Home » Racing & Sport » Opinion » KZN Racing – Pools In Relatively Good Shape

KZN Racing – Pools In Relatively Good Shape

The great barrier draw-saddlecloth debate

There has been much debate about the change regarding barrier draws matching saddle cloth numbers in KwaZulu-Natal, some positive and some negative.

The ‘nay-sayers’  tend to be more vocal, while the rest of the betting public fall into two categories – those who have welcomed the innovation and those who just get on with it and adapt to and embrace the change.

KZN racing in good shape (Pic – Candiese Lenferna)

Students of form look at any number of pointers when studying a race.  Weight, barrier draw, course, distance, jockey, trainer, breeding, combination statistics, prior betting odds, prior finishing positions and even merit ratings are all components that the studier needs to consider before selecting a horse.

Now, one major component has been simplified.

The card number is the barrier draw!

Form studiers will know that the barrier draw is critical at both racecourses in KZN, be it Hollywoodbets Greyville or Hollywoodbets Scottsville.

The barrier draw might also be considered crucial at Durbanville, the Turffontein inner track, Kenilworth, Flamingo Park and all Vaal races around the turn.

Traditionally, the top-weighted entrant was number one on the card, but that horse wasn’t always, necessarily, the highest merit rated and may not even be carrying the highest weight with apprentice allowance adjustments. That fact could not be taken for granted.

Now one thing is indisputable – the horse number is its barrier draw.  All the other components still need to be checked by the punter.

The USA and many South American countries also use this method to configure their race cards.  Whether they’ve done this to differentiate themselves from the traditional European, and dare we say British way is unknown. But they run highly successful industries in their jurisdictions.

There has also been no negative impact on the totalisator pools for KZN racing.

On the contrary, the pools for KZN racing are in far better shape than for any other province in the country.

From all accounts, the betting public have adapted to the change.

The use of pseudonyms is permitted by posters to afford everybody the equal opportunity to inform or express ideas, on condition that the content of any post does not infringe upon any aspect, stated or implied, of the Sporting Post's advertised public comments policy.

It should be expressly noted that the views expressed by posters are not necessarily those of the Sporting Post.

58 comments on “KZN Racing – Pools In Relatively Good Shape

1. hilton witz says:

Whoever wrote this tripe needs to attach his or her name to the article ..I have not heard one positive comment about this change from anyone in racing ..So its done in usa and south america but then why is it not done in countries where sa punters mostly bet on overseas like the uk australia hong kong and dubai ?If its so damn great then why are the rest of the country not following it?The people behind this change are not consulting prominent players in the industry and quite frankly are just showing them the middle finger…Gold circle are trying to be different just for the sake of it and i await an answer from their propaganda expert ..

2. Roderick Mattheyse says:

Frankie is going to need empirical evidence e

3. Pops says:

Frankie,take a deep breath and count to twenty.Steady,Steady then let your fingers do the talking.
    So some debates were positive and some negative.
    It would be good to know if this is from Gold Circle.

4. Pops says:

So the card number barrier draw being the same had nothing to do with making it easier for newcomers and racing fans in general to follow their selections from the saddle cloth number and standardised saddle cloth colour, through to the starting stalls where the number and colour will be clearly displayed.As Mr Raf Sheik once stated.
    It is to help the seasoned doofus punter.
    So why just do away with printing the barrier draw number when it is the same as card number.That should help the doofus seasoned punter.

5. George Spelvin says:

The only thing which is simplified is the logic. Mere words are now empirical evidence. You must be somewhat dim to believe that a mere random numbering can improve pools. Creative accountants are the life blood of management intent on deception. Do I take it that soon the KZN stakes will be improved back to what they were before the large cuts last year? Come on KZN eat your words. What is the next innovation, sectional timing for the newbies who cannot easily follow their horses from the gate?

6. Dave other says:

Just for the record, I don’t like it either. I’ve always viewed weight as being a more important factor than draw and hence prefer the sequencing in weight order. As Pops has said, why bother to publish the draw if it mirrors the number of the horse in the race card.

7. Shanil says:

What a shame. Punters are still betting agreed but studying the form book is now frustrating. Weight is more important than draws for some.

8. eric red says:

Hate it,go back to weight numbers ect

9. PreggieS says:

I must agree, an utter shame that our brain surgeons change something that is not broken, we have learnt to study a form knowing the old card format, now me, 30 years later, must adapt to a new format because……….. I agree it’s frustrating and as punters we are creatures of habit and have developed individual methods of diciphering the info on a race card….. and our creative geniuses decide to change it….. and we must just accept it….. in my opinion, revert to the old format, like the rest of the country…… why must we have a different format, armbands for jocks, coloured saddle cloths…. when we only follow the horse from the draw it jumps from. Everything worked fine previously. Please people concentrate on something more productive…. innovative and stop causing confusion.

