Home » Racing & Sport » Lockdown Day 56 – Snap Puzzle

Lockdown Day 56 – Snap Puzzle

Jay August identifies Pamphlet in 100 year old pic

Pamphlet (Pic – Form Organisation)

Yesterday’s 100 year old pic of Pamphlet and Syd Garrett after their 1920 Durban Handicap win was identified quickly by Jay August, who has had a good few wins in this series.

His answer also quoted Moresby Chinnery, the official handicapper from 1914 to 1946, at Greyville, who said:

“The race has produced some notable performances and amongst imported horses, those of Pamphlet and Glen Albyn stand out. The former, though hardly the beau ideal of a thoroughbred, was undoubtedly a great galloper. He won his second July shouldering the substantial burden of 9st8lbs, though personally, I think his greatest effort was when winning the Berea Handicap over 2 miles. (It was then the precursor of the Gold Cup) with 10st8lbs on his back. I think Pamphlet did not care for a much greater distance than 1¼ miles, which makes his win over 2 miles with a welter weight all the more remarkable.”

Well done, Jay!

Today’s pic – who is the horse and the personality. What is the horse remembered for?

Answer will be provided tomorrow morning with the next puzzle!

22 comments on “Lockdown Day 56 – Snap Puzzle

1. Mikesack says:

The jockey looks like Big Race Joe Byrnes. I’ve only seen him win on Fitzgerald in the Gordons Gin Handicap start to finish.

You are on right track, Mikesack

2. Jay August says:

Taking a flyer here – is this perhaps Merciless Sun the Zim trained Jhb Summer H winner from 1968 with Joe Byrnes?

3. Frederick says:

C’est Si Bon or Last Ray or Cuff Link or Will To Win or Uncle Tom or Applause with Joe Byrnes.
    C’est Si Bon won the 1954 July.
    Cuff Link & Will To Win won the 1963 & 1964 Summer Handicap.
    Uncle Tom finished a short head second to King’s Guard in the 1971 Summer Handicap.

4. Barbara Byrnes says:

Joe Byrnes and Merciless Sun

5. Tony Tombe says:

Jay you are spot on, once again, It is Joe with Merciless Sun who won the 1968 Summer handicap who was trained in Zimbabwe and came down for the race. Maybe Robin Bruss with his knowledge and connection to Zim racing will be able to help with who was the trainer?.
    Frederick, you are correct that Joe also won the Summer on Cuff link and Will to Win,
    Proud of Joe’s riding record which is:
    Summer handicap – 5 wins
    Merchants – 10 wins
    July Handicap – 1 win
    Gold Cup – 1 win
    Cape Met – 1 win
    Christmas Handicap – 5 wins
    Benoni Gunieas – 2 wins
    Dingaans – 2 wins
    Gilbeys – 1 win
    Castle Tankard [ Zim] – 1 win
    Maiden Cup [Mauritus] 1 win
    Those are the ones i know of, not bad for someone who never rode over 40kg so trainers would resist engaging him when there was too much lead to be carried. This was acchieved back in the days of no agents or cell phones and travelling was limited in the 50’s, 60’s when Joe was at his best.

Tony, it was Robin Bruss who submitted the pic to us for use in the daily puzzle.
      He tells that Merciless Sun was trained by his owner, Sir Raymond Stockil and later stood as a stallion in Zimbabwe.

6. Tilly Brown says:

Wow so proud of my Joe Joe’s records. so sorry I only met late in life. I think he would have been that best friend a gorl would love to have. Test in peace my Joe Joe

7. Jay August says:

Tony, it was a guess based on the mane and head which are eye catching for an untrained eye like mine. I recall seeing a picture of Merciless Sun which this picture reminded me of. Here is an interesting entry about him in the March 68 SA Racehorse:

“Won Rhodesian Guineas (8f) R1,500 at Mashonaland on 30-3-68; The Castle Tankard (10f) R10000 at Mashonaland on 4-5-68; The Benson and Hedges Stakes (12f) R5000 at Mashonaland on 1-6-68; and the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (12f) R1500 at Mashonaland on 22-6-68.

Outstandingly the best of his classic generation, Merciless Sun ran up six victories in a row, which included the Rhodesian Guineas, the Castle Tankard and the Benson and Hedges Stakes. As a winner at distances from a mile to a mile and a half he proved himself a true classic horse.

It came as a severe shock to Rhodesian racegoers when their champion was not handicapped for the Durban July. This, indeed, seemed incomprehensible for even if the company he beat was not up to that in the Republic, he could do no more than beat them in the manner he did. The cynics suspected that UNO has been at work, until it was pointed out that the winner of the Cape of Good Hope Derby had received the same treatment!

Merciless Sun was bred by Verborgenfontein Stud and was sold to Rhodesia at the dispersal sale of the late Abe Kruyer. He is owned and trained in Rhodesia by Sir Raymond Stockil”

Joe was also champion jockey in Mauritius at some point if memory serves me correctly?

Fascinating input
      Thanks Jay

8. Frederick says:

Merciless Sun ridden by Joe Byrnes & trained by R Stockil from Rhodesia winning the 1968 Summer Handicap.
    Zimbabwe was known as Rhodesia at that time.
    Hot favourite Bill Bailey ridden by Gerald Turner & trained by H Hoving finished second.

9. Tony Tombe says:

Apologies my error, Joe never rode over 45kg not 40kg

10. Tony Tombe says:

Jay, thanks for the additional information on a very good horse.
    Joe rode for two for two seasons in Mauritius and won the championship both times in 1975 and 1979.
    In 1979 he won the Maiden cup and his son Dave ran second.
    in 1978 he and Dave were as far as i know the only father and son to both ride in the Durban July when Dave ran second on Sea Patrol as an apprentice for David Payne. Riboville won that year and Dave always said he should have won but he sent Sea Patrol too early. Joe rode Chief Scout that year and finished near the back of the field.

11. Tony Tombe says:

Thanks Robin for submitting the photos. Vanessa,- Joe’s daughter and myself are grateful for the memories.

12. Robin Bruss says:

Hello Tony and Vanessa, my pleasure. Joe was a mate of my brother Gareth and so I remember him well when he rode Merciless Sun at Borrowdale. I have had this photo for years – I think it was taken at Greyville when the horse was flown down from Harare (then Salisbury) for the 1969 Rothmans July. Its amazing to think that 50 years ago, it was a relatively easy thing to fly a racehorse from Zimbabwe to Durban to run in a race ! He finished 11th of 19, behind Naval Escort, but such was the quality of the field that six of the horses that ran behind him won G1 races. Sir Ray Stockil was an owner/trainer and always said the horse ran in peak form because he added a bottle of Castle Stout beer to every feed ! Lucky he is not training during Covid ! I love reading all the postings, all correct and full of enthusiasm despite 50 years having passed. This is racing’s passion, not quite forgotten.

13. Donald says:

Hi Tony , just a correction in one of the dates in your posts in respect of ” Big Race or Poker Face Joe ” ?

Riboville won the July Handicap in 1974 and not 1978 , I remember that July very well because Riboville was at any price and his stable companion Elevation the hot favorite but because Marty Schoeman elected to ride Riboville I fancied him to win that July for that reason only !

But alas when I arrived on a troop train a day or two before the , 74 July I asked a young man who was shouting a lot who I later found must be addressed as ” korporaal ” where I must go to have a bet on the July and his answer was quite short and to the point ” jou ***** stupid ***** engelsman ********* ”

I always struggle to find a July winner but when I did find one in , 74 I was not assisted by that young man to strike a winning bet !

Hi Donald, ha ha your military comment brings back a memory 😁 81 July intake

My Korporaal, a bef*kte young man, asked me where I was from. When I said Pmburg, he responded

” Is dit naby Durban en rook jy dagga, almal van Durban is dagga rokers ” 😅

I am no good with these Lockdown Puzzles, but like them along with all the added info from the clever guys

Never too old to learn Mr Ed, right ?

Thank You, SP articles 🐴 brightens my day, the different opinions, comments even more 👍

Thanks Cecil for the positive feedback 🙂
      Was enige Korporaal nie ‘bevoetered’ nie?

True Mr Ed

And here was his goodbye msg to us after basics

“3 maande terug was julle almal n Klomp Groot d*se met k*k houdings – nou is julle net D*se” but, with a smile 😁

16. Wayne Fouche says:

i am not much good with these puzzles but I can’t wait to see them every day.

As for Merciless Sun – my my he was a Handsome fellow. I backed him at 10/1 to win the Summer handicap but got kicked off the cricket team as I was fielding at 3rd man and shouting Merciless Sun home when an opposing batsman snicked one to the fence for a 4. The captain (Ernie Paton) was bowling and shouted to me that I should choose cricket or horses.

Sadly for me (financially) I chose the ponies…..

Lovely snippet, Wayne.
      You remind us of the very passionate Peter Wrensch.
      It was also a toss-up (excuse the pun) between the two sports for him.

17. Tony Tombe says:

Hi Donald, Riboville did win in 1974. Thanks for correcting me, Dave was sixteen that year. In 1978 Politician won the July and what a horse he was.
    Robin we should have remembered Sir Raymond Stockil as we certainly heard all the stories from Joe over the years.