Home » Racing & Sport » Lockdown Day 55 – Snap Puzzle

Lockdown Day 55 – Snap Puzzle

Robin Bruss on the mark again

Robin Bruss was on the mark for the second day running when he identified yesterday’s puzzle pic as Casbah, a colt by Luminary out of Red Fez by Lenin.

The pic showed him with Joe Byrnes up in the parade ring at Turffontein before winning the 1955 Johannesburg Summer Handicap by 5 lengths.

Interestingly, Casbah was trained by the late Jimmy Lithgow’s father-in-law  Les Rathbone.

Today’s pic is an old one – what can you identify about it?

Answer will be published tomorrow morning with the new puzzle.

Enjoy!

14 comments on “Lockdown Day 55 – Snap Puzzle

1. Donald says:

Greyville racecourse between 1930 and 1940 !

Found the right track Donald.
      But Jay has got it – see his comment

2. Jay August says:

Pamphlet after the 1920 Durban Winter Handicap (“July”).with Syd Garrett in the saddle and probably trainer Jim Russell obscured leading them.

Moresby Chinnery, the official handicapper from 1914 to 1946 at Greyville said of him:

“The race has produced some notable performances and amongst imported horses, those of Pamphlet and Glen Albyn stand out. The former, though hardly the beau ideal of a thoroughbred, was undoubtedly a great galloper. He won his second July shouldering the substantial burden of 9st8lbs, though personally, I think his greatest effort was when winning the Berea Handicap over 2 miles. (It was then the precursor of the Gold Cup) with 10st8lbs on his back. I think Pamphlet did not care for a much greater distance than 1¼ miles, which makes his win over 2 miles with a welter weight all the more remarkable.”

This is going to hammer your merit rating, Jay 🙂

3. Pops says:

What can you identify about it? Is that not the way the great late Mr. Jayes begged the ‘modern jockeys’to ride?
    Not short.

4. Jay August says:

Sounds ominous. Can I ask for a plus ten on my MR, and make it kilos?

The committee will mull over that request at leisure, Jay

In meantime, we have a query regarding Persian Wonder facts, – suggesting his first start was not the ’64 Drill Hall Stakes – maybe had a start in the Cape in the care of a trainer named Faria?
      We are digging to check.

5. Jay August says:

On PW that seems correct although I am not sure of trainer and race as I do not have the racing calendar with me so cannot check right now. I used Duff’s Turf Guide for that write-up but of course that only showed his Durban form in the beginning and so I omitted prior runs in the Cape which on checking appear to have included the 1964 Queens Plate.

6. John Bryant says:

His first start was in the Queens Plate (Jan 64) won by Roderick. He finished second last. The 64 Drill Hall was his second start.

7. Billy says:

Per the ARO website Persian Wonder ran ninth in the Queen’s Plate on 1st January 1964. Ridden by a G Stuart

8. Basil says:

Persian Wonder had his last run in England at Sandown on 23 October 1963 and ran his first race at Kenilworth 2 months later on New Years day 1964. He ran 13 unplaced runs in South Africa.

9. Donald says:

Jay should retire to stud seeing that the Ed is going to up his M.R. to a level that he will not be able to compete with us mere mortals ?

Interesting subject Pops to ride short or long , it seems that today jockeys are taught / trained to ride short !

10. Jay August says:

What was Ian’s rationale for riding long versus short?

On retiring to stud it seems I have just dropped in merit given my missing PW’s first start in the Cape, but I will use as my defence that the lockdown has distanced me from my primary source of paper info. I have yet to digitise enough material to make working under the secluded circumstance of house arrest error free!

Luckily in the age of the internet there are enough sharp-witted people to keep one on one’s toes. Such error’s in the pre-internet age often went unnoticed and passed into the future as fact.

11. martin le Roux says:

I remember being at the course for Persian Wonder’s first start. Came from abroad with all the bells and whistles and didn’t do himself justice in SA. If memory serves he came here as a 7yo. became a very good sire. Probably wrong but Theo de Klerk rings a bell as the trainer.