Home » Racing & Sport » Hawwaam’s Right Royal Prep!

Hawwaam’s Right Royal Prep!

De Kock professionalism keeps champ on track

Mike de Kock’s Australia—bound superstar Hawwaam is set to shorten dramatically in the betting for the L’Ormarins Queen’s Plate and the Sun Met  after a facile first victory in the Cape at Kenilworth on Saturday.

Defying an unwanted delay at the start and a less than ideal pace, the 4yo colt ridiculed the second run-after-a-rest bogey to win the R350 000 Gr2 Premier Trophy in style.

Anton Marcus points Hawwaam home as Bunker Hunt (Bernard Fayd’herbe) chases in vain (Pic – Chase Liebenberg)

While his SA career is far from over, with two Gr1 commitments in the next six weeks, it was mission accomplished for the victorious De Kock team after their original Cape programme had to be aborted thanks to an AHS outbreak and the Gauteng weather.

A lamb in the parade ring and going down to the start early, the Hawwaam dream looked to have possibilities of unravelling after the start was delayed for some time with Bunker Hunt having lengthy equipment adjustments.

Cool as a cucumber, on the surface anyway, Anton Marcus jumped off the champion and allowed the handler to ring him behind the gates as the Cape starting team crowded around Bunker Hunt.

Having his first run on a left-handed track and only his second after a five month break,  with a forgettable Vodacom Durban July bid sandwiched in between, Hawwaam (7-20) was always in touch with the top trio as Twist Of Fate led Tap O’Noth and Capoeira into the run for home.

At the 350m he ranged up and went on under a hands ride and drew clear to beat the late finishing Bunker Hunt (16-1) by 2,25 lengths in a time of 110,59 secs.

Twist Of Fate was 5 lengths off the winner in third, marginally ahead of the newly gelded Doublemint.

Ridgemont Highlands jockey Anton Marcus said he felt more relief than jubilation at the line.

“It’s comes with a bit of extra responsibility when you ride horses like this. I have so many people to thank. What a team effort. Malan du Toit, the starters, the stipes,” he added.

De Kock family celebration time (Pic – Chase Liebenberg)

Mathew de Kock looked after Hawwaam at Milnerton.

“Everybody has gone out of their way. One gets the feeling that Hawwaam has something of a following. We are very fortunate to be able to train horses like this. It’s now on to the Queen’s Plate,” he said.

A R1 million National Yearling Sale graduate, the half-brother to Sun Met winner Rainbow Bridge was bred by Mauritzfontein & Wilgerbosdrift, and is a son of multiple champion Silvano (Lomitas) out of the seven-time winning SA Broodmare Of The Year, Halfway To Heaven (Jet Master).

Hawwaam has won 8 of his 9 starts with 1 place for stakes of R5 922 275.

Excerpt from Stipes report:

1. a) BUNKER HUNT was stubborn loading, bridle came loose and had to be refitted, causing a delay.
  2. a) In view of the report from the starter regarding BUNKER HUNT (B Fayd’Herbe), this gelding’s starting stall certificate has been withdrawn and he is suspended in terms of Rule 61.6.10 and until such time as he proves to be tractable with a companion. Suspension dates: 22/12/2019 to 28/12//2019 inclusive). BUNKER HUNT may not be presented for re-passing during this period.
  3. b) Jockey B Fayd’Herbe (BUNKER HUNT) appeared before the Board and was reminded that the Stewards expect him to make every effort to parade his mounts in front of the stand in future.

_________

Gr2 Premier Trophy (SAf-Gr2)

Kenilworth, South Africa, December 21, R350k, 1800m, turf, good, 1.50.59

1 – HAWWAAM (SAF), 60.0, b c 4, Silvano (GER) – Halfway To Heaven (SAF) by Jet Master (SAF). Owner Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid al Maktoum; Breeder Wilgerbosdrift & Mauritzfontein; trainer MF de Kock; jockey A Marcus
2 – Bunker Hunt (SAF), 58.0, b g 4, Dynasty (SAF) – Secret Obsession (SAF) by Captain Al (SAF)
3 – Twist Of Fate (SAF), 59.0, b c 4, Master Of My Fate (SAF) – Crescent Lily (SAF) by Counter Action (SAF)
Margins: 2.25, 2.75, 0.30

35 comments on “Hawwaam’s Right Royal Prep!

