Home » Racing & Sport » Quartet Carryovers – What Happened To Them?

Quartet Carryovers – What Happened To Them?

New policy implemented in April already

I see that we no longer have the weekly quartet carryovers to the last race of local Sunday meetings.

This practice greatly boosted the pools. I also notice regular carryovers to most overseas exotic bets but do not see these carryovers being added to any pools.

I may be missing something so would appreciate feedback from the racing operators regarding what is being done to carryovers.

This was a note to the Sporting Post Mailbag from a reader, which we duly passed on to Pumelela for comment.

Robert Garner responded, saying that these quartet carryovers were discontinued back in April as per q new  policy in which carryovers are accumulated in same bet-type stockpiles and deployed when of maximum benefit to all TAB customers – which simultaneously allows such carryovers to be fully marketed and communicated.

He drew our attention to the contents of a media release issued on 28 April an excerpt of which is quoted below.

TAB has enhanced its carryover policy for all bets in order to maximise the participation and enjoyment of its customers.

All horseracing carryovers will continue to be added to the same bet-type pool from which they originated as is the case currently.

But going forward all these carryovers will be accumulated into individual bet type stockpiles. These carryover monies will only be deployed around month-end, when customer participation is at a maximum and when the carryover amount is sufficient to ignite the interest of horseplayers.

The use of pseudonyms is permitted by posters to afford everybody the equal opportunity to inform or express ideas, on condition that the content of any post does not infringe upon any aspect, stated or implied, of the Sporting Post's advertised public comments policy.

It should be expressly noted that the views expressed by posters are not necessarily those of the Sporting Post.

10 comments on “Quartet Carryovers – What Happened To Them?

1. Philip Goldberg says:

This seems like a very hit and miss way of returning to the punter his own investment. What if he does not play the pick6, and only plays quartets.
    Interesting how quartet pools have grown of late.
    Whereas before, we battled to get R200000 into a midweek quartet, yesterday, we saw a number of pools exceeding R500000.
    This has been noticed for about a week now.
    I would like to hear the operators take on this one (no assumptions been made).

Thanks Philip
      You are not the first person to raise this question in recent days
      Will ask TAB for clarity

2. master says:

Hi Ed…..

Need some clarity on Carryovers…….

For example – If the P6 Pool reaches R 5 000 000.00, and say R 3 000 000.00 is won, so there is a carryover of R 2 000 000.00.

When is the R 2 000 000.00 added to the next P6, because remember this is the nett pool.
    Cos if its added to the start of the next P6 pool….. this was already taxed.

Hope I am making sense?????

Good question master

3. James Goodman says:

What a load of rubbish from P.
    Where are they getting the daily R25k to seed the new blitz bet?
    I would believe from the carryover pool.
    What happened to the Futsal and how was that funded???
    What happened to the time bomb, it was won but by who and if such a good idea why not be transparent?Would love to interview the winner on Winning Ways!

4. Richard Smit says:

That’s really a big load of bull. Definitely NOT for the punters benefit.

So’ I’m playing a quartet in Race 2 at this venue today, and any carry over goes to a race at the end of the month. Or, am I not understanding something here?

It should go to the very next race – that’s some of my money in there – and I want to play with it to-day!

So, I’ll not bet any more during the month – only the one or two days, at the end of the month.

Hope this does “wonders” for your Racing Turnover. I really can’t believe it!

“Igniting my interest”, you’ve got to be joking, more likely my anger and frustration!!

5. Rian says:

AGAIN, well said all, the powers that be are making a mockery of punters!!!!
    Please follow up James as nobody listens, I have been crying out for the carryovers to go on to the next race where ever that may be but again have no say
    Since R Garner been there its a joke SIC

6. Shanil says:

Very interesting question on double taxation on carryover pools.

7. Carry On Alice says:

Can Sportingpost please find out when the local Pick 3’s get carried over, to which meeting does the carry over pool go forward to. Also for the UK/Ireland Pick 3’s carry overs and other foreign tracks except USA and Canada, to which meeting does it get carried forward to. Normally it was the next day of the UK last meeting.

8. Lance says:

QUARTETS..I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the following.It pertains to roving bankers,if I play a quartet with three roving or floating bankers if you like with the field and two of my floating bankers dead-heat for fourth and my other banker runs in the first three it’s classified as a losing bet.My floating bankers finished in the first four irrespective of the fact they dead-heated for fourth,or am I incorrect in saying this.Admittedly it happens on rare occasions,however in my opinion my bet should be a winning one simply because my bet meets with the requirements to be a winning bet as opposed to a losing one.