Home » Racing & Sport » July – The Fever Mounts

July – The Fever Mounts

We are in the home stretch

The Vodacom Durban July first declarations are due at 11h00 today and after two preferential races run this weekend, only Gauteng-based Divine Odyssey looks likely to exercise a bid to run.

Capoeira’s eyecatching victory in the Gr3 Cup Trial at Hollywoodbets Scottsville on Saturday was impressive, but he is not in the entries and looks unlikely to be supplemented when final entries close at 11h00 on Tuesday. The 2200m could be a bridge too far for the son of Oratorio.

Nexus, who ran a flying second in the Cup Trial, may take his chances – but he will need a few to fall by the wayside to gain a berth.

Divine Odyssey – looks to have done enough (Pic – JC Photos)

But it is another son of the big Avontuur sire who put up his hand in style. Divine Odyssey won Sunday’s Gr3 Jubilee Handicap and it looks to be all systems go.

Trainer Janse van Vuuren told Tabnews: “Last year he got in at the bottom of the weights at his rating but this year the top weight is a lot higher rated so he’s going to be a bit under sufferance. But you know what, the horse is coming to the end of his career and we’ve got nothing to lose.

“I know he was not in the top 20 yet, we were in the next five. He’ll probably get a point or two penalty today, hopefully there are a few scratchings and we can get in. He is a horse who comes well this time of the year.

The weights will be published on Tuesday.

Final Declarations -close 11h00 Monday, 13 July

Final Field and Draw – 14 July

Final Field: Subject to NHRA approval, twenty horses will be carded for this event (18 Horses + 2 Reserves).

10 comments on “July – The Fever Mounts

1. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…any idea when Computaform will be on shelves again ? You and Huisgenoot magazines are in full swing…wake up or get out

Frankie, they have undertaken to revert top us in regard to print plans
      See your mail

2. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…There are many printing companies that will gladly take over the printing of Computaform with immediate effect

3. John Mynhardt says:

Nexus, who ran a flying second in the Cup Trial, may take his chances – but he will need a few to fall by the wayside to gain a berth… But then they withdraw this horse but keep both horses who finished behind him in the July ? Why would they do that ? Got to say I think it was the wrong move by the stable.

4. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…
    To say Divine Odessy is coming to the end of his career i think it’s a bit of a slap in the face,,winning the Jubilee has always been a race that would see many horses run good races in the July and even win…make no mistake that he’s definitely in his place when competing against the more serious racehorses around,, but one never knows with a postage stamp weight on his back and a bit of luck in running he could run a half decent race just like his lovely run last year…I was always under the impression that winning the Jubilee that the winner would normally qualify automatically for the July…The Jubilee has seen the likes of Classic Flag,,Superior Quality and even Heavy Metal who i think ran unplaced in the Jubilee in 2014 or 2015 come out and win the July if i’m not mistaken…I think it’s a unbelievable feeling just to have a runner in the race despite of his chances of winning the race,,he was far from disgraced when running in last year’s race and was one of the fastest finishers in the race….I’ll certainly add him into one my kamakazi P6’s,,I’ve always been a huge fan of bottom weights in the July despite the horses form and more so if I personally feel that they are well in at the weights there’s no ways I’ll be leaving them out…

5. Dev Govender says:

I could not post on the actual article itself so I just want to use this column to say farewell and thank you to a truly great miler in Legal Eagle, not forgetting that he was good enough to notch up grade 1 wins at 2000m and 2450m as well. Cherry on the top being that incredible Green Point win over Do It Again, Rainbow Bridge and co. Remarkably, he never seemed to generate much hype even at his peak, and I sometimes wonder that maybe we don’t fully appreciate some of these champions even after they’ve proven themselves time after time.

I’m glad that he is retiring as I would not have wanted to see him running below his formidable best due purely to age finally taking its toll.

Its been a tremendous training feat by Sean Tarry to keep him competitive at the highest level for so many seasons and it’s worth highlighting that, win or lose, there were no excuses. He just took on the strongest around and always ran his heart out.

Hey Frankie, I think he will get in. Oh my what a July Race card it’s going to be. Where were the days that bottom weights were from nrs 8 or so down to 20. Now Divine Odyssey could be nr 1 😂 LoL If, so he might even get backed to tote favorite on the day, as the new system aims to please and attract new players and celebs. Right ?

7. Gavin bechan says:

I wrote a mail to the owners a week ago to retire legal.. Thanks to the editor for sending it to the owners. Maybe the editor should publish my mail..

Thanks Gavin – all’s well that ends well! The champion enjoying a five star retirement

You wrote:
      As a racing fan I am truly disturbed to see our champ Legal Eagle running in Fairview. This horse has done everything . surely he deserves a glorious retirement instead of running in a pinnacle plate for 35 k .. what more does he need to prove . I feel the owners are selfish for keeping legal in training .. please would someone show this horse the respect he deserves and retire him.. what if while running in this lowly race he injures himself . I implore the owners to reconsider racing him and retire him . it will break mY heart to see our champ get hurt while racing .. he is 8 for heavens sake .. please could you pass my mail to the owners of Legal Eagle ..come on Braam do the right thing by legal… the champ has given us so much pleasure watching him race .. Hopefully this mail can be sent the owners.

8. Francois van Ghent says:

Very sad because SUMMER PUDDING will not be running in the VDJ…… so so sad….