1. DEAN DEMONT says:

There were a few brain surgeons that said this horse hasn’t beaten much, and was wondering what all the hype and fuss was about.. please, I ask all those to take up another profession like knitting or crochet, because they ain’t have a clue about racing…Well done team De Kock, bring the best the Cape has to offer, he will chew them up and spit them out…

2. Nico says:

I have to ask.. The lady handing out trophies, she kissed the trainers but not the grooms, Hoekom?? 😂

3. Ralph Fell. says:

Well spotted eagle-eyed Nico. She probably thought it would be risque and reinforces a stereotype of note.

4. George Ellis says:

Nico I said the same yesterday why only kiss the Ivory and not the Ebony

5. Art says:

Hawaam certainly lived up to his reputation.I was really wanting to see this horse win and win well.The debacle at the start with bunker hunt looked as though we might have a repeat of the Durban July scratching of Hawaam but he was calm and cool and once Anton let him go it was race over.Great to see a horse of this calibre .Its going to be great following this horse in the future.

6. Lagen says:

Can Frankie Zackey please come to the stage..

7. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…MR Editor what’s going ? Have the Cape Kids gone into hibernation ? 🤣🤣🤣Boy’s it’s time to face reality,,Hawwaam is simply they best…

Maybe they are waiting for a race review, Frankie 🙂

8. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Shot Lagen…I’m a bit like Hawwaam I’m chill mode Zone,,only refresh the updates now…my appearance on stage will be at the Met…MDK how’s the Mood ? Did Hawwaam have his wholegrain wheat biscuits this morning ?

9. Donald says:

What ! Stipes warn B. Fayd – Herbe to ” parade in front of the stands in future ” !

Those stipes must come to K.Z.N. , they would have to employ a full time member handing out spot fines to the riders at the start as they leave the parade ring and head straight to the gates especially at Greyville on the poly from 1400 meters upwards ?

10. Pops says:

George Ellis, Nico and Ralph Fell there is a simple reason why the Lady only kissed the trainers and did not kiss the Grooms.She knew the NHA Rules.
    Rule–1.1.51 PERSON – an individual who is subject to and/or bound by the CONSTITUTION and/or RULES
    The Grooms do not pay fees and are not subject to and/or bound by the CONSTITUTION and/or RULES
    Therefore they are not a PERSON.Simple.

11. Michael Jacobs says:

May i give my opinion on Hawwaam. I watched the race and was not overly impressed by the run. I still believe this horse must prove himself on the big stage. The race was run in the same time as the fillies’ equivalent. The second horse Bunker Hunt certainly is no superstar, so the run was a workman like effort, but i wont go overboard. I’ll reserve judgement until the Queen’s Plate. A victory in that race will stamp his authority and stardom.

This horse tends to dissapoint on the big occasion, so we’ll see in 3 weeks time.

12. Rian says:

Hey Frankie, enjoy it while you can, our scuds are in waiting and ready to fire…causing Hawaam to head for the Bunkers
    like I said if he couldn’t win that race then I don’t know…
    Our big guns will give him a bloody nose in the Met, you worried a bit about his hanging out and also rate Bunker in with a chance if Chris can work him out
    Can’t wait for QP

13. DEAN DEMONT says:

Michael Jacob’s,and Rian, I know its the festive season, but please ease off the cheap whiskey, its warped your ability to think straight. The horse has now won 8 from 9,and when he did get beat into 2nd, he came from stone last and had to switch around runners that were falling back onto him. Also he gave Twist Of Fate a galloping lesson in the Daily News, and in turn Twist Of Fate ran 2.5 lengths off Do It Again in the July.. Saturdays run was just a pipe opener as he wasn’t tuned to peak.. and still beat Twist Of Fate, by 5 lengths this time.. Perhaps you guys are still waiting for General Franco to make an appearance. Lol…… anyway have a great Christmas..Oh,and dont be shy to take the double Hawwaam in the Queens plate onto Hawaam in the Met..

14. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…MJ i’ll then suggest to you to change your opinion very soon…what more would one wanna see from Hawwaam before one can realize that he is world class material ? it’s very difficult to even compare apples with apples on SP,, I genuinely believe that 80% of the panel haven’t a clue about racing I’m dead serious the crap one must read is ludicrous…anyway never forget that old saying slowly slowly catch the monkey MJ…Rian as for you my dear friend let me rather break the news to you now I’ll personally give up racing for 1 month if Vardy runs in the 1st 3 in the Met,, I’ll go one better for you I’ll give up racing for 2 months if Vardy comes within 2 lenghts to Do it Again in the Met and to cream it I’ll stop racing for 6 months if Hawwaam does not win the Met…WTF is it with this panel,,instead of looking for stupid and childish points,,get the money you guy’s are not going to get his opertunity again where one can just put the cash and collect…Why was Horse Chestnut loved by so many racegoers and outsiders ? it gave the poor man a chance that couldn’t afford to gamble the chance now to put this hard earned salary on Horse Chestnut knowing it’s a matter of how far he would win by,, so yes Horse Chestnut certainly bettered thousands of people’s life’s while he was around…Hawwaam fits into that exact same category just put cash and collect..unfortunately the anti Hawwaam guys are to doff to see that…

15. Nico says:

Rian you need to get your head checked up.

First run at Kenilworth, a supposed prep run, i’m sure he wasn’t even fully wound up and he won without tasting the whip if i saw correctly, how many horses can win a group 2 with that much ease?

Wait until he blows away his rivals in the Queens plate and Met, full bore, he will smash the daylights outta them.

Regarding Bunker hunts run, as inconsistent as his trainer, send him to a top trainer and he would have been a better horse. Watch him finish tailed off his next start. A trainer with so many horses he probably doesn’t even know his plans for them until someone tells him or just chuck a handfull where we can

16. I believe Hawwaam was about 50 60 % for this race, I rate him 138 since the SA Classic I believe he should go to Royal ascot and take on ocean Crystal 129 World rating I think Hawwaam is a 132 world rating Best Horse currently on earth on Turf. going back in the Pedigree hes well entitled to this and I believe he is a freak can win at any distance, Ive seen Horses like this before and they are Unbeatable conditioned at 100%, Ive said it for a year in my column http://www.frguk.com/s-a-daily-tips/

17. Lagen says:

Rian, Michael. Haters will always be haters. But when Hawwaam cruises in in the QP and the Met, maybe then you will become a fan. Not impressed, comical. Traveled , missed proper work with the rains Jhb had, and he played with a decent CT field. MDK will probably say that wasn’t even pacework, it was like a Sunday afternoon stroll.

18. Rian says:

Haters not a nice word Lagen, could never hate a Horse but back to Hawaam before I sign off for Christmas like our UK friends who give racing a break few days before Christmas
    I said he would win the Premiers , but why aren’t you all having a full go on the Met, price is 1.25
    Maybe you waiting for a better price???
    Have a great Christmas break Frankie and all SP posters,

To you too, Rian , thanks

19. Cameron James says:

Frankie Zackey come in over……., I certainly agree that horse racing needs a superstar like Hawaam. You are correct to say he’s a superstar but to compare him to Horse Chestnut at this stage is at the very least premature. Well on the eye hes been super impressive to date, but in all honesty hes beaten very little of note.

In the open grade 1 race he won, he beat horses like Cascapedia, Divine Odyssey, Legal Eagle, Dark Moon Rising, Unagi and ZILZAAL.

Apart from Legal Eagle (albeit a younger version) the rest are what i consider to be at best Group 2 material. And thats being kind. Hawwam actually received 2.5kg from them as well.

Can any of the field he beat actually win a group 1 outside of Johannesburg? I think not.

Until he beats the Cape superstars like Do It Again and Rainbow Bridge, ill have to reserve superstar status till then. I actually think Mr DeKock has erred in not entering Soqrat for the Queens Plate, he could actually be a better horse over the mile than Hawwam.

I think Rainbow Bridge will go very close in the Queens Plate, he moved up menacingly in the Green Point but tired late. Come the Met, Do It Again will win easily!!!, hes matured now and the miles patently too short for him now and then onto a 3rd July. Twice Overs Progeny get bettet with age and longer trips. He won those mile grade ones racing very fresh and on purt talent alone. Reversal of fortunes from last year? RB the Qp and DIA the Met.

I still would love to see a true run race and see how good Hawwam really is, if hes the superstar he seems to be then ill be overjoyed as horse racing really needs one in SA.

