Home » Racing & Sport » Just Over A Week To Go…

Just Over A Week To Go…

Decent quality programme for 17 April at Fairview

While nobody outside of government’s inner circles knows if the lockdown will indeed end next Thursday at midnight, Alan Greeff and the rest of the Port Elizabeth trainers are assuming the meeting scheduled for Friday 17 April is going ahead.

Alan Greeff (Photo: Coastal Photos)

East Cape Champion Alan Greeff – ready to roll

“The weights and acceptances are both happening on Monday morning, assuming the situation doesn’t change before then” commented the big man to Tabnews on Wednesday.

“It’s been relatively much business as usual, except of course there is no racing.

“The staff are all working, as are the horses, but we’ve eased back slightly, and freshened a lot of them up, as we don’t know for sure when the next race meeting will be.”

And NHA guidelines regarding the lockdown are being adhered to.

“We have to finish by 09h30, and break into smaller strings as part of social distancing measures. And obviously we all regularly sanitise and wear masks.

“Our jockeys are also back working this week, beacause we are all assuming we will race next Friday. If so Greg Cheyne will be driving up from Cape Town” he says in an optimistic conclusion.

The Fairview card next Friday is an enticing one, with no less than four Listed events.

The Glenlair Handicap over 2800m, and the 2000m East Cape Oaks for three-year-old fillies were both already scheduled for this date, and the East Cape Guineas(1600m) and East Cape Sprint Cup(1200m) have been added from the meetings that were lost.

Under normal circumstances a few Western Cape raiders would make the trip, but obviously that will be more complicated under the present status quo.

• Tabnews

17 comments on “Just Over A Week To Go…

1. jc lee ching says:

Really? his not serious?

2. Ravi says:

This is the type of thinking that one has to only assume is very folly. How can someone prepare for something that is unknown to the entire country. Academics/Researchers/Government sit with various research/virus models in front of them, and they are still unsure about infection numbers, they are staring at three to four different scenarios and are at loggerheads trying to understand what happens next. All the best for your meeting on Friday.

3. Brian says:

Lord Baden Powell. There not folly and he is serious

4. Oscar says:

I wish I could share his optimism but I can’t.
    I am hundred percent sure, the manner in which things are going across the globe.
    The State President is going to extend the lockdown for another two weeks.

1/100 Oscar, and yo can’t get a bet on

6. Leonard Snoyman says:

Sporting post “PE Trainers Ready For 17 April”
    Read my comment …..

7. Brian says:

Who would you rather have your horse with, the guy who says, “I’m gonna be ready just in case” or the guy that says, ” no ways are we gonna race”

Half empty or half full. I know, I hate that one too but I’m half way through a dozen Hansa so I couldn’t think of a better one

🍺 Hansa, ” brewed for the dreamer “

9. Ashraf says:

What do they dont understand of lock down 😡😡😡😡

10. AA says:

How wrong can one be???Sad for racing,but reality is that we are stuck in the mud!!

11. Oscar says:

Well my prediction was correct. We have to hold out for another two weeks
    Hopefully this post of mine will finally see the light of day.

I wish I could share his optimism but I can’t.
      The State President is going to extend the lockdown for another two weeks.

This was published obo Oscar at
      2020/04/09 at 2:01 pm

Ashraf, just a slight diversion about knowing, the Americans must be the the most stupid people.

Just watch the TV coverage on the other various channels of how they talk about and pretend to understand the early stages of the statistics available.

They use these big words to massage the stats to suit the message line.

Comparing the USA per capita income to access or job opportunities they must be very close to been the best collection of numbskulls ever.

They are still allowing groups of ten in certain states.

Their fatalities are going to be the worst

13. Gavin says:

Wishful thinking

14. Donald says:

Brian , go easy on the Hansa mate , you will have to now stretch your current stock until the end of April !

15. Oscar says:

Sorry Ed.My second post was really uncalled for.I allowed my impatience to get the better of me.
    Unfortunately these postings are like a bullet once it leaves the chamber you can’t call it back.
    Please accept my sincere apologies as I am aware you have a tough job to do.

Thanks for the note Oscar
      Appreciate your input – whether bullets or arrows – or bouquets
      Lockdown not easy 🙂