Official invitations have been made for the fourth running of the $3 million Gr1 Pegasus World Cup on January 25.
The 17-strong list, which includes 5 ’emergencies,’ is led by multiple Gr1 winner Maximum Security (New Year’s Day-Lil Indy, by Anasheeed), but it is likely that, due to the notable reduction in prizemoney, he will bypass the Pegasus for a tilt at the inaugural running of the $20 million Saudi Cup in February.
In this case, Fox Hill Farm’s thrice Gr1 winning stallion and future Spendthrift stallion Omaha Beach (War Front-Charming, by Seeking The Gold) will assume favouritism, following his disappointing scratching from the Gr1 Kentucky Derby last year.
As reported by horseracingnation.com, The Stronach Group announced that both factions of The Pegasus World Cup Championship Invitational Series will be run free of any medication on race day (a policy consistent with the International Federation of Horse Racing Authorities), marking a new era in American thoroughbred racing.
The invited horses (reserved designated R in order of preference) are:
- Gift Box, John Sadler
- Higher Power, John Sadler
- Magic Wand, Aidan O’Brien
- Math Wizard, Saffie Joseph
- Maximum Security, Jason Servis
- McKinzie, Bob Baffert
- Mr Freeze, Dale Romans
- Omaha Beach, Richard Mandella
- Roadster, Bob Baffert
- Seeking the Soul, Dallas Stewart
- Spun to Run, Juan Carlos Guerrero
- Tax, Danny Gargan
- (R) Mucho Gusto, Bob Baffert
- (R) War Story, Elizabeth Dobles
- (R) Bravazo, D. Wayne Lukas
- (R) Diamond Oops, Patrick Biancone
- (R) True Timber, Kiaran McLaughlin