Home » Breeding » Woodruff Buys Top Lot

Woodruff Buys Top Lot

'A great experience' - Gabby Soma

With his maiden sale under the belt, an exhausted but thrilled Gabby Soma declared the first MGAS Bloodstock Sale at Turffontein on Wednesday a success and great experience and said he was looking forward to the next edition.

Geoff Woodruff – bought a lovely filly

Alistair Cohen and Clyde Basel did the gavel honours at the inaugural and innovative sale that enjoyed a good turnout in weather that played ball.

While no statistical analysis is yet available, the top price was the R280 000 paid by Geoff Woodruff for the unraced Visionaire filly, Vision On Ice (#66), consigned by Roy Magner.

She is out of the Jallad multiple Oaks winner and Equus Champion, Icy Air.

See the prices here

10 comments on “Woodruff Buys Top Lot

1. Don Mahen says:

I enjoy reading all the comments. Thank you to Sporting Post. This is my first comment. I write it because I am angry.

I am not deaf and I am not blind. I believe that anyone who was at the sale today or watched it on Tellytrack streaming would have heard from the mouth of Clyde Basel that Frankie Zackey…. yes our famous Frankie Zackey ….purchased Corrido for R10,000.

The records of MGAS reflect otherwise.

I do not care how many people say it was a great sale or how good Gaby Soma is, when I see this type of thing, I lose all confidence in the process.

Well done to Frankie Zackey for showing me the light. I wonder how many other irregularities were present.

2. Michael Jacobs says:

What is your comment all about? I didn’t watch the sale, but so what if someone bought a horse for R10000. Good luck to him, did it go through the ring?

3. Don Mahen says:

Mr Jacobs,

I thought what I wrote was crystal clear.

An auction has rules. The only people that can bid at an auction are registered bidders. The auctioneer can only take bids from registered bidders. The person who bids for the horse has a buyers card. The person who has the buyers card is the person who buys the horse.

Frankie Zackey…. bought the horse at the sale. This was made clear by the auctioneer.

When I looked at the results I saw the name C. Habib as the buyer.

I really do not care about the amount for which the horse was sold. I care about the fact that a bid was taken from Frankie Zackey who I suspect did not have a buyers card and the sales company recorded the buyer as someone other than Frankie Zackey.

Just like there cannot be under the lap ownership in horse racing, when it comes to an auction everything has to be above board. This sale was not.

We need rules and the law to be followed. Horse racing has become a joke when it comes to rules.

After making my comments about the Corrido sale, I did some checking. Lot 70 was knocked down to Klawervlei Stud
    This was a buy back but the records of MGAS show the seller as someone else.

The auctioneers, breeders and the NHRA think the racing public does not see what is going on. The days of Markus Jooste tactics and way of business should have ended.

I am not like you Mr Jacobs, I am in the minority. I only say good luck to a buyer when things are done properly and above board.

If you do not understand me after this comment, I am sorry as I cannot make myself clearer.

I see Frankie Zackey has not commented. He told us that he is a friend of Mr Soma. I would truly like to know if my eyesight and hearing is as good as I say it is. He can tell us what happened. I hope he does as he can only sink the integrity of the sale and give me satisfaction that I am right. Better yet, MGAS can tell us.

I am signing off because I have been told that I should be careful who I cross paths with in horseracing. Nothing more will be said by me on this subject. I am just saying..

4. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Don Mahen pull yourself towards yourself and get your act together…That’s a big word you used at the end of your 1st post…irregularities…Mr John Habib filled in all the necessary paper work with MGAS Bloodstock and was then issued a buyer’s card after doing the credit check on the Gentleman,,John then instructed MGAS Bloodstock that I would be buying on his behalf and if they could issue his buyer’s card to Frankie Zackey as he could not attend the Auction…do I need to give you his reasoning for not attending Don Mahen ?…I’m assuming that you haven’t been to a auction unles you haven’t been in years I suggest you attend one and find out a bit more before posting and making a clown out of yourself again..Clyde Basel had no idea of what transpired between MGAS Bloodstock Mr Habib and myself as it’s not his business and yes you are correct I did not have a buyer’s card as it was not my intentionsto buy a horse,,we leave the buying to Jonathan Nassif Lot 9 Palace Green was knocked down to JN,,Pls don’t be surprised when you see it running on Saturday in 4 different owner’s name’s when you see the changes for Saturday’s meeting… it’s people like yourself that make this game so horrible..not everyone is bad in the game there are damm good people still around at Phumelela and the RA…and just to add while I’m at it Mr John Habib is kindly giving little Keanu Basel a share as he was so heart broken to see Corridor leave the Peter yard…well done John you made little Keanu’s year never mind day he had a smile from ear to ear …MGAS Bloodstock just a very well done to you and your team it was really a lovely auction,,who says that one can’t buy a racehorse,, there’s a great example Corridor bought for 10k…there is no dought that he’ll pay his way..
    Hawwaam we coming for you 🤣🤣🤣

5. Don Mahen says:

Frankie…..Frankie Zackey….I need to say thank you.

You have single handedly shown the world that there is so much wrong in South African racing and its auction sales sector.

There is a complete disregard for the rules and laws of our land by seller, buyer and auctioneering co.

Hopefully the NHRA will read your comment and take appropriate action.

So again…..thank you…. Frankie…. Frankie Zackey. Your brutal honesty and cluelessness is a breath of fresh air…. just saying.

1. karel says:

Don,
      Summarise again which rules exactly were broken?
      This issue is a bit confusing for me now.

6. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Don Mahen why not take this matter a step further with the NHRA…it’s clear that you not happy about the outcome…far as I’m concerned your cluelessness is not worth commenting on any further..

7. Chris says:

Hey Don.Your second last post said it was your last word on the matter.Why bother to keep it going.Thanks Frankie and good luck to Corrido.

8. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Thank you Chris..I’m hoping it does okay a win would be nice just for Little Keanu Basel otherwise places will do…I’m sure the new owers just wanna have a bit of fun with it

9. Rajen Govender says:

Maybe u should give a share to Don Maher as well…just saying.