Home » Racing & Sport » Lockdown Hint – ‘Make Your Worst Day Your Best Day’

Lockdown Hint – ‘Make Your Worst Day Your Best Day’

'Superman is overrated'

Love or loathe the man, there is no question that the brilliant Andrew Fortune will go down as one of the most naturally talented SA Champion Jockeys of the 21st century.

He is most certainly our most charismatic and a man with star quality who could just have easily made a career in movies or politics.

In a world where few play open cards, and what we see is seldom what we get, we have a revisit of Andrew Bon’s film ‘A Burning Desire’, which tells the riveting story of the Candyman’s return to the saddle after a long and treacherous battle with drugs, weight and inner demons.

If Lockdown’s making you miserable and life feels like sandpaper, grab a fanta and enjoy it.

17 comments on “Lockdown Hint – ‘Make Your Worst Day Your Best Day’

1. Ursula says:

Took a lot from it my friend, wise well done!! We are do very proud of you!!

2. Gavin says:

Champion… The candyman always had the best hands in the game… Someone should get this story on our news channels.. This gives us all hope in Theese times… Nice Andrew bon

3. Steve Reid says:

I went into the old Randburg Tatts one afternoon circa 1997/8, in that centre just off the corner of Republic and Jan Smuts Ave. There was Manna in all his glory. Now I was young and innocent in those days and had no idea about his troubles. The man looked pregnant he was so dik, and I thought to myself wow he’s retired and is now a bookie.

When he made his comeback I was amazed. Respect

4. Deon Anthony says:

Andrew Fortune has new meaning to life, his strong believes and willpower will go a long way

Watching this clip had me gasping for words, all I can say to Andrew Fortune is listen to the words of the song Yesterday’s Hero by John Paul Young – this song was written many moons ago for you my friend

5. Leon Smuts says:

Moving, really moving. Emptiness is a huge void we all have to fill at some stage and so glad he has filled it with the best medicine. Well done both Andrews, heart and soul.

6. Ralph Fell. says:

Accolades to Sporting Post for their remarkable array of articles in these uncertain times. Following the publication religiously on a daily basis did wonders for my soul. Andrew Fortune – you Freed my Heart. Any insights into where the nickname Manne originated?

That’s very kind of you, Ralph. Thanks!
      Appreciate your passion and support.
      Have asked Andrew to elaborate on the ‘Manne’ tag

Hi Ralph
      Andrew tells us that his Mom gave him the name, Manne.
      She had two boys, four girls and then he arrived.
      So Mom called him Manne – “She thought I’d be the main man…” he says.
      Mom wasn’t far wrong! 🙂

Andrew Fortune, special human being… Man, I use to enjoy his winning interviews with Laff.

8. Gareth van Zyl says:

How fitting, that he did become a South African Champion. I am familiar with the story, but it doesn’t get old. Andrew Fortune will leave a legacy, a chapter in our industry, like no other.

9. Rian says:

There are many trainers, owners, punters, administrators with lots of different demons
    A magician on and off the horse and fantastic to watch never seen him hurt a Horse, to me that’s special

10. Jonathan says:

Andrew, I think, played Sunday league football with us in Elsies River on the Cape Flats when we were 10..to 13 years old. If my memory serves me correct, Overly competitive at times to say the least. Small in stature but surprised a few big uns. Gave as good as he got.

11. martin le Roux says:

I remember when being with Ricky Maingard stable in the mid nineties when Space Walk won the July,Andrew rode and won on a lot of top weights in the yard. Just loved his comments when you asked him how your horse had worked he would answer- Great, I would back her with my own money-.Top horseman with a knack to get the best out of a horse. I wish him many more successful years in a game that thrives on characters.

12. Martin le Roux says:

I remember in the mid nineties when I had a horse with Ricky Maingard in partnership with Norman Sanan, Andrew won on quite a few stable top weights.Loved his comment when you asked him how your horse was working he replied.” I would back her with my own money.”. Top horseman who knows how to get the best out of a horse. I wish him many more successful years in a game that needs characters.

13. Cliffie says:

The best human being and one of the best jocks in the game. He would phone me just to find out how i am coping in Kimberley. Just admire the man. Thank you Manna

14. Gerald Francis says:

Thanks to Andrew fortunes tips i caught the biggest P6 of my life many years ago, Andrew tipped me Abbeys Lad and said Paul Gadsby would win on a 20/1 called Flaming Thunder for Hodgson , incidenatally that was Gadsby last ride as a jockey before retiring ,both won resulting in a P6 of over 150k.If Andrew told you a horse would win , stand in the queue.
    There will only ever be one Andrew Fortune.

15. Shanil says:

Andrew told the Clairwood punters on course as he was cantering to the start . My horse won’t lose. The horse won and Laff chirped him afterwards why are you only giving the punters 8 to 10 winners why not give bigger prices horses as well. His reply was as usual interesting. Which bank will give you 80% return in 3 minutes.