Home » Racing & Sport » Brian Wiid Passes Away

Brian Wiid Passes Away

Veteran horseman trained for 45 years

Veteran Gauteng trainer Brian Wiid has passed away in the Union Hospital.

He suffered a stroke over a week ago but was reported to be making progress.

Brian Wiid – top man

The 72 year old Brian trained racehorses for 45 years and conditioned some top horses, including the likes of champion sprinter Knife Edge and Summer Handicap winner, the Jean Heming ‘chuck out’, Cardinal Fury.

The Sporting Post extends sincere condolences to his wife Ronel, their family and friends.

A full tribute will follow to one of the great old schoolers of the game.

37 comments on “Brian Wiid Passes Away

1. bob kistnasamy says:

What a loss to the industry. Brian was a wonderful individual who was always accessible to talk to the racing public. May his soul rest in peace. I would also like extend sympathies and strength to his family during this difficult period.

2. Avril L says:

RIP Mr Wiid and thank you for all the chances you gave Gavin as an apprentice. He held you in such high regard. Deepest sympathy to his family and wishing you strength during the days ahead.

3. Michael Ndlovu says:

MICHAEL NDLOVU
    REST IN PEACE BRIAN

4. Steve says:

Rest In Peace Champ, You were always such a fine Soldier.

5. RIP Brian. I echo Avril’s words. Condolences to the family.

6. Karin Render says:

So sorry to hear this. RIP Brian. Deepest condolences to his family.

7. Mel Mienie says:

So very sad to hear – one of my favourite people on the racecourse. Always so friendly. Fly with the angels Mr Wild and sincere condolences to Roenel and family.

8. Geoff Woodruff says:

Very sad news and sincerest condolences to the family. RIP Brian.

9. Samantha Dames says:

So sad… Mr Wiid was a down to earth and genuine person. Whenever I had the pleasure of dealing with him, he always spoke very proudly of his wife, children and grandchildren. My condolences to his family and friends, he will be missed by all! With sympathy Samantha Dames

10. david ferraris says:

Very sad news. We all thought he was on the mend after suffering a stroke. Condolences to Brian’s family. A very sad loss to Racing.

11. Siva says:

Rest in peace Brian .Condolences to Brians family.God bless your soul

12. Mike Frankham says:

This is sad news indeed. Brian Wiid was a superb trainer. I had won many a bet on a horse trained by him in my younger says. My condolences to his family and friends.

13. Mike Frankham says:

I apologise for not reading my post before pressing that dreaded ‘send’ button…I had wanted to say Brian Wiid. So I say again, Brian was a superb trainer and I had won many a bet on a horse trained by him. RIP Brian Wiid and condolences again to his family and friends.

We did adjust it Mike

14. Toni says:

Rest in peace uncle Brian from the whole phumelela gaming and leisure horse transport department.. Such a sad loss for the horse racing industry

15. Logan Chetty says:

My condolences to the Wiid family.. A sad loss indeed!

16. Michael says:

R.I.P Good man

17. Cliff says:

What a wonderful man no shit ever
    M.H.D.S.R.I.P
    Will miss you

18. Toni says:

Rest in peace uncle Brian wiid from phumelela gaming and leisure horse transport department. Condolences to his wife and family

19. Mike says:

Humble ,loving and caring man ….
    RIP Mr Wiid we will miss you

20. David Hepburn-Brown says:

RIP Brian you were a true gentleman

21. Sonu sewraj says:

Rest in peace Brian…sympathies n condolences to the bereaved family…

22. Willie de Koker says:

RIP BRIAN. Condolences to the family

23. Neville Melville says:

Rip brian

24. George Ellis says:

Rest in peace Brian and my condolences to the family

25. Heather Adamson says:

We all grew up in Bezuidenhout Valley, and I have fond memories of those days. You will be sorely missed, my condolences to Roenel, Patricia and their family.
    RIP Brian

26. Ramesh says:

Condolences to the family, the racing industry lost a great man.

27. Collin says:

Rajen Govender! *Edited)
    this platform is to offer sincere condolences to the Wiid family and here u are rambling about dbles and how much u lost in the casino…. MAN… A wife has lost her husband and kids have lost their daddy… Show some damn respect man…. Do u even know who Mr Brian Wiid was… You money monger… It’s people just like u who don’t respect this passion… (The sport of kings)

That was a betting related post
      Have taken it off this thread, Colin

28. Gavin says:

I had many winners for Brian remember Harrison and others. Good man that will be missed.Condolences to Roenel and his family.

29. Richard Mogemi says:

My heartfelt condolences to the Wiid family and friends. Uncle Brian as I used to call him every time I see him was a very humble person and a man of substance, may his beautiful soul rest in eternal peace.

30. December says:

R. I. P. Brian we will miss you a lot.

31. Ralph Fell. says:

In the mid 90’s Cardinal Fury (Marthinus Mienie) was how I first heard about Brian. I was fortunate to meet him thereafter and came to know him well. He was always willing to rate his runner’s prospects. More importantly he was a jovial, affable man with charisma and joie de vivre. This ‘old school’ gentleman will be sorely missed.

32. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey….Uncle Brian you’ll definitely be sorely missed by all I remember the good old days when i was a runner for the late Derick Flynn I’ll never forget the coups Yourself Lawrence Riley and Derick used to pull off…not only a good trainer but a fantastic human being…we had some good laughs just the other day out at meyersdal tatts…I’m really saddened by the news God Bless your beautiful soul…my sincere condolences to the Family

33. Leonie says:

Always gave Peter many chances.. Such a gentleman RIP condolences to his family.. Very sad to read this 😥

34. david mollett says:

Brian was a superb guy and – in my presenting days – one who was easy to interview and always gave whatever information he could about his runners.
    Ralph Fell is 100% correct, Brian was a “jovial, affable man with charisma.”
    Only four weeks ago we had a long chat at the Vaal – it was a sad day for him with one of his runners having to be put down.
    He had a number of owners who stuck by him through thick and thin including the Hodges Bros, the Barkhuizen Bros, Keith Wood and Michael “Knight”.
    The game has lost someone it was a pleasure to know. Condolences to the family.

35. James Goodman says:

Really sad, chatted at the 2yo sale and he was so upbeat although had lost a few important patrons.
    This alone might have bought on the stroke, but am sure the pressure of a small yard is insurmountable. Brian you were an asset to racing and you will be sorely missed. RIP and condolences to Ronell and his family.