The 2017 Listed Woolavington Stakes was Strathdon’s first stakes success.
The 2019 renewal on Saturday was his third.
With his last victory in December 2017, it has been a long time between drinks for the passionate Alec and the Honourable Gillian Foster – but he won so well, he could follow up soon.
It’s easy being wise post the event, but we trumped Strathdon as having already defied the law of Snaith averages – he has been fancied just once too often not to be able to bounce back.
And that is what he did in style to give Anton Marcus and Justin Snaith individual feature doubles on the day.
The 7-1 Strathdon was also the cherry on the top of a Sporting Post best-handicapped run that commenced in the fourth with Super Silvano 7-1, on to One World 11-10 and Casual Diamond 36-1. What price the all-on?
But back to the 2400m race, Marcus had Strathdon relaxed and settled off them after his 15 week break as Herodotus led Meliora and Dharma.
With Herodotus looking deceptively strong into the 300m, Strathdon was unwinding wide out and he finished with a flourish to hold the strong late run of Gimme One Night (9-1), on whom jockey Corne Orffer dropped his rein late.
The winning margin was 0,20 lengths and the official time 147,88 secs.
The Plattner Racing team is in fine form – they won the first two races on the card – and their pair of Kampala Campari and Silver De Lange completed the quartet.
The favourite Man About Town finished out of the money and just over 3 lengths off the winner.
Bred by Alec Foster, Strathdon is a son of champion sire Silvano (Lomitas) out of the one-time winner Wintersweet (Western Winter).He has won 7 races with 9 places from 26 starts for stakes of R875 700.
The Starter reported:
- a) CELESTIAL PRINCE was slow into stride.
- b) PACIFIC CHESTNUT jumped slow, losing 2 lengths.
The Stipes reported:
- a) Jockey M Byleveld was charged with a contravention of Rule 55.4 in that he failed to weigh out at the correct carded weight on the horse CELESTIAL PRINCE, or at the higher weight confirmed in his engagement with his trainer. Jockey Byleveld signed an admission of guilt and was given a warning. The stewards were advised and agreed to a change of rider at 07h45 on 09/11/2019.
- b) Jockey D de Melo was replaced on PACIFIC CHESTNUT by Jockey D Ashby as Jockey de Melo had been examined, upon arriving at the racecourse, by the course medical officer. He was found to have a slight chest infection and, in view of his medical history, he was advised not to waste and to keep himself well-hydrated.
- c) Jockey A Andrews, the rider of DHARMA, reported that he felt something amiss with this gelding. The veterinary surgeon was requested to examine.
- d) Jockey D Ashby, the rider of PACIFIC CHESTNUT, reported that this gelding made an abnormal respiratory noise in running. The veterinary surgeon was requested to examine.
- e) In view of the performance of BALLAD OF THE SEA (AUS), the veterinary surgeon was requested to examine.
- f) HERODOTUS (M Winnaar) pulled hard in the early stages and as a consequence raced to the front of the field.
- g) MAN ABOUT TOWN (A Domeyer), which was hanging out throughout, raced wide on the bend from the 700m and into the straight.
- h) Jockey C Orffer, the rider of GIMME ONE NIGHT, dropped his right side rein at the 300m mark which he regained shortly thereafter.
- i) KAMPALA CAMPARI (B Fayd’Herbe) was hanging out in the straight.
- j) STRATHDON, the winner, was selected for the taking of specimens for analysis. Trainer SJ Snaith was advised. (BM)
Rider / equipment changes:
- a) G Cheyne rode CELESTIAL PRINCE (carded +0.5kg). Jockey M Byleveld (carded +0.5kg) unable to make carded weight.
- b) D Ashby rode PACIFIC CHESTNUT.
The Veterinary Surgeon reported:
- a) HERODOTUS – poor recovery
- b) DHARMA – nothing obvious detected
- c) PACIFIC CHESTNUT – nothing obvious detected
- d) BALLAD OF THE SEA (AUS) – lame left hind