10. Gman says:

Not one positive comment.The author must be from another planet.I dont think the pools are bigger it might be that the profit margin is much better because of the money the punters are losing due this scrambled race card.Profit margins outweight the punters comments/suggestions.They know we will still have a punt regardless.Have a survey on this and see the outcome.

11. Chris says:

Wow.Great news on the pools.Maybe this might persuade Gauteng and Cape to follow suit so I can also get really irritated with studying that form as well.Ridiculous change supported by not one person I know in racing and that’s a lot.

12. ryan says:

I can understand change….but that begs the question why are all form guides aligned….Kzn racing has become frustrating and no longer a joy for the punter.

William said it best – upside down Race Card. If this article is to be believed, then this is staying. Nothing wrong pushing for new customers, but don’t forget about the ‘old’ ones.

On a more positive note – Happy Punting, and to the 10,500 + Competition participants, good luck and get on early 👍

14. Donald says:

Not ONE positive post ?

………………… and Frankie stayed out !

Maybe Frankie is off to Hollywood in person…..

16. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…400k PA 1 Bar P6 😂😂😂there we go Cecil wait until they start LATCHING onto the open bet

17. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Donald there comes a time and say enough is enough unfortunately it’s not a concern for Hollywoodbets and Gold Cirlce … Bye Bye KZN racing I’ll be back when the game comes tumbling down and only then will they maybe decide on bringing the OLD FORMAT back 😢

18. Pops says:

Now one thing is indisputable – the horse number is its barrier draw.
    Indisputable you say?That is not true.
    For when number 3 gets scratched and number 13 the first reserve comes in the horse number is 13 and barrier draw is 3.
    But the fun begins when number 2, 7 and 16 gets scratched and we have 3 reserve runners 17,18 and 19 that come in.
    This could happen in an July field.
    How would we know which horse got scratched first second and third.How would this be displayed?
    So first reserve number 17 with good form could jump from stall 2,7 or way out at 16.
    Gold Circle could tell us.

19. Gman says:

Have a look at the payouts at Greyville today.It felt like placing a bet on the Cheltenham festival.Well done to the few that made something.This is the reason why the card is scrambled.That carry offer moola can grow for a few months.

20. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey….🤣🤣🤣 sorry guys i just could not help laughing about a comment made…Anyway back to KZN Computaform concerning this new format,,maybe I should wisen up a few trainers that are that are not aware that reserve runners could sometimes fall into your favour with the New Format .if you are nominating 2 or more runners in a race and one or even 2 of them happen to be reserved runners then one could start manipulating draws to a certain degree once scratchings are done day’s before a race or to the very last minute of race day just before 9am,, there’s going to be trainers that will make it count to benifit themselves when the opportunity comes around…I’ll certain latch on when it happens most of the time I might not be exactly on the button but most times I should hit the nail on the head,, now this is where another problem comes in,, not all Computaform users understand how to read and gasp most of the information that is printed in Computaform,,belive me i personally know of a good few Computaform users that don’t understand a lot of the stuff that has been printed in Computaform and the joke is they have been using Computaform for 20/30 years and still dont understand most of the information printed,,never mind the guys that have been around for years what about the so called new comers how on earth are they going to the latch on yet alone figure out when a trainer has manipulated the draws to favour him/her…That’s the 1st flaw in the new format,,trainers don’t have to be rocket scientist to work the 1st flaw out..the 2nd flaw that I found is just as important as the 1st flaw so I decide on being a bit selfish and keeping that for my personal use if I ever decide on punting again in KZN..
    if the old format is reinstated I will I’ll certainly be back…Happy Fishing/Hunting

21. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…I’m hearing now that the PICK 6 was a carryover at Greyville yesterday 😂

22. Rian says:

Mention anything about Hollywoodbets and your comment gets classed as toxic , looks like they captured SP

Hi Rian

Racing is at an all-time low.

We cannot, and are not prepared, to allow baseless badgering, digging and sarcasm directed at any entity.

What’s the point?

If it’s patently destructive or contravenes any aspect of our comments policy – in our opinion – we trash it.

