Home » Racing & Sport » Eight Great Finishes

Eight Great Finishes

Mine That Bird - and some other crackers!

While we have enjoyed some outstandingly judged end-to-end exhibitions of race riding over the years, it’s still the horse that turns on a scintillating burst of speed from last-to-first in a matter of seconds that tends to grab the glamour.

Here are some cracking finishes – eight of them – courtesy of World Horse Racing.

Enjoy!

32 comments on “Eight Great Finishes

1. B D steele says:

The yanks must have the worlds worst race callers,next to them Dumpy sounds like Peter Bromley

2. Cj Aucamp says:

Thanks Sportingpost BUT WHAT ABOUT sendig us the same with local horses….8 best races of the season.

3. Kay says:

So once again not a single race from SA even Saudi has a race included. Politician’s win in the ’79 Met could have been considered? Maybe Andrew Bon can compile a top 10 list of great finishes on SA race tracks over the years.

You remember the Peter Bromley Grand National commentaries Mr. Steele ! 😁😁

Corbiere, Grittar and the trier Zongalero

“And we cross back to Peter Bromley as they all cross the Melling Road…”

5. Rian says:

Sorry Mr Steele, which one , hope you didn’t mean all ??

Politician finish – definitely in the top 10, Kay.

I’ll try and contribute and pool it together with all the all Sporting Post Bloggers

Thanks William

Pls include one off Wolf Power.

Kay & Mr. Ed,

I have 10, I’ll send it through at 8’ish. I need to do more digging…thankfully, no graves though.

Thanks William

9. Clinton says:

Recently at Cheltenham, I witnessed something and even tore my ticket, horse name Champ was 15 lengths behind at the last fence ,came to beat the 2 horses in front,I almost had an heat attack!

10. Mac Naidoo says:

What about the Malster by Lester Piggott in Scottsville in one of the greatest finishes and there was Herman browns Gatecrasher

11. Donald says:

This one you will not find on camera , more the pity , but I can relate the finish which you had to witness to believe !

Scottsville in the early 1970,s over 6 furlongs :

Johnny McCreedy on Flower King for Cyril Hurvitz / Fred Rickaby – the favourite
    Brian Passmore on Happy Evening for Geoff Oldfield / I think the trainer was Les Hammond about 8/1.

Happy Evening is travelling in front and with about 300 meters to go is joined and then passed by Flower King on the inside. With 200 meters to go Flower King goes a neck clear and with Johnny McCreedy up race over but Brian Passmore in which I can only describe as ” bounces ” Happy Evening to ” come again ” and collar Flower King in a photo finish that took quite a while to declare the winner. That was the best ride in a finish I have ever witnessed !

I think Geoff Oldfield is still active as I saw he had a horse in training recently. It would be very interesting to know if he remembers that day ?

Excellent commentary Donald and thanks for sharing

13. Donald says:

Hi William , those were the days when the stipes were in control of horse racing and you can be sure that Johnny McCreedy would have had to answer a few questions from Jack Sproul , the chief stipe for many years in what was then known as Natal , but Jack knew a brilliant ride when he saw one !

14. Kay says:

In the meantime, here’s a bit of chicken soup for the racegoers souls…

Agapanto (Arg)
    Topasannah (Ire)
    Tostada (Arg)
    Up the Creek
    Violero (Arg)
    Voodoo Charm
    Waitara

Lovely menu, wouldn’t you say ?

Bold Speed – now also a maiden filly racing in KZN

16. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…who remembers the late Craig Anthony winning on Welcome Guess in the Computaform sprint for his late Dad Lawrence Trainer Robbie Sage.. Germiston 1000m he could not possibly win at the 400m a turn of foot 2nd to non that was just Welcome Guess style of running coming from hopeless positions…Another cracking win was Tudor Ruler for Mrs Hemming over the same C/D with Striker up,,Mr Ed any chance of downloading the 2 horses wins for the SP viewers to watch along with my all time favourite maiden win of Tracey Elements win if possible…Cecil bet you didn’t know that my all time favourite was Wolf Power,,I hope I’ve put smile on your face 😂 God Bless

Frank, those race movies are buried deeper than the Terrence Stamp and Bud Spencer spaghetti westerns in the archives somewhere
      Will try our best

17. Dave other says:

Sorry to be pedantic Mr Ed – Terrence Hill ?

Not pedantic – rather you are hundred percent correct, Dave!
      Other classic movie buffs may have missed that 🙂

Frank, I have that finish listed as one that the Editor will post later when is done with my full list

It was Welcome Guest beating The Barbican in the Computaform Sprint

Blast from the past, Terence Hill / Bud Spencer in Odds and Evens. Good old days, rental projectors, VHS tapes, and Drive – Ins. LoL if my sons read this – what’s that

There is just somethiny about greys – Wolf Power and Ilha Da Vitoria

Hello Frankie 🤟

Well found Cecil – just googled it – the whole movie available on youtube – Odds and Evens – Bud Spencer & Terence Hill
      Must have won a few Oscars

They Call Me Trinity

And the sequels!

21. Rod Mattheyse says:

William what about Rolands Song

My best memory of Olympic Duel – was when She found Out of Africa too strong in the maidens at Greyville. My first time on a race track and a full R20 on at 7-2, Robbie Hill up for Dennis Drier for the Oppenheimers, Out of Africa entered straight in front and drew further and further clear. For my R20 it matters not everyone rememberers Olympic Duel and not Out of Africa. Had a good day that day also backed Blue Jewel Robbie Fradd for clodagh Shaw.

22. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Tks Mr Ed 😂 Ouch The Barbican cost me my 1968 Chevy Camaro once upond a fine day,,if memory serves me right it was a 1000m dash out at Greyville getting beat by a head,,he certainly put me back on my feet

23. George Croucher says:

Terence Stamp’s Far From The Madding Crowd a Masterpiece

That’s early 70’s, George?

Rod, do you remember when St Just downed Olympic Duel @ Greyville ?

Olympic Duel started 4/10.

Rolands Song for sure, I know one of her victories was a cliffhanger…but which one ?