Home » Racing & Sport » Was It The Raid Of The Decade?

Was It The Raid Of The Decade?

Who remembers Hainan Dao? Watch his shock win

Patrick Labuschagne and Peter Dillon are fondly remembered charismatic personalities of the recent yesteryear. The duo teamed up to pull off what is surely one of the great interprovincial raiding assaults in the past thirty years of feature racing in this country.

1994 Gold Vase

1994 Gold Vase – Hainan Dao pips Fire Arch

Clairwood Park was the scene of a remarkable run by the Cape-based On Stage gelding Hainan Dao in the 2 400m Gr2 Premier’s Gold Vase on 27 August 1994.

A first emergency acceptor for the race, Hainan Dao secured a run a little more than 24 hours before the event after the late defection of Zimbabwean entry San Vito.

After a frantic float trip from Cape Town, trainer Pat Labuschagne and his charge arrived at Clairwood Park only a few hours before the race.

Hainan Dao inherited San Vito’s jockey Peter Dillon and, none the worse for the long haul, moved up smoothly in the straight to take over from the pace-making Royal Voyager inside the final 100m.

He held off a late rally from the hot favourite Fire Arch (NZ) to win by a head with Art de Vivre third. The winner paid R48 the win.

• Watch the replay here – courtesy of Byron Forster

The race also produced an objection against pace-setting Royal Voyager, who was fourth across the line.

Shifting in from the whip in the closing stages, Royal Voyager was responsible for a chain reaction which saw Double d’Or, Flaming Axe, Conman and Spring Hill all running into trouble.

With the objection upheld and Royal Voyager demoted to last, Spring Hill was moved to fourth and Double d’Or fifth.

Has there been a more inspired interprovincial raid in the past thirty years?

26 comments on “Was It The Raid Of The Decade?

1. Chippy says:

Arthur Miller and Andre Hoffman winning the Gold Cup???

2. Mike Wanklin says:

I recall this clearly. But I also remember Lennie Taylor raiding the Gold Cup with a grey Sovereign something). On the road he stopped his horse box to let the horse stretch his legs next to a dam. Hehe the horse decided to go for a swim and started across the dam. Lennie had to run around the other side to capture him. Went on to win the Cup though.

3. Hilton witz says:

Stateway winning the goldcup for the late arthur miller from pe had a story behind it concerning the float down to durban….I waa fortunate to meet the late Peter Dillon and his wife Leonie at an owners home Mrs Gwen willers and both great characters of the game and i dont think Leonie ever missed a meeting that Peter rode in and you could her shouting his horses home a long way oiut especially at the owners and trainers right by the line at clairwood park..Great days

4. Peter Wrensch says:

The late Heintjie Viviers went for a great Get Out Stakes. Punted as an emergency acceptor at long odds. Was ecstatic at the telephone call to run and the horse left on the Friday. I think the call only came early Friday morning.
    I’ve asked Rocky Jutzen and Jaques Rudman to comment as they are unnamed heroes.
    It was pandemonium when the horse won. Alfred Heyns won bombs too.
    First double punt on one horse in one race.
    Getting a run and winning it.
    1400 km away in a day!

5. Carry On Alice says:

Sciantiso winning the Grade 1 Gold Cup in 1997 at any price should be right up with them. Trained by RT Aldous and ridden by Freddy Macaskill. It was a gloomy afternoon I can recall and the Gold Cup ended up being the last race of the day.

Nice one, I hope Leonie sees this one. Great story, Peter Dillon, our local favorite

I also remember the PE horse winning the Gr1 Gold Cup in 1994 at around 33/1. Andre Hoffman for Arthur Miller, a local paper calling him a no hoper. In the race was Surfing Home, disqualified in The July, also remember White Tie Affair.

Morning Mr Editor, please look out and post Stateways link at a later stage ( elsewhere )

Good morning – Sure Cecil

7. Graeme Galansky says:

I was at Patrick’s stables in Milnerton on the Friday morning. They got a call from Durban just after 10. Patrick immediately called Rocky Jutzen who travelled him up in a single berth float. He arrived a few hours before the race. The rest is history.

On the same day I had my first ever winner at Milnerton also trained by Patrick and ridden by Heinz Runge. She was by Peaceable Kingdom called Queen Kelly. I was just 24 at the time and it was the best day of my life! The late David Price laid me 20000/1600! Those were the days.

That’s a great memory
      Is the pic still on your wall, Graeme?

8. Natasha Sampson says:

Love this – thank you for an awesome memory

Pleasure Natasha
      Patrick your Dad?

9. Claudia says:

Thank you for this. The timing is epic as dad is very ill at this time… I have tagged Jacques Rudman and Heinz Runga on my FB share.
    Mom saddled 2 winners back home for dad on the same day. Graham, yes, one was yours… 🤗

10. Claudia says:

Yes, we are 3 daughters. Natasha, Rene and myself. My mom Lorraine is well and dad and her celebrated their 40th Wedding Anniversary on the 16th May. Dad is in hospital but we will celebrate when he is out.. 🤗

All the best, Claudia

11. Graeme Galansky says:

Yes, still got the picture. I kept the course photographer Tony Mincione very busy. I ordered one framed for my dad and another 2 for family in Toronto. I was actually only 22 at the time. I used to go to the stables most days because I fancied Heinz’s girlfriend more than the horses! She was in charge of admin.

True Confessions of a racehorse owner! 🙂

12. Rian says:

You see Ed lot more to it than going to stables to see your Horse
    Wow what a ride by Dillon and that smile said it all, but the amazing ride was by the drivers to get the horse to Durban in the given time and would love to know what route they took
    I’ve taken the N1 in 1980 in my Chev Berlin’s for first time via. Bloem and clocked about 1700 km
    Amazing journey by all, and prayers for your Dad Claudia

True Rian! 🙂

13. Ian says:

What about Carl Burgers win with Grey Cossack

Giantkilling act
      But did he raid or was he based there for a while?

Mr Ed, a more recent one for me is Camphoratus last year winning that Gr1 up Country at long odds. Ok she didn’t do much after that, but had good horses behind here incl Celtic Sea and Running Brave.

Had to mention this KZN one. That’s why our Winter season is my favorite, all the visiting big names

I miss our racing….

15. Lizbok says:

I had the pleasure of actually meeting this horse in Patrick’s stables courtesy of then owner/part owner, Leon Heydenrych. What a beaut, was sad to hear that the horse passed not long after this.

16. Leonie says:

Hi Cecil and Hilton.. Thank you for your kind words.. Yes vocal. How could i not be he was my everything my life my soulmate. The day he died I died inside.. But to watch these memories makes me cry and smile. I was blessed to be his wife and boy he could ride with the best of them. They called him the Xmas jock. Buy that s ok christmas is the best part of the year.. It was a day ill always remember. Thank you sporting post for the memories.. Im still around love my racing. Remarried happy 12 years 3 beautiful kids a Granny and blessed. Peter is with me alll the time… 🙏

Hi Leonie
      Great memories and thanks for participating

17. Viv says:

These were the great days off racing! Peter Dillon, Nicholas Shearer, Stuart Randolph (was much younger) and not to forget M.J. Odendaal(wish him well in his training career); these were jockeys you know you could follow and made money with. Oh, not too forget my favourite the P.E champion Wyllie Uys

18. Gavin says:

Peter dillion was a great.. I was at greyville when he won the flamboyant stakes on star watch.. He was over the moon.. I had a few rand on him.. Racing misses jocks like Peter dillion