Home » Racing & Sport » Owner Calls For Attitude Change By NHRA

Owner Calls For Attitude Change By NHRA

Why the threatening approach?

A perceived threatening attitude by the National Horseracing Authority in regard to the early payment for the renewal of racing colours has seen a longstanding owner call on the racing regulator to change their aggressive approach to people who effectively pay their salaries.

Leonard Bloch writes in the Sporting Post Mailbag that he is a racehorse owner and registered colour holder.

On Tuesday 2 June 2020, I received an email from the NHRA regarding  the renewal of my racing colours.

The racing season runs from 1 August to 31 July annually.

One would think that if one has paid for the season, the renewal payment of R1580 would be due and payable by 31 July – that day being the season end.

The NHRA deem it necessary to threaten colour holders that if renewal and payment for the new season is not made by 15 June of the current racing season, a surcharge of R150 will be levied.

I can understand their reasoning of a surcharge of R300 being levied if renewal takes place after 31 July of the current racing season.

But why the threat of R150 surcharge if not paid ,as stated, by 15 June of the current season?

I have taken this issue up with the NHRA in previous years but have never had a satisfactory answer as to their reasoning around the surcharge threat.

It is time in my opinion for all colour holders to stand up to the NHRA and put an end to their threats. The NHRA must surely realise that without owners and colour holders,there is no racing.

As a matter of interest, my account received today (2 June)  has been paid today – that is the way I do business.

EdMr Bloch’s letter was mailed to the NHRA on Tuesday. No response has been received at time of publishing.

10 comments on “Owner Calls For Attitude Change By NHRA

Dear Mr Editor. This post will attract negative comments

Here is my take. Racing restarted 01 Jun and Mr Bloch, all owners ? get emails a day later.

When the going was ‘real bad’ we heard on this forum we’re all in this together….

I say this again, I cannot believe Govt and Racing aren’t big buddies, they so much alike.

When Oom Cyril spoke in the beginning, re Lockdown, we were all in this together and everyone will be assisted. LoL ,,, sounds familiar, we’re all in this !

Nope, k#k attitude and arrogance does not change overnight …. In Afr

‘ Saam werk ‘ almal Wil werk en party is net saam. LoL

Have a Good Day all.

Hello Rian, Brendon, Pops and Pieta

Hello Cecil
      Klink soos ‘maatjies willie saamwerk nie…”

2. paul alexander says:

I also find this strange. Please let us know what they say. In my experience owners are treated terribly in this game, the whole value proposition to owners needs a rethink!

Net so Mnr Ed 😅

Look fwd to some nice SP articles for Fri, Sat and Sun meetings. Some big guns in action – Summer Pudding, Soqrat, Shango …..✔️

Pools will be bigger as well 🤞🏻

4. Leonard Bloch says:

Cecil,
    per my letter,you seem to have missed the very essence of what my complaint is.
    I can assure you that renewal e mails are are sent out EVERY YEAR in June.
    Please reread my letter,things might become clearer to you.
    As to my letter attracting negative comments,I fail to see how any person could find anything negative to write about.

5. Doug Band says:

I was also surprised at the hostile 2 week notice approach .
    The NHRA need to rethink their entire approach and become user friendly They also need to take the trivial hassles away by introducing electronic registrations ,authorities to act etc .
    Nobody can now be in racing for the diminished stakes rewards so it is crucial to make the ownership experience as pain free and pleasurable as possible .

6. Jess K(yriacou) says:

Just as in many industries where concessions were granted by landlords, suppliers, etc, the NHA should either defer payment by two months (for the two months owners lost doing lockdown, albeit that it is for 20/21) or decrease the renewal of colours amount from R1580.00 to R1300.00 (rounded off) to compensate owners for the time they were unable to run their horses during the level 4 and 5 lockdown.

7. g. naicker says:

Mr bloch is absolutely spot on. y should any one pay so early considering the dates known as the horseracing season. 1 august to 31 july.
    this is common practice with most things. car licence. fishing licence, tv licence. let’s call it common law practice. but this is the problem we need to fix in racing. we need to go back to basics.fix small things bigger things fall in to place.

Leonard, oh my, No No. I meant negative comments towards the NHA and rightly so. Not your letter.

This game needs more people like yourself that speak up.

I love racing, but most definitely not the bunch that’s trying to run it.

In closing, Happy you renewed your colours, after all there is no racing without owners 👍🏼

Vee Moodley’s communication style reminds me of Phumelela’s bestseller, “50 Ways to lose your lover and punter”