Frankie, you think youll be able to ride Hawwam to victory in the Met?, lol. Seasons greetings to you all.

Nah, No haters, friendly (provincial) banter…… I think / hope

Us Natalians are still hoping to win a few Maiden plates in CT 😂

I got so excited, even banked a Ntl horse CT, midweek in last leg,,, and lost, but so did many others

21. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Dean this is where I differ from the rest believing that Hawwaam’s record in my books it’s a perfect 9 from 9,,All being equal it should be a perfect 11 but it’s unfortunate what happened in the Derby and the July so yes that could be debatable on this panel🤣🤣🤣anway on record it shows 8 from 9 correct ???? now can any brain dead explain to me how did Hawwaam get beat in the Guineas to this very day it still haunts me how National Park turned around 10 lenghts on Hawwaam same course same distance…straight from Hawwaam’s (maiden) win MDK runs him in the Dingaans whipping National Park by 7,40 lenghts,,but in Guineas National Park beats Hawwaam by 2,7 lenghts that’s a (10)TEN lenght turn around…After the un saddling MDK walks out the ring and i join him for a minute or 2,, for MDK to be speechless you can just imagine how disappointed and upset MDK was..the 1st words that came out his mounth,,Frankie can you believe it…the man was (fuming) to this day I’ve never witness Mike being so mad…Do I sentence the person to life whoever is responsible for that mess up Lol 🤣🤣🤣….Now come the Classic🤣🤣🤣apologies to the panel I can’t stop laughing anyway Hawwaam slams National Park this time by 7,25 lenghts,,in all fairness Hawwaam could have won by double digits AM eased up on the Gas and eased down into 3rd gear 100m out..Apparently Richard Fourie said to a mate after the race it sounded like a boeing 747 passing me at 300m🤣🤣🤣…Lets hope the anti Hawwaams now register that Hawwaam is a Super Star…I would have thought after his unbelievable win over the 6 furlong they’ll now finally wake up start realising that we South Africans finally have a Super Star again…Horse Chestnut gave South African racing fans so much joy it was such a unbelievable experience to witness and now to witness this all over again for me has just been a unbelievable feeling and hope it continues until team MDK decides to retire the Champ…My dream ending for Hawwaam would be for the Champ to win the 2021 Dubai World Cup 🏆

22. Donald says:

Something tells me our good friend Frankie is a Haawaam supporter !

Frankie , we will be watching your predictions carefully over the next few weeks and hope you are not called out to suspend yourself from racing as I believe Vardy is the most improved of the top 5 horses in S.A. and has quite a bit to come ?

CJ, I like your post, makes sense. I note an improved run from Eden Roc over the w/e

Interesting,, Eyes wide Open 10/1 with HWB for place in Met…

Frankie you’re the man, and Hawwaam is the Horse (for now 😎)… But easy on National Park, one of my fav horses….
    Maybe he’ll go down in history as only horse to beat Hawwaam.

I am genuinely happy Hawwaam is over his issues, no doubt that Horse Whisperer told him, his nuts is on the line…

Most S.Africans will agree with (share) your Dubai Wish 👍

24. Cameron James says:

Hi Cecil, Eden Roc clearly hasnt trained on or he maybe a sprinter? I noticed that he didnt stay on Gold Cup day, so i stayed far away from him.

This current crop of 3 year olds seem average, well of what weve seen to date. Different results in almost every graded race run to date.

Right now at WFA, theres likes 5 really top top horses, Hawwam included! But no 3 year old.
    What makes it easier is that we know the top horses can carry weight and still win. Makes life a bit easier in the Group1 handicaps.

Once Hawwam and i beleive Soqrat are destined for Australia, the Durban season is going to be heaven for horses like DIA, RB and Vardy (his win was super impressive the other day).

25. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…CJ maybe you should read over my message again what I did say was that he fits into the same category as Horse Chestnut where one can just lump on and collect,,exactly what happened when Horse Chestnut ran one could just lump on and collect…CJ and as Hawwaam beating nothing to date,,did Do it Again and Rainbow Bridge not run to Legal Eagle and Twist of Fate Mr Clever…the only bit of sense you did make was about Soqrat,,i’ll like to think over a mile he’s about the only horse in the country that could give Hawwaam some cheek…Later Guy’s off to get a few bottles of J/blacks

26. Pops says:

Frankie,you letting the Hawwaam side down.One would think a person who just lumped on and collected would have JW Blue on the top of the list.You can’t go lower than that.Spoil yourself.There is more where that came from,QP, Met,July and if push comes to shove a couple of Pinnacle Stakes.

27. Michael Jacobs says:

I am not a hater. I love a superstar racehorse, that is what i live for. I have seen Horse Chestnut, Wolf Power, Foveros, Ecurie and Pocket Power in the flesh. Hawwaam is not yet in that class. Just because Frankie Zackey says so, doesnt make it so. If he wins the Queens Plate i will reserve judgement, and if he wins the Met i will retract, apologise and acknowledge his stardom. For tue next 2 races i will certainly not banker him as i did on Saturday.

28. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Pops it’s matter of choice buddy believe it or not I don’t enjoy J blue… why not come around to a Saturday meeting out at Turffontein,,adding a extra 4 or 5k to the bill will not make a diff there’ll definitely be J Blue on the table pls come I’m inviting you you’ll really have a fantastic time…it’s a bit nerve wrecking at 1st for new comers but after about the 3rd race they normally start settling down,,at least you’ll get the opportunity to see how it should be done on a raceday…Go Big or Go Home…oh yes try get that guy William to come as well

29. Cameron James says:

You missing my point Frankie….. Im not talking from the pocket, im talking about pure athletic ability of these thoroughbreds. Horse Chestnut was a freak winning races by ten lengths against horses who WOULD GO ON TO WIN numerous group 1 races thereafter. The Met field he destroyed was laden with class. And onto America, he proved he was all that!!!!

Hawwam beat Legal Eagle but can you truly say Legal Eagle is the same horse from a few years ago?

Also Twist of Fate received 7kg in the July and a beating over 2200m in the July. Now on a previous article in the Sporting Post, 7kg is equivalent to 14 lengths over this distance, not even taking into account the widening margin of victory. So yes i agree on the evidence at hand we could have a potential superatar in the making but he has to prove it 1st. When he got beat in the Gauteng Guineas the pace was decent and he couldnt quicken fast enough to get to National Park. I pray they go a good clip in the QP and Met as then we would get to see how good Hawwam really is? I still believe they faster they go will play into the hands of horses like DIA and RB.

One more thing to consider, in those triple crown races Hawwam ran in, the runners up were Barahin, National Park and Zilzaal, now, what have they achieved outside Gauteng?

Mr De Kock also thought highly of a horse called Kildonan, he as well never went on….. Im not knocking him down, i think the mans a genius but Hawaam has to beat something of note to claim superstar status. Mike even thought Buffalo Bill Cody was slightly ahead of Hawaam prior to the running of the July this year. Guess the only way we will find out is when they actually run against each other in the QP and Met. Cant wait……..

Good night and A merry Xmas.

30. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey… CJ I guess time will tell for the non believers at this stage… I love spotting Champions early and then go on to prove me right nothing gives me better satisfaction…BTW I was part of the lead in in the Met when Horse Chestnut murdered them…been Weichong Marwing agent for a good couple of years and shared a apartment together with him I knew 1st hand how special Horse Chestnut was to Weichong he’s was the best by a distance he had sat on…I think I made history as a non owner not only to lead in Horse Chestnut in the Met but also to lead in Dynasty when winning the July… So when talking about Super Stars I’ll like to I’m on the right page we’re all intiled to give our opinions that’s what makes racing so exciting… Cheers to you and merry Christmas…i’ll also like with wish the whole South African Racing industry a blessed Merry Christmas and lovely New Year and may 2020 be your year…Pls don’t drink drive God Bless

31. Cameron James says:

Appreciated Frankie, im not in the circles you roll in…. Lol. Im just a fan of these equine champions. However i must suggest Phumelela should employ someone like you. Passion for the sport oozes out of your comments. Refreshing.

Horseracing needs more fans like you for it to regenerate interest buts it hard to see that happening, market share has been significantly reduced due to sports betting.

Frankie if any 1 can bring fans to the tracks ill put my hat in your corner…..

Take care and be safe.

32. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…CJ appreciate the kind words… i’m sure there’s many out there who would only want nothing but the best for racing…Cheers Buddy

33. Tiki Tanga says:

Frankie you still stand by your Vardy comment?

P.S. how does humble pie taste?