Home » Breeding » Festive Sale At Turffontein

Festive Sale At Turffontein

Wednesday 11 December at 12h00

The inaugural MGAS Bloodstock Horse-In-Training Sale will be held on Wednesday 11 December at 12h00 in the back parade ring at Turffontein.

Gabby Soma – focussed on delivery (Pic – JC Photos)

With over 90 horses catalogued, Gabby Soma is elated and describes it as ‘an incredible turnout’ for their first sale, which is proving popular with some smart innovations.

“We have reduced the owner’s and trainer’s expenses by not charging an entry fee as well as providing transport for local horses. We are also selling horses in absentia. I believe that this is one of the first times this has been done. For these horses a video as well as a veterinary certificate will be available on the day,” he confirms.

See the catalogue here

Horses will be at the sale by 09h00 for viewing.

As with any horses-in-training sale, payment is due on fall of the hammer. A card machine will be available as well as options for eft / cash payment – that is unless credit has been granted.

Gr2 winner Purple Diamond (red cap) is on the sale (Pic – Gold Circle)

Supplementary entries will be accepted up until 12h00 on Monday 9 December. All inquiries to [email protected] or on mobile 076 724 0585.

Some of the standouts:

1)Accomplished – 2yo (c) – one run to date and  finished a cracking second

2)Sultans Daughter- 2 yo (f) – one run to date , also finished second and carded to run on 5 Dec.

3)Captain Hindsight –3yo (c) finished a great second to Battleoftrafalgar in the Monaco million maiden

4)Margot Magic -3 yo (f), very good form including a good second in Graduation latest start

5)Clouded Hill- absentia –solid form including 3rd to Met hopeful Belgarion

6)Stream Ahead – absentia – won recently- solid form

7)Roll Of Drums – good quality form against some of the best around, recent runs encouraging

8)Indy Ice – Nice staying type who looks to be maturing, good recent form including beating quality stayer Dromedaris

9)Palace Green – very expensive yearling – looks to be strengthening up – ran on strongly in his latest run over 2000m and could be a lovely stayer in the future.

10)Purple Diamond – Gr2 winner – very consistent  and has very good form

11)Baron Rodney – consistent type with some decent form – could be a nice buy for Mauritius

12)Anuchka’s Wings – good form & looks very progressive – at 4 could earn blacktype and be a nice buy for breeders

13)Two Of Us- finished second recently and looks like a winning run is right around the corner

14)Casual Wear – ran 3rd recently – was very unlucky -has won 4 and has a couple more in the tank , possible attraction for breeders

15) Heart Of A legend- solid form and has won 4 = again blacktype is possible and another attraction for breeders

16)Sullenberger- 3yo – very good form – outstanding run on 28/11 when short head second achieving a much higher rating than he has, could be very decent.

17)African Adventure – massive horse who has taken time to mature – 3 lovely runs and a horse that will be seen at his best when he runs over 2000m- could be anything

18)Vision On Ice – Unraced 2yo f by Visionaire out of Icy Air – outstanding pedigree and was bought off 2019 Nationals

19)Mezuzha – Unraced 2yo c by What  A Winter out of Seat Of Power – purchased for R225 000 at 2019 Nationals

20)Unnamed 2yo c by Dynasty out of blacktype performer Nova Zembla – outstanding pedigree

10 comments on “Festive Sale At Turffontein

1. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Brilliant article!!! your Dad and Grandad would be so proud of you..1st time out the box your catalogue is impressive well done Gabby…i can only wish you everything of the best,, your love your passion your honesty and knowledge for the game is priceless…always looking for ideas to improve the game…Guy’s like yourself can only improve the game 10 fold,,you always quick to underline the wrongs in racing and thinking on how to better the game for the owner and punter…your crazy attitude and addiction for the racing game will win you Awards

2. Beach Boy says:

Is captain hindsight on the sale? Doesn’t appear on the catalogue, it seems?

Lot 52

3. Interested says:

I thought that it was against our laws to sell any goods at an auction without the goods being at the auction and every bidder being able to inspect the goods before the auction. I do not care about a vet certificate. I do not care about another persons view about a horse. I want to inspect the horse myself. Please will the sporting post confirm that this new innovation of selling in the absence is okay. I am sorry if this is a dud question. I just need assurances.

Interested, online auctions have become popular – what’s the difference there?

We will ask Mr Soma to clarify this aspect.

4. Cliff says:

Wish you all the best in this new venture my boy

5. Gordy says:

Hi Ed, Interested has tweaked my interest.

I am interested in one of the horses being sold in absentia.

After reading his or her question, I looked at the Consumer Protection Act on the internet and some of the comments made on it.

It seems that there is a difference between an online auction and a live stock auction. Interested could have a point.

This could be a storm in a tea cup. As something new, I suspect that MGAS would have gotten legal opinion on this before advertising the sale.

Do I or do I not book my flights, accommodation and car. That is the question.

6. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Gordy i’m a bit baffled about your question..why would one go through all that expense if the horse you keen on will be checked by a Vet with a full report surely that should seal the deal for you…I believe that Mr Soma will have a full vet’s report for all the absentia horses available on the day of Sale if I’m not mistaken at his own cost…

7. Gordy says:

Hi Franckie, I believe your question is for Interested.

For my part, the reason I want to know about the horses being sold without being at the sale is because I do not want to go to an auction and buy a horse and afterwards I am told that the sale is invalid and then have problems with ownership or getting back the purchase price etc etc.

One thing I can say is that I believe that by having a sale in the absence of the horse, there will be less prospective bidders and the prices will be reasonable for buyers because of the risks involved in not having seen the horse in the flesh.

I am getting anxious because Gabriel Soma has not responded. It will not take him more than 10 minutes to send an email to clarify the position. You seem to know him personally. Maybe he does not know about all of this. Please speak to him and report to us. Thanks chum. I will also send him an email.

8. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Gordy i’ll most certainly pass on the message…Problem with getting the horses up from the Cape and KZN are the travelling expenses it really a huge expense…I can honestly say that we have purchased many horses over the years just on form alone never once did we ask for a Vet report now that Gabby is providing a Vet report surely that’s more than sufficient..I honestly believe that all is above board…buyers must keep onething in mind that it’s MGAS Bloodstock’s 1st auction and it would be a no brainer to make sure that everything is squeaky clean I shouldn’t even be mentioning this Knowing Gabby he would only wanna adchieve fantastic results for all concerned form this Auction and more importantly for the company going forward