greyville on Saturday.

Updates will follow with regards the syndicate size on Monday.

50. Leon says:

Hi William
    Herewith my email address
    [email protected]

51. mbuso mkhwanazi says:

Hi William I like to be in but I’m not sure about the procedure, my email address is [email protected]

Ladies & Gentlemen : Greyville Race 8 – Infamous Fox

Hollywoodbets have this lovely grey @ 3/1 to WIN. I’m well aware that he won this race last year, didn’t he.

The next in the betting is 13/2 !!

I give Infamous Fox no chance of winning with 62kg , but no chance.

Please help anybody …should I check myself in at the sanatorium/mal-huis ?

Good Afternoon Mr. Tarry : Legal Eagle – the darling of South African racing.

Sir, I have never & will never ask a trainer if his horse will win. Rather, I ask you this :

Given Legal Eagle’s age, weight in the July, draw, 1 previous run @ Greyville & his general well-being (that only You & his dedicated groom can observe), what realistic MR are you hoping “the king” can post/return on Saturday ?

a 120, a 115 or ….?

William, nope Infamous Fox not for me…
    Did he win last year??

Thanksgiving has had some nice prep runs, looks the one

Tristful and Q The Music, like them as well, but race this year is 1600m, not 1400

55. Cameron James says:

Hi William, I agree with you, Infamous Fox won’t win. From the very little time I’ve spent browsing the card the horse to beat has to be Silver Maple.

He was beaten by Infamous Fox by 1.45 lengths but is now better off by 0.5kg. However that was over 1400m, now they go the mile. I believe Silver Maple will love the mile and don’t forget he ran close up to Rainbow Bridge receiving 9kg over a mile. With all due respect Infamous Fox is no Rainbow Bridge over 1600m.

One thing you can assured of Justin’s horses will be fit as they prepare for these big days. Could be the horse to beat?

Cecil, sorry, he won this race last year carrying 52kg, carded as race 12, beating Perovskia (61Kg).

Luna Child was in that very same race, carrying 54.5kg, running 3.55l back. The weight turnaround is a massive 12,5 kgs.

Well this should be interesting.

Cameron, Mr. Justin Snaith has been talking plenty, for a long while, about Silver Maple. Yes, surely his looking for this 1600m.

I just can’t fathom out the 3/1 price of Infamous Fox, to WIN ?

57. mbuso mkhwanazi says:

Rainbow Bridge 5/1, shit in, I’m already in the queue to collect my ????

58. Stan says:

Hi my name is Stan. My email address [email protected]

59. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Race 8 one must consider Marchingontogether if the gelding has helped big runner he beat Q The Music soundly behind Gunner although there is a 7kg swing around one must take into consideration that Marchingontogether had just turned 3 and his 1st run in open company and never raced for 2 months and some change….Social Order a must inclusion course and distance winner jockey strike…Crown Towers impressive when winning I do believe that Crown Towers will be right on top of Trisful this time round and could even turn it around…The filly Luna Child I must agree with William big runner plus a plum draw for a change… Thanks Giving giving 5kg away to Trisful and 5.5kg to Crown Tower… big question mark for me is draw 1 could make matters worst if he gets left again pity about the starting issues he’s proven himself that he could with the best on the day not disgracing himself

60. Asterix says:

Yegen Chetty, In Race 8 I think the winner will be one of the 3 year olds. Personally I like Captain of Tortuga. Very consistent Gauteng form. His run in November was full of merit. I think he will only improve at Greyville.

Mr. Frankie Zackey … We haven’t received your e-mail address yet for the SP Bloggers Pick Six Syndicate .

Do you gamble ?

62. Rajen Govender says:

Infamous fox..jockey’s only ride for the day.

63. allister says:

please i like to get tips for a good quartet and good pix 6

64. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…[email protected]….yes i do play professional started at a very young age my dream was to become a jockey unfortunately my weight was a problem….I was part of Derrick Flynn’s Team and was David Safi’s right hand man both whom had mastered the game…Horse racing is what I do for a living it’s my only form of income…

65. Michael Higgs says:

Willie i agree roll in the hay big runner Barahin will win July easing up from Hawaam !

No Michael, no easing up, they must ride their mounts out to the line ????????????

I hoping for Roll in The Hay, that would be nice.

I have something must unusual to share with all the Bloggers..later on today.

Race 3 – Greyville – Bunker Hunt gets to carry 60 kg’s in this Grade 3.

Wow, he has it all to do.

Another ridiculous price of 33/10 to WIN.

Ja, and all the State Capture boys will land up ” in the can”… 33/10 ?

68. Michael Higgs says:

yes infamous fox won last year at 14/1 i backed him Juglall rode him was doing the banking 400 out i agree tough task to win with 62kg on back jocks only ride for the day !!

69. mbuso mkhwanazi says:

Gavin Lerena,go you good thing go,hit them hard boy (Race 7)

70. Samantha says:

@william I gamble 😉

That’s marvellous Samantha, and on a Riverboat ?

