Home » Racing & Sport » NRB Systems Bushed?

NRB Systems Bushed?

How did the winner get into a maiden plate?

The National Racing Bureau’s control systems and checks and balances must be up for some investigation after a one-time winner managed to land up being accepted in a maiden plate.

While the former Gauteng based Tsitsikamma Bush was withdrawn from Monday’s Fairview second race as ineligible by trainer Alan Greeff at 07h55 on 24 September, the fact that the 4yo gelding, who won a maiden at Turffontein on 9 March 2019, actually made the final field must be a cause of some concern.

Final acceptances for the meeting were on the morning of 23 September and the fact that the trainer realised the error and scratched is a further indictment on a possible lack of official control.

While nobody is suggesting any intentional wrongdoing, the NRB’s systems failed and the former Ashley Fortune trained son of Philanthropist could has caused embarrassment in an age where technology should handle this type of check with eyes closed.

The incident comes on the heels of Phumelela’s call last week to trainers to assist with ensuring optimum field sizes in the best interests of racing.

The letter to trainers stated that the best interests of racing and most stakeholders are not being served where large numbers of horses are either being eliminated or scratched on draw at the expense of allowing another race with a paucity of entries/declarations to stand.

The NRB systems surely need to support the process.

No press release was issued after the error was detected and the Sporting Post has requested a comment and clarity from the authorities.

Have Your Say

Comments Policy
The Sporting Post encourages everyone to feel free to comment in the spirit of enlightening the topic being discussed, to add opinions or correct errors. All posts are accepted on the condition that The Sporting Post can at any time alter, correct or remove comments, either partially or entirely.

All posters are required to post under their real and verified names, you can adjust your display name on your account page or to send corrections privately to the Editor. The Sporting Post will not publish comments submitted anonymously or under pseudonyms.

The views of any individuals that are published are NOT necessarily the views of The Sporting Post.

16 comments on “NRB Systems Bushed?

  1. WILLIAM MILKOVITCH says:

    Oh well, they tried to boost the field size.

    In Cape Town, for the month of September, only 480 horses faced the starter. The two biggest fields were both maiden plates… both with 15 runners.

  2. Michael Jackson says:

    Whatever has happened to Mr “Transparency” Vee Moodley. At the roadshow he told us that he’s era would be about communication, transparency, information and open cards, but to date he has not responded to any of the dozens of things that has gone wrong at the NHA since he became CEO. The Sporting Post has put 9ut numerous requests for comment, but nothing has been forthcoming! Looks like Moodley is all Hat and no Horse!

  3. Armchair Jockey says:

    Is this not embarrassing for the trainer as well? How did he nominate a horse which was already a winner? Can you get his comment as well? The NRB need to sharpen their checks as this should not happen at all.

    1. Editor says:

      NHRA CEO Vee Moodley kindly reverted to us and advised that the error was brought to his attention by Trainer Ashley Fortune.
      “Unfortunately there was an oversight when the weights were finalized by the Handicappers at final entry stage,” says Vee.

  4. Brian says:

    Wow! Vee transparency. What were you doing? Why did you need the trainer to tell you

  5. Wayne Jooste says:

    Embarrassing to say the least, it’s become a circus with many clown’s at the helm…!!!

  6. Pops says:

    So could it be according to Mr. Moodley it was the handicappers fault by giving this one time winner the same weight as the maidens in this Maiden Plate?

  7. Roderick Mattheyse says:

    trainers enter horses into races, handicappers decide if they are eligible based on weights/ratings/winners if they are in maidens.

    hardly a nomination session goes by without eliminations based on ineligibilty.

    Trainer should not have nominated and handicappers should have eliminated – and then surely someone other than the ex-trainer should have picked up the booboo

  8. Gregor P says:

    Do the NHA and Phumelela realise why there are so many negative comments about them on sporting post and elsewhere on the internet?

    The answer is elementary….They do not appreciate that in this day and age of information technology, punters are well informed, they are not fools and the internet has given them a voice they never had before.

    It is high time that the NHA and Phumelela understand that need to be more frank and transparent.

    If a poll was taken, they would be shocked to find that most punters do not trust them. This is because they are unwilling to acknowledge any wrongdoing on their part.

    Take for example the advice of the NHA CEO who said that “Unfortunately there was an oversight when the weights were finalized by the Handicappers at final entry stage.” 

    Seriously, Mr Moodley? Obviously there was an error. Duh!!
    We want an honest explanation. We want real answers and certainly do not want the answer spewed forth.
    What about things like why did the NRB allow the horse to be entered? What steps is the NHA taking to prevent this from happening again? Is the real problem that the NHA does not have control and oversight over the NRB to which it has abrogated some of its functions?

    If the NHA and Phumelela want punters to start believing in them, they need to start the process and do the necessary. If they continue as they have, punters will eventually turn up the game and move to other forms of gambling. I am surprised that they have not yet figured this out. Horse racings decline can only be pointed at…..

  9. Graham Hurlstone-Jones says:

    Why does evrything stink ? ….everything. What more can they get wrong on a weekly basis…? It does not stop. The only thing I know about “things going wrong” usually means something else is going on, it is done to distract from the agenda….

    1. karel says:

      Why on earth are you still here?
      You are moaning like a rutting elk at everyone and everything, at any opportunity (as perceived by you).
      There’s more to racing than what you perceive. Go learn!

  10. Johnny Peter says:

    Response to Pops or Poops a lot of maidens have a higher merit rating than one time winners so if these one time winners ran in a maiden plate at level weights it would be significantly out in the weights.

  11. James G says:

    The Racing bureau is headed by Raf Sheik, and surely someone in the organisation must take responsibility. How this horse got into the racecard is truly remarkable! Unacceptable to all of us who pay these guys salaries. That is what tote turnovers do. Or am i incorrect??
    We commented on Winning Ways.

  12. WILLIAM MILKOVITCH says:

    Karel, just because you have recently been fortunate enough to have holidayed in Canada, doesn’t mean you have to rub our noses in it, what with all your fancy elk talk. 😊

  13. AceKAV says:

    Mr Goodman for you as an EX trainer you should not be trying to make this situation way more intense than it already is. Furthermore i can guarantee you MR GOODMAN that you sir had never paid anybody’s salary at the NRB. People like you should refrain from commenting on anything regarding horse racing. You sir can not in any instance be throwing around names of anybody.

    1. Editor says:

      AceKAV – Mr Goodman is entitled to express an opinion.

      Other than Mr Vee Moodley’s statement in response to our query, where is the official press release?
      Why did the former trainer of the horse have to tell the new trainer who then he had to withdraw the horse ‘ineligible’?
      More questions than answers on this one.

Leave a Comment

‹ Previous

De Kock Shapes Up For Summer

Next ›

TAB Rolling Doubles Back

Popular Posts