Thanks for appreciating our viewpoint.
      Regards

23. Rian says:

Hi Ed

Your last sentence says it all, and no thx

As for your first one, proves my point

24. Rian says:

This joint venture between Gold Circle and Devin Heffer Hollywood bets that started as a trail period has it contributed to any substantial high in racing
    All I’m saying is why is a Bookmaker allowed to change formats that have stood the test of time
    Now you know why

25. waynefouche says:

Hilton Witz has it nailed. So there in no point in debating something the author of the article is trying to push down punters throats.

No thanks to KZN racing – saves me bucks not betting there but I feel sorry for those people who have difficulty studying form having an unnecessary change made to something not broken.

26. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…this will be one of the most expensive lessons learnt for the clever guys that interefere with KZN Computaform,,time will tell…

27. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey… Wayne Fouche how can one possibly not debate about this NEW FORMAT who the hell are they just to change something that has been around for decades…do they honestly think we playing with stolen or monopoly money

28. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Mr Ed any particular reason for not posting my posts ? Do you not think that it’s important to let Hollywoodbets know along with Gold Cirlce that the new format in Computaform for KZN will kill pools ? Remember onething and no disrespect to the smaller player that the R10 or R50 player only contributes to a 3rd of the pool never mind what bulldust you hear differently…Is it not a concern that the open bet will eventually kill the national pools ?

Hi Frankie
      The message has been passed on.

Good afternoon Mr. Editor and the Sporting Post,

May I be allowed to ask fellow Sporting Post Bloggers if in their opinion, the new formatted Natal race card is a positive or a negative when they are studying or about to have a punt.

This in the light the article published. I really would like to put it to the test.

Let’s forget about who is or isn’t the driving force behind this format but least we forget the punter.

The various racing operators use the very cliched phrase, ‘ The Punter always comes first, without them we can close our doors’.

Over many years I have prided myself or at least think that I’m ‘close to the ground’ with what the punter/racegoers, old or new, expects from the various racing products.

However, the feed-back or lets call it, the exit poll information I’ve received has been nothing but dismal about this formatted race card. Now, I thinking, is the consensus that I’ve gathered distorted or just down right rubbish ?

Please readers, kindly respond with just a Positive or Negative on this chain, if that’s acceptable with the Sporting Post ?

Haikona, No, Nee, Negative, F%k dit

31. Susan - Cecil se SkoonMa says:

Yebo
    Ja
    Positive
    Sies

32. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Thank you Mr Ed much appreciated

33. Marina says:

I don’t like the new format, it’s another thing you have to take into account when making your selections. On the other hand, it’s easier to analyse results afterwards, you don’t have to look up the draws.

34. Pieta says:

Cecil, lekker om te sien jy en die auntie is coupled on the tote…😁😁

😂 Pieta 👍

36. waynefouche says:

@Frankie Zackey – my comment was a sarcastic one as I am in total agreement with all who wish that Hollywoodbets return to the tried and tested way SAffers watch their racing.

37. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Wayne Fouche I know that my friend I’m certainly not having a dig at you,,let’s hope the old format is back as soon as possible…Not playing KZN racing for me is a cardinal sin,,it’s the 5th meeting now that i haven’t had a bet,,it’s absolutely killing me inside,, now with the Coronavirus around makes it a 1000 times more stressful 😢 I must be totally honest the only consolation is that I’ve definitely saved a few pound looking at passed results…

38. John Mansoor says:

As per William Milkovitch’s question.

Re: Is the KZN Computaform’s New Format a Positive or a Negative ?.

If I can throw my R45.00 rand worth into the pond, I say it’s a complete Negative !

Within 3 weeks of the New formats launch, I stopped buying the KZN Computaform and have not placed any bets on KZN racing since (My TAB online account can verify this fact, if the Powers That Be want proof of this statement).

I believe the original format works best, where the highest MR rated runner is 99% of the time carded as No 1, the second best MR rated carded as No 2 and so forth. Statistics show more winners come from horses with high MR rating than from horses with good draws. Form study starts with identifying Class first, then only followed by other factors like distance suited, jockey draws etc. Class will more often have the ability to overcome obstacles than just relying on a good draw to achieve victory.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, John