Shall we ? All abooooard ????????????

72. Samantha says:

Well I worked a July once as I’m a chef never got a chance to bet and currently visiting SA on holiday .. I do bet occasionally in NZ but not really horses more rugby etc and I play cards. But never been to sure how to bet for horses and to scared to know cause I’ll end up …. lol

SP Bloggers, initially I wasn’t going to say anything but in the spirit of the People’s Perm, I thought I’d run this by you…

This Friday past, while attending to all your invite e-mails, I received this e-mail with the subject ” July Pick6 “.

I didn’t respond straight away, which is not my nature, but rather let it simmer for the want of a better word.

However, on Saturday, I responded. Check it out below :

WILLIAM MILKOVITCH
    To:Sadie Tyme
    29 Jun at 13:39

???

Unfortunately not Honeybunch, I’m Belgian.

Is that you, Mrs. Jones

william

On Friday, 28 June 2019, 15:35:40 GMT+2, Sadie Tyme wrote:

Hi William,

Are you celibate ?

Sadie

1. karel says:

Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose Tyme has come…

Well Samantha, firstly, welcome to SA and enjoy your holiday. If you want to have a dabble, your’e welcome to participate in our ONE DAY VENTURE.

75. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…[email protected]
    William i crew up in the industry it was always my dream to become a jockey unfortunately my weight was a problem at the time…introduced the Marwing boys to the game never forget catching a midnight flight to Durban with Weichong for his final interview At Greyville to become a Jockey…Yes I play on a professional level and believe it or not it’s my only form of income…Derrick Flynn pulled me into his circle and was he’s main runner…I then joined David Safi and was his right hand man both whom mastered the game..Then years down the line decided on becoming a bookmaker at Turffontein Pavilion with my Brother Warren and the late Derrick Flynn…I’ve been around the block many times William

76. Calvin says:

Hi my email address is: [email protected].

77. Samantha says:

How do I @william ?

78. Natasha phalad says:

please email me the tips ☺️

79. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Hi William don’t think I’m being rude I have replied for the 2nd time now not sure what’s going on it should have been posted by now Cheers Frankie

80. randle says:

will it be the first time oh sussana and snowdance run against one another. it will sure be exciting to watch.

81. Isak neels says:

Hi William I am in

Hello Frankie, I think the e-mail you used from this website reads [email protected].

Just take the last . away from uk

Did you use this e-mail address as I certainly haven’t received a blank e-mail from You.

All the best

William

Well thanks for been so supportive Karel .

All I’d like to say to you is that this Sporting Post website is the most refreshing idea since the South Easter !

84. Samantha says:

I emailed ya but off to bed now William chat soon via email.

85. Sivy naidoo says:

My email is [email protected]

Mr Neels , you need to send me a blank e-mail Sir, so that I can send you the selection template :

[email protected]

Good evening All SP Bloggers Durban July Pick6 Syndicate.

I have the pleasure in confirming 41 participants thus far.

I’m fairly confident we with have +R 30 000 to spend on the perm.

First group e-mail will go out late Thursday evening.

Giddy up

[email protected]

91. Adrian Munsamy says:

Hi William

Adrian [email protected]

92. amunsamy says:

Hi

9th race Would not have hesitated bankering Oh Susannah in the 9th if 1800 or 2000 as she is all class , maybe her class can see her out over 1600 , Front and centre has a turn of foot and Santa Clara will prefer 1600.

93. Jay says:

Hi william my email is [email protected]

94. trevor says:

why do i get a feeling Hawaam may get scratched

And Trevor…

Ja,

He can fly

????????????

Supersport ad

96. Edwin says:

Hi William….my email is [email protected]

97. Mbuso Mkhwanazi says:

Hi William,I’ve just transferred money into SP Bloggers Account as promised pls confirm if it has gone through,I’m away for few days and unable to communicate via email ???? but I will be back on Friday morning.Thanks

I hereby confirm receipt of your stake money, Mr. Mkhwanazi.

All the best

William

99. Kevin says:

Hi want to get involve in pick six /want to no how to get involve

100. cyril applesamy says:

Hi, William
    My email is [email protected]

This venture is extremely fluid.

We’ll certainly have +R 50 000 for the PEOPLES PERM.

William as @ 10.14 am Wednesday

I’d like to relay to All participants, that unfortunately, we cannot place the bet with Hollywoodbets as they have a Pick Six payout limit of R 10 000 000.

If there’s a R 13 587 666 payout, then I’ll land up “in the slammer”, and what’s more .. my helicopter is still in for repairs ????????????????

103. Samantha says:

I will get back to you today just had a few issues yesterday and I will look at horses and send you my choices and money 🙂

104. Teddy says:

Hi William
    Herewith my email address
    [email protected]

105. Patricia says:

Hi William I would really love to win this July NVR had much luck before maybe this could be my lucky July 2019

Patricia, kindly send me a blank e-mail – [email protected] …and I’ll gladly assist

We have 80 participants

William as @ 23:19,20,21…..