Home » Racing & Sport » 52 Entered For 2020 Vodacom Durban July

52 Entered For 2020 Vodacom Durban July

Action set for behind closed doors

Hat-trick seeking Do It Again is one of ten Justin Snaith charges in an impressive 52 strong listing that  were received at first entry stage on Monday morning for the R1,5 million Gr1 Vodacom Durfban July to be run behind closed doors at Hollywoodbets Greyville on Saturday 25 July.

Do It Again won the big race in 2018 and 2019 and while he is no guaranteed runner, a decison is expected after the Gold Challenge.

While Snaith’s Drill Hall Stakes winner Bunker Hunt is in the entry, his WSB Guineas winner Wild Coast is not an entry at this stage.

The Sporting Post has learnt that, based on lockdown levels, it is hoped that 18 horses can be accomodated in the final field.

0 ALIBI GUY          Mike de Kock     101

0 TWIST OF FATE      Adam Marcus      129

0 VARDY              Adam Marcus      134

0 VICTORIA PAIGE     Sean Tarry       112

0 VIKRAM             Andre Nel        100

0 WESTERN FORT       Paul Peter       108

31 comments on “52 Entered For 2020 Vodacom Durban July

Whatt… Magnificent Seven. Thought this one was retired. Tipped early last year as a long shot for the July.

I just hope Do it Again doesn’t end up draw nr 15 -18, not my fav numbers

Please, anyone from Gold Circle or HWBets, is this trial system going to end before 25 July ? I hope so …..

2. Pieta Louw. says:

Mr Ed, do you know what’s happened to Charles?….
    I always thought it had ability but don’t see the name anywhere?

Hi Pieta
      Last run was unplaced in Jet Master Stakes on 22 Feb
      Only a 4yo
      Will try find out
      Cheers

3. Pieta Louw. says:

Dankie Meneer.

4. Sarah says:

Hi Pieta Charles has been unwell & being rested. He will be back we hope..

Thanks Sarah

5. Pieta Louw. says:

Thank you Sarah and Mr Ed for the update ….hoping for all of the best for him.👍👍

6. Phoelin Vadivelu says:

Vardy!!!!!!!!!

7. Phoelin Vadivelu says:

Vardy mouth was open and looked very uncomfortable Hopefully Adam fixes that before his next run

8. Ian Trimmel says:

They all need to start running now to beat Rainbow Bridge

9. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…
    Can’t wait to set the record straight in the July…The Garden Province will be a absolute cracker as well (JHB To Rule Both Events)…Cecil i couldn’t help laughing at one of your posts where you said Hawwaam beat a moderate bunch 🤣 so indirectly what you are saying is that Rainbow Bridge,, Do it Again and Bunker Hunt are mediocre 😂 what was the funniest was reading William Milkovitch comment saying that Clouds Unfold is the best horse in the country 🤣🤣🤣 I wonder if William noticed on the same day Clouds Unfold ran a poor 5th that the 3rd race maiden winner Fiftyshadesdarker clocked a time of 61.65 carrying 60kg… Clouds Unfolds time was 61.50 and carried 58.50Kg,,William surely if Fiftyshadesdarker carried 58.50Kg her time would have been faster than Clouds Unfold correct ? but in all honesty let’s compare apples with apples Lol…as for Vardy running a weak 3rd I thought,,i personally thought it was a poor effort especially knowing how the Cape town guy’s were raving about their new star,,do we put a line through his run because he was not tuned up and was also fighting for 200m hundred metres or so,,does he deserve another chance to redeem himself ? why not…Anyway before signing off Big Congrats must go to owner/breeder MOD and Trainer Paul Peter for winning the Triple Tiara with their beautiful filly Summer Pudding a unbelievable training feat,,well done Mr Paul Peter.. I would also like to congratulate Fabian Habib for saddling his 1st Grade 1 winner with Out Of His League,, I’m very happy for you my Cuz your love,, passion and dedication for the game has finally paid off..It will be silly of me not to mention Sir MDK for winning the Horse Chestnut with the People’s/Frankie’s Champion Hawwaam,, well done Sir Mike De Kock,,one couldn’t be more happier for MOD being the Breeders of Hawwaam and also the runner-up Queen Supreme whom MOD owns…Cheers and God Bless

10. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey….
    Mr Ed looking at the July field is it fair to say that Hawwaam is the only horse to have won in all 3 Provinces ?

What about his stablemate Soqrat, Frankie?

He has also won at Turffontein, Vaal, Hollywoodbets Greyville and Kenilworth

11. Jay August says:

The three-year-old’s are a complete mystery this year but Halfway to Heaven is aiming to lob a curve ball Frankie’s way by producing the July winner in the form of Golden Ducat.

If all three her offspring start will she be the first mare to have three starters in the the same July? What odds that?

12. Ace says:

Thought It’s My Turn retired

Was injured and rested, Ace
      Plse add your surname
      Many thanks

Morning Frankie, nice post 👍 the CBD oil here in KZN is very inconsistent 😅 Thanks to Hawwaam and Summer Pudding, my bankers on the day, I won a little for a change. Believe it, I wasn’t surprised with the Fabian horse upset, can kick myself for not winning the QT as well. Next time ✔️

Thing is, most posters on this site love racing, a little provincial banter is good. The serious stuff I read, but don’t comment. The lockdown caused me to get into heavyweight weight division, but I will shake it off again. We don’t have to like the same trainers, jocks and horses to have fun, debate, or to disagree.