39. Dave other says:

a big no from me as well

40. Graham Hurlstone-Jones says:

POSITIVE………… ( you don’t have to read if you don’t want to ) I am ok with it….The first thing I see is the draw and then after studying the form ( yeah right…form, good luck with that ) I sit back and can see the stalls in front of me and the obvious horse stands out ( if there is one )…..You have the draws already right in for of you as opposed to the weights, big fat horses seem to be a pink colour in my head ( top weights ) the quicker ones more a purple and the winner is orange….just my heads response to the info…..So if a top weight is drawn 1 and has Kennedy on board after its 2nd run, the race is a pinnacle then its a banker….orange ! ( I think this comes from growing up using magic fluorescent markers ) So when I look at any card on the day, the results are already there in colour, it looks like the light spectrum, every race has its own unique footprint. I have to say I don’t really see what difference it makes ? in fact I find it easier and I need all the help I can get ( and there in lies the problem )….A quick glance tells me who will have the earliest chance whatever they are carrying or who is on the back….the draw is the first thing I look for any way, its the quick bit, now even quicker….but thats just me.I play the US a lot so maybe more used to it, I dont see the problem, except change……I could be doing it completely wrong and I listen intently to everything this forum brings up…..I am struggling with MR and quite honestly I find it a distraction at the moment. The nuances on the day seem to discount form but I do enjoy looking for the patterns……anyway, still POSITIVE…..( always listening intently ).

41. Brad 01 says:

This is a very dumb format ,
    Whoever is really confused about barrier draw and horse number should not be punting.
    Actually I find so many errors in the fotoform and every time the errors are repeated and this finds its way into the form guide

42. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…You got to be kidding me another Pick 6 carryover in KZN…wow wow wow it seems that the new format is working wonders for bookmakers 🤣🤣🤣

43. joao says:

I don’t mind it. Kzn still my most profitable punting venue with Kimberley lying in 2nd. The wooden spoon goes to JHB by a short head from Cape Racing.

So they changed things around a bit. Rail Trip was still a good bet today irrespective if it was number 1 or if it was number ajjd234299

There are races that one just cannot work out the result. Thats why Field is a very popular number in racing.

For me the biggest change needed in SA tote betting is the introduction of “favourite” as one of the options to select in exotics.

As for the barrier / draw dictating the card number its ok with me and genuinely makes no difference.

Thanks to those who have responded thus far.

Let’s see how the other SP Bloggers feel.

45. Peter de Beyer says:

The new format makes no difference to me, but I think is problematic for the majority of punters, especially those who can’t afford form guides with all the necessary info, but who rely on the free tab sheet or newspaper page.
    As for the P6 result at Greyville yesterday, the main reason was Mouille Point. In the old format it would have been #6 instead of #9. Most people presumably went short in the first two legs and last leg, as Railtrip looked a banker, with only one or two possible dangers, and the Maiden Plates seemed the other obvious legs to go short, since there were then 3 lottery races ( low MR handicaps). I doubt that many more people would have found Mouille Point under the old format since not in the top few.
    Teichman at the back would have been #4 ( and 3rd top after the scratching of Fade to Black) so that one( # 9) may have been been impacted by the new format.

46. Shanil says:

Absolutely hate the new format. Weight kills horses . Draws whilst a handicap requires skill to overcome. Marcus proved this many times. Could not see same trainer couplings in the computer form this weekend. Am I going blind. Important info for punting.

47. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…I believe that the Hollywoodbets and Gold Cirlce Manna are sitting tomorrow to discuss that matter that’s what I was told by Raf…I’ll guess the OLD FORMAT will be priced up at very restricted odds at around 1/10 to be reinstated..

48. Pops says:

Frankie.Cecil,William and others the reason why you are finding problems with this new format is because you can’t afford form guides with all the necessary info, but rely on the free tab sheet or newspaper page.That is according to Peter de Beyer.
    So guys get with it.

49. Gman says:

By the looks of things it seems as if Peter had some input with implementing this new Format.He broke it down to the T.Maybe some training for us “who cant afford guides” would be great buddy.Please share your wisdom!!!Free tab sheets yah right.

Pops and to others, I not seeking a consensus or poll on who can or cannot afford other publications, 1 ply or 2 ply toilet paper.

It was a simple request, when reading the new KZN format, is it a positive or a negative, for YOU ?

That’s it…

51. Preston says:

Some positives for the racing industry is the 1% cut in interest rate.Lower oil price will lead to relatively lower inflation. Lower transportation cost will benefit horse 🐎 owners. PHM interest cover ratio to EBITA will improve. consumers will have a little bit more disposable income.

52. Pops says:

William,We think that—- OK forget it. Negative.

😂 Pops the last time I played from the newspaper, was early 80s as a ‘weakly’ paid apprentice. Think Richard Mac (RiP) was then the Tipster with The Natal Mercury, cannot remember The Natal Witness guy (oldest paper on SA )

Short Answer – Negative, NO Thanx.

But I’m still playing 👍

54. Donald says:

Negative !

But like I commented on in an earlier post , he who pays the piper calls the tune and that tune is coloured saddle cloths ( nice touch ) coupled to the barrier position ( poor touch ) !