Home » Racing & Sport » COVID 19 – SA Weight Minimum Upped

COVID 19 – SA Weight Minimum Upped

Effective final acceptances on Monday 23 March 2020

National Horseracing AuthorityIn line with other racing jurisdictions and in the best interest of Jockeys and horseracing, the National Horseracing Authority of Southern Africa has raised the minimum riding weight in races to 54 kgs.

The change is to accommodate the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and will be implemented for final acceptances from Monday, 23 March 2020 and until further notice.

Should the minimum weights in any race at the close of final acceptance be less than 54 kgs it shall be raised to 54 kgs and all other weights will be raised accordingly.

In certain unique cases (conditions and plated races) there may be a deviation in the best interest of the race and the majority of the field.

• Press release by NHA on Thursday 19 March 2020

12 comments on “COVID 19 – SA Weight Minimum Upped

1. Steve Reid says:

So what is the weight range in these handicaps? Does the top weught increase to 62kg?

2. Johnny Peter says:

Please raise work rider races, these guys are starving themselves. Please🙏🙏🙏

3. Louis Goosen says:

I had to check the date when I read this one…. and yes, I have not been in a coma and first of April has not yet arrived….

4. james says:

racing should be called off .dont put people at risk

5. Ignatius says:

James, life goes on. We can’t close and lock the country. We’re will these jocks and trainers get money from? These people also needs to make a living. We hope all goes well and everyone stays safe and virus free.

6. Joe says:

James. Jhb racetracks are like ghost towns at the best of times.
    let the horses run and the public can still have a bet in the privacy of their homes.
    The show must go on.

7. Louis Goosen says:

ED, could u please check if this article was published on the correct date…. 1st April is still a few days away.

Basically, the population has been raised by 4 points. Bernard will still waste to ride 58, Anton will ride at 56 etc. They will call for rides within their range. Nobody will suddenly start riding at 2kg heavier.

Going hand in hand with this is the call to stop raiders….
    We can understand the potential of grooms carrying the virus to Hostels etc. But the jocks ? All that will happen is that Warren wont be able to ride the Jhb horses and he wont get anymore 52kg rides…. now I wonder who that will suit…? I have been in Racing for long enough to know that hidden agendas exist most of the time.

The strangest of all, is that no Trainers were consulted. And yes, it does effect and concern Trainers.

Definitely not post-dated, Louis 🙂

8. Michael Jacobs says:

I’m not understanding why James says racing should be called off because of the corinavirus.

Banks are open, retail stores and malls are trading, bars, restaurants and pubs are open (albeit with restrictions). Public transport continues as per normal. So can someone explain to me why racing has to be cancelled? All these posters are ranting and whining on and on about closing down racing, yet not one has made a cogent case for doing so. It baffles me.

Good personal hygiene, social distancing, prevention if oncourse spectators is more than adequate to ensure safety for the participants.

James should stop punting until he feels it is safe to do so. I wonder if James and Mavistos go to retail stores to buy food, or have they self-isolated?

9. Titania McTaggart says:

Did I miss something? Does the fear of COVID-19 cause weight gain in humans? Given the lack of detail in this press release might I ask the editor to append the press releases from “other racing jurisdictions” to understand the reasoning for this decree.

10. Rod Mattheyse says:

What!!! No consultation with the all powerful SANTA… reminds me of Kevin Bloody Wilson, Santa Clause you $&@$, where’s my @&$”@@[email protected] bike, I’ve looked through all this other @&&) and there’s nothing that I like.

11. Sherwin says:

Louis, I’m afraid the joke is on you. Decisions were taken in the interest of jockeys health. So you think that the grooms are the only ones at risk of being infected and spreading the virus? I suggest you wake up to what’s happening around you. Be grateful that measures were implemented to ensure that you are still able to earn a living during this time. Most are not that fortunate right now. This is no time to be smart. We all need to adapt and comply so that we can flatten the curve.