Home » Racing & Sport » Lockdown Day 12 – Richie Back At Work

Lockdown Day 12 – Richie Back At Work

Started again on Tuesday

Richard Fourie has been keeping busy during racing’s enforced break.

(Chase Liebenberg Photography)

Richard Fourie ((Chase Liebenberg Photography)

Tabnews reports that Justin Snaith’s stable jockey is a dedicated family man, and has been at home with wife Tatum and their children.

“I’ve been swimming a lot to retain fitness. Weight wise I eat fish and chicken and lean meat, and only two portions a day so it’s well under control.I’m not someone who goes to gym, as I bulk up easily which would lead to weight problems, so that’s not something I have lost in terms of conditioning.

“Luckily I don’t have a sweet tooth, and my cheat would be something like a piece of biltong.”

And he has resumed riding work in preparation for the return of racing.

“It’s been difficult to get to Philippi due to the restrictions. But I rode work again Tuesday morning– after going through three roadblocks.

“The horses look fantastic. The level of fitness is definitely there. Justin is running a tight ship, and I take my hat off to him. All the grooms have gloves and masks, but apart from that not much has changed.

“As for myself I feel better than before. I was carrying a few little niggles but now my body has fully recovered.”

And this responsible citizen has a message for the racing public.

“It’s frustrating at this time, but we’re all in this together and I would like to appeal to everyone to listen to what the  President says. Practice social distancing and keep to the rules of the lockdown. We will come through this.”

• Tabnews

16 comments on “Lockdown Day 12 – Richie Back At Work

1. Philip Goldberg says:

The only Richie that should be out there working is Lionel Richie on your radio.
    When will people start understanding this?
    Be safe, stay at home.
    COVID-19 is not fake news, its real!!!

Jockeys, horses need to stay fit
      Won’t help Richie dancing on the ceiling at home 🙂

2. Philip Goldberg says:

Hey Ed. I don’t see you leaving your front door to assist.
    When last did you pop outside to buy milk and bread?

3. Colin says:

Mr Editor,
    This article sends shivers down my spine. It is not a matter to joke about.
    You may not like my comment. I know you trash comments which you do not like. You have a moral obligation to every man, woman and child to allow my comments. They are fair. Covid 19 is deadly. This is not a game. Please do not trash this comment. Please allow it in full.

When did jockeys provide an essential service and get the right to drive to ride work?
    When did trainers get the right to engage jockeys to ride work on their horses?
    Why hasn’t the Horse Racing Authority stopped this?
    The Rupert and the Oppenheimer families have each contributed a billion ZAR to the Covid 19 Solidarity Fund. This donation means absolutely nothing to me and most probably them, if their horses are being trained and ridden in work during lockdown.
    The newsworthiness of this article is that it shows how poorly South Africans in horse racing think of others and what is right.

Colin, this is hardly a flagrant abuse of the lockdown regulations.
      The government has provided various exemptions and in the case of horseracing training centres, representations were made to the relevant government authority for permits during lockdown for the movement of essential personnel for purposes of feeding, watering, caring and exercising of horses as well as necessary veterinary treatment.

4. Donald says:

This issue of some horses working and training , others just being walked or lightly worked and some sent to the farms is going to cause a major headache for the punters when horse racing resumes in the future especially if those punters are not on the racecourse to see the condition of the horses !

How will the punters off course punters know which horses have done what in the lockdown period ?

Garth touches on the different trainers approaches – some working hard, some not – but only sand work at Summerveld

5. Brian Fredericks says:

Its true lockdown got everyone on there toes pls patrons we must keep in mind some work has to be done atleast give the jocks and trainers some space we do wot all of us should do we will beat the virus

6. Donald says:

Exactly my point Mr. Ed , so how will the punters know which horses have done what ?

Somebody said racing will emerge with a new attitude, Donald.
      We will monitor that best we can!

7. Desmond zacpack zackey says:

Philip goldberg u have a lot to say but when racing resumes u will be the 1st tipster tipping

8. Philip Goldberg says:

Hi Des. Hope you safe and well my friend. To be honest, my tipping business has trebled, and I’m working 3 times as hard. With 2 pa’s in Sweden daily, and usually one other either in Gulfstream or Happy Valley, its business as usual. And to be honest, we are getting a much better run for our money than we do with local racing. For the past 2-3 years now, local racing springs one result every day, that nobody can find. As a result of this, I have seen tons of exotic player leave the game. Proof of this lies in our daily pools, which are not a fraction of where they should be if we factored in inflation from say 20 years ago.
    On Covid-19, I watch and listen how first world countries medical departments battle, when the number of positive cases start to get out of hand. I’m really hoping that we protected by compulsory vaccination BCG, post 1973. If not, and the virus does spread, it tickets for many here my friend, as there is no ways our hospitals can handle the volumes. That is why I am so staunch on adhering to the lock down, and another one, which will probably be needed too.

9. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Donald just a suggestion for the guy’s that are a bit in the dark for a horses wellbeing,, maybe with a bit of help from Trainer Joe Soma giving his opinion after every canter past will help in some way he’s definitely one trainer that we could trust on judging horses in a parade ring and cantering down…I’m sure Phumelela could structure some deal with Joe,,knowing Joe he wouldn’t even wanna benifit from something like this but then again it’s Phumelela so why not contribute to some sort of a deal with Joe…Donald it’s no secret that I’m a very good mate of Joe’s,,pls believe the man has an eye of note for horses wellbeing and a bigger plus will be his selection for each race…Joe is one of the better form studiers around that I’ve been associated with..Anyway it’s just a constructive thought

10. Hally says:

Lockdown means stay at home. Jockeys need to be with family. Leave the horses to grooms and vets.

11. Hally says: