Home » Racing & Sport » Owner – Please Let Us See Our Horses

Owner – Please Let Us See Our Horses

Racing behind closed doors - lateral thinking please!

These are extraordinary times. Somebody once likened sport without a crowd to going on a romantic date without the date.

While some of us may have had the experience – being stood up, we mean – it’s terrific to have racing under way on Monday and an owner has written to the Sporting Post Mailbag asking for a fair chance to see his horse,

Joao Da Mata addresses an open letter to TellyTrack:

So the good news is we are racing again.

The bad news is owners are providing the product and cannot attend racing. Unprecedented times call for lateral thinkers.

With that in mind, I thought I would write this and ask the wonderful Sporting Post to publish my suggestion.

All I’m asking is:

1: Can we get at least 90 seconds footage of EACH horse in the parade ring?

2: Can we get to watch the canter down of each horse?

You don’t know, but for us, the backbone of the industry, one of the very few pleasures of owning a racehorse is seeing it.

Ed – we have passed Mr Da Mata’s request on to Tellytrack and GTV.

• Pic for illustration only – kind courtesy Candiese Lenferna

19 comments on “Owner – Please Let Us See Our Horses

1. Leonard Bloch says:

I agree fully with a very wise request.
    My saving grace however,is the fact that my trainer,Sharon Kotzen has the very good sense to send weekly videos of my two in training gallops.
    She has followed this up with an excellent video of all precautions being taken in her barns with regards cleanliness and decontamination of all horses and staff.
    Well done the Kotzen yard.

2. Neil Croft says:

might not be a bad time to get go pros on the helmets od all riders 😉

That could be interesting

3. Brian says:

I would have thought that that would be a natural progression insofar as attracting newcomers to the sport

4. Reddy ronnie says:

I am ronnie Reddy. I like to know if there is going to be racing in south Africa from Monday. Are there going to be any tab. Going to be open. Can we still be playing all the races and how are we going to play if I don’t have any tele bet account

5. Basil says:

I can understand not being able to go to the course, but why can’t owners see their horses in the stable provided screening and hand sanitizing is done. Equine therapy is marvelous treatment for today’s stresses that we have to endure and the horses also value such visits.

6. Jay Akkiah says:

It doesn’t make sense to show a race without showing the horses in the parade ring and the canter to the start

7. Johan says:

Gentleman plse let’s not push our luck too far let’s be content with what we have done so far and enjoy the racing we know that the government works Night shifts and things change overnight let’s do our part and comply with the rules and enjoy our horses open a tell bet acc. It’s easy thank you Johan

8. Muzaffar says:

Why horses are brought to parade ring is to see post travel condition and then canter to stalls is to see whether the horse is happy. So it is very good suggestion to show the above so the horse owners could see by themselves.

Just a reminder that all posters are required to post under their real and verified names,
      You can adjust your display name on your account page or to send corrections privately to the [email protected]

9. Rudi says:

I cant believe this im an owner to . Poeple cried for racing behind close doors its happening now they pushing to see the horse . Watch on tellytrack

Good day from the Tellytrack team. We would like to give the Sporting Post readers, all racing fans and punters, the assurance that we will show as much pre-race footage as practically possible, however we will be guided by the NHA timelines.

Kind regards

Dieter Wohlberg

11. Joao says:

my suggestion is about watching on telly track BUT not all the footage about the 1/3 shot in the race but also the 100/1 shot.

12. Kay says:

Very good idea and by time that we see the horses in parade ring and canter past on tellytrack. Owning a horse and seeing it at stables is totally different from seeing it at the track on the day.

13. Cedric says:

I understand that owners is the lifeblood of the sport. Let there not be haste in running away with this concession given. One small step at a time. First get racing up and running again and then more approaches can be made for add-ons.

14. Anand Chetty says:

One step at a time gentlemen. Racing is underway, the expected tsunami of the covid peak hopefully will be manageable, otherwise one cannot be certain there won’t be another lockdown in the future.
    Adhere to the rules, because this government with their irrational logic will not hesitate to dictate to the citizens again.
    Ronnie Reddy, only online and telebetting allowed.
    Ask a fellow punter to assist you with the registration process.
    I’m not sure if the racing authorities have advised the small punter of his options.
    Perhaps Ed could find out for us.

15. Andy Elton says:

Dear Editor,
    Please can you help? i have 12 horses in training in South Africa, but because of the virus i have returned to the UK where i reside for six months of the year ,i am a member of the RA which allowed me to watch my horses run on tellytrack
    Now when i go to log on it shows a message saying “Tellytrack 1 streaming service only allowed within South Africa ” I have e mailed Tellytrack and they did not even have the courtesy to reply .if you could please get any information i would be really obliged .

Hi Andy