I really enjoy this site, read all and ‘met’ some cool guys.
    With time it will normalise again, some will go back to darts, fishing, scrapbooking etc 😅 The real racing guys will come back

Frankie, my wish is that all horses entered for The July is allowed to travel (by then). I don’t want DIA to make history without the Gauteng horses in the line up 😃

Have a Good Day. Be safe

14. waynefouche says:

I may end up with egg on my face but I am brassing Vardy for the July. Think he needs a long straight as he comes from a long way off.

15. Oscar says:

Hi Ed or Frankie I wish one of you could please throw some light on the situation as far as Hawwaam running in the July is concerned.
    So far the trainer is also giving mixed signals as to Hawwaam’s participation in the July.
    So far I have taken a few antepost bets on Hawwaam to win the July.
    I also invested a sizeable amount on Hawwaam to win the July.
    Because of the trainers doubts I actually halved my bets.
    Is there anyway that we can know whether he will run in the July or not.
    At the moment we are in a catch twenty two situation.
    By the time the real information filters through we will not get a price at all.
    Ed another burning issue is tax of 33 percent on abtepost doubles if the same horse is involved.
    I was supposed to play Hawwaam to win on Saturday and Hawwaam to win the July.
    I was told that 33 percent will be deducted if my bet won .
    Surely this doesn’t make sense at all.
    Because if Hawwaam lost he could have drifted in the July betting.
    I remember those days many punters used to take the antepost doubles on the same horse example Bush Telegraph to win the Daily News 2000 and Bush Telegraph to win the July. Surely the punters were not murdered by a 33 ,percent deduction.
    It would be most appreciated if you could address my concern.
    Thankyou

Hi Oscar

Your question regarding the same horse ante-post 33% tax refers:-

This is a variation of a related bet.

In tennis, you can’t take a double on a player to win the semi-final and the final, because the player has a price to win the final which includes the semi-final already. You can back him individually, but you cannot lock in the final price through a double, the mathematics prohibit it.

What some bookmakers have done in horseracing, is take off a third of the final odds of the same horse (related) double, in order to offer that bet to enthusiastic punters. It’s not very scientific, but it’s built on the same reason the betting is closed for the future race while a qualifying race takes place, because you are informed by the result of that race. You can see the difference between that and an ordinary double played on different horses.

Ante post double have always been subjected to a deduction.

What you have seen now is the transparency of the bet. In the past the bookmakers consulted a ‘chart’ where the same horse doubles were worked out for them!
      It all boils down to simple maths.

Hawwaam was 1/1 on Sat and 9/2 for the July. A full-multiplied odds bet would have been 10/1.
      But bookies took off 33%, so the offer would be 6.7/1.

This would mean that the bookies were offering 1/1 plus 28/10 for the July (2 x 3.8 = 7.6 less 1 = 6.6/1)

Hawwaam won impressively and his odds for the July are now 5/2. (1/1 and 5/2 would give a double of 6/1)

If Hawwaam lost, he would have drifted and the ticket would have been in the dustbin!

PS – Oscar would you mind kindly amending your name to include surname

16. Vincent Prince says:

Golden Ducat a good each way bet
    Do it Again, Got the Greenlight + Rainbow Bridge

17. PL.NEL says:

Wayne although I side with your view on Vardy it is my view to ignore his last 2 runs for various reasons. This however then gives us no indication of his true ability past a mile or Greyville. My egg is Soqrat, DIA and Tierra DF have no chance of winning, then Hawaam will most probably not race,,, this only leaves 1 top ranked contestant and that is your bet of last year RBridge. Between his temperament and age RB might have a sibling quarrel with Golden Ducat which had a nice introduction to Greyville and should be the wiser and trimmer for the next 2 grade ones.

18. Manny Da Silva says:

Would be nice to see the owner’s info too, like it was in the past

Manny, don’t recall the owners info ever reflecting on the original entries list

19. Philippus Bosman says:

I deposited/transferred money from my bank account to my Phumelela telebet account yesterday for immediate payment and to my surprise I could not place one bet as the money did not reflect in my account. I called them and all they could say was that there is I big backlog that they experience.
    Would appreciate your comment

Philippus, they did announce early that there was an issue with Standard Bank eft payments.
      We advised enquirers to use the PayU Option – sign in to Telebet and find the PayU option – all you need is a bank account and a mobile phone

20. Jay August says:

Mr Ed, can you enquire who comprises the July panel this year and exactly how they will narrow the field down to 14 runners.

I can imagine that with fewer allowable starters than normal, this year could become something of a bun fight in deciding which horses get eliminated.

It would be interesting to know exactly what criteria will be used to decide which horses are likely to be included and which not.

Will ask, Jay

21. hilton witz says:

Mr editor at the same time please ask how eliminations for ALL RACES are done as i have been told that draws up the straight and around the turn come into play ….You will need a degree to work it all out of which i dont have ..solid gold gets a run on saturday in the merchants up the straight at pmb and the 4 reserve runners have merit ratings of 107 to 119 and solid golds rating is 99…this topic of eliminations deserves a thread all on its own as some of the factors used especially draws should be on the comedy channel on 122 …Hopefully you follow up thanks

Hi Hilton
      We are busy with a story about the Post Merchants final field
      We wrote to the powers last evening to clarify the parameters as we have some dissatisfied owners and trainers asking questions.
      Thanks

22. Ernie Rabe says:

Hawwaam is a very good horse, but not in the same class as Do It Again, Rainbow Bridge, Legal Eagle, My World and not to forget Pocket Power.