Home » Racing & Sport » Hewitson Off July Ride

Hewitson Off July Ride

Muzi Yeni gets the Soma green light

Joey Soma Racing has announced that due to unforeseen circumstances on Drakenstein-sponsored jockey Lyle Hewitson’s side, he will not be able to honour his riding engagement on Got The Greenlight in the Vodacom Durban July on 25 July.

Lyle was originally secured to ride the Soma Champion in the Vodacom Durban July when still riding in Japan in April 2020.

Muzi has got the green light (Pic – Candiese Lenferna)

The Soma stable report that all is not lost though as they have their old friend Muzi Yeni aboard Got The Greenlight.

“We hope that this doesn’t have major ramifications on the betting, but we felt that it was best to let the punters know the situation,” said a Soma Racing spokesman in a media release published early on Friday.

44 comments on “Hewitson Off July Ride

1. Daniel Lopes says:

ILL BE BACK LATER TO READ THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS ON THIS. LOL! THIS YEAR IS VERY INTRESTING IN THE HORSE RACING NEWS BUT WILL THE RACE BE INTRESTING AS WELL. WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.

2. Pranill Bookhan says:

A worthy replacement…

3. Gavin says:

Muzi is top clas

4. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Jay and Company might think I’m smoking that unbelievable grass from Durban when I mention that Got The Green Light is the best handicapped horse in the race with the system i do my Merit Ratings…My only slight concern is the 2200m… however if he pulls a draw and there’s no traffic problems before turning for home they must be very very very careful he’s accelerating ability to quicken is his power point it’s electric *Hello Hello Helllo Greyville* Time to Get even Muzi,, if you felt you were hard done by picking up time…my opinion justice was served,, yes you were certainly not happy with outcome,, so maybe this could be your equalizer brother I’ll certainly be routing for Got The Green Light,,it will certainly be the icing on the cake for my Brother Joe Soma… wow wow wow are we in for a absolute cracker in the Vodacom July,, there’s no room for error and lady luck plays a big part in this year’s July for at least 5 horse’s… GL to all concerned

5. Marshin Chettiar says:

Is there any possibility of know the actual reason? Did lyle change his mind to ride shango instead, or did he feel a sense of obligation/loyalty to ride for tarry? Or any other possible reason.

6. derek bailey says:

Talking from my pocket, this is unfair to punters who have taken bets into and onto GTGL for the July.
    I took my bets because Lyle was riding. Why hasn’t the connections and Joe Soma kept him to his contract? It looks like punters have come last again.

7. Colin Govender says:

Why hasn’t the National Horse Racing Association stepped in and held an inquiry?

Oh my… Well done Muzi, you pulled him off the right Horse 😂. LoL

Mr Soma, good call. Top local Jock our man Muzi 👍🏼

9. Jay August says:

That’s a good one Frankie – the smoking part. You back your opinions up with facts and enthusiasm, the latter in an entertaining way.

I have always liked Got The Greenlight and still do. Not sure that at current odds he offers the value I seek though. Picking winners and determining value are often at opposite ends of the betting debate.

If the pace is as sedate as it has been the last two years I cannot see him being undone entirely by stamina.

As things stand today he is my highest rated three-year-old this season and unless one of the other three-year-olds’ turns in a spectacular performance in the July, that wont change.

Good luck to Joey and Muzi!

10. donald bradshaw says:

The reason for this change in rider must be declared to the customers of horse racing without delay ?

Having said that I regard Muzi for Lyle as being like for like and the supporters of this horse will get good value in respect of the ride !

11. Jc lee ching says:

How good is the current three year old crop?

12. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Mr Ed what happened to the article YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE ? You mean to say that 1 knocked out William Milkovitch cold in round 1….Never seen a article vanish so quick 😂….Colin Governder you are right but knowing what a gentleman Mr Joe Soma is,, he’ll let it slide…with no disrespect to Lyle,, I think Muzi has a edge when it comes to experience concerning July’s and the Greyville course,, if anything i think it’s a half a length to 1 length advantage having Muzi on

Hi Frankie
      The donuts were tasteless and stale 🙂

There were objections to it and we suspended it.
      The gist of the Milkovitch letter appears to have been missed
      We live in challenging times for the industry and the ‘bad for racing’ argument has to be considered.

At least you are good for the game, Frankie!

Objection overruled. Please put that story back, delete the donuts pic, replace with lemons and limes

‘ Die waarheid maak seer ‘

The judges scorecards are in
    William M 10
    Others -1

HWBets Scottsville t-m, seems we escaped the Cold Front, but not Eishkom’s game called – Rond f*k 😂

Have a Good Day. Albert Falls Greetings. Hello Rian

14. Rod Mattheyse says:

How is it possible that Williams letter can be bad for racing?

There is plenty of sensitivity, Rod!

The reference to individuals has been removed by the writer

15. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Jay Jay we Lebanese Boys don’t sleep under the bed knowing Got The Green Light is a definite runner for the July ages ago,, was it not the right thing to eat as much 50/1 as possible knowing closer to time he’ll shorten way down ? Jay you good at what do,,but I’m great at what i do and that’s finding winners and more importantly finding value to cream it… I agree Mr Ed we need racing back in a strong way,, we have the right people in place now,, and with their help we should all be putting our weight behind racing and start supporting our national totes…Mr Ed what is looking very tasty,, is my July book,, my least average at this stage going into the July is Bunker Hunt at 230/1 and my highest is obviously Got The Green Light at around 570/1….maybe it’s time to start trading…we are all good to go the green light is flashing

16. MichaelMGJ says:

I have to agree with Mr Frankie that the Cake article disappeared hyper quickly. There was nothing offensive in the article, except of course the naming of high profile trainers.

The gist of the letter was about the tote online or store experience vs a bookmaker online experience. And why punters have switched to Open bets instead of playing the tote pools. Essentially it was about service to the customer (whom most people in racing don’t know is the punter!).

When the tote ups its game, improves the service and technology, attracts and retains its customers and treats the punter with respect, then punters will glady return to the tote pools and give up the Open bets!

17. Jay August says:

Frankie, I would be intrigued to see the other side of the book on those bets at 570/1 and 230/1.

You are too easily judging my book by its cover.

18. Jay August says:

JC, this three-year-old crop does not appear at all that bad given the circumstances of the last 6 months.

The first 3 in the Cape Guineas have had one further race between them; GtG started his campaign very late while Golden Ducat and Katak look like slower developers. Shango also missed the Gauteng Guineas with a temperature, and therefore may not have been at his best in the Classic. Summer Pudding while not winning by large margins has been super consistent.

Last season we had a standout crop with Hawwaam dominating the headlines, but any one of One World, Vardy, Soqrat or Twist of Fate would have been close to champion class in a normal season. The fillies threw up Celtic Sea, Run Fox Run and Clouds Unfold.

The next 6 months – to Met day 2021 – will show just how good this lot are. It may well be the case that they have not been able to showcase their talents due to the interruptions and other oddities this season has thrown up.

Too early to judge them just yet therefore. If none hit the board in the July that would be potential negative.

19. Kobus says:

Boys i backed the last 5 jully winners in a row..and going for Vardy use it dont use it 18/1 antepost what a steal

20. Sanjay Kandhai says:

I think punters who have backed GTG should be refunded if they want to. It’s the right thing to do.

21. Sanjay says:

Guys this could a blessing in disguise to have Muzi on, remember Muzi was robbed of the jockeys championship few seasons ago,.

Hi Sanjay
      Thanks for adding your surname

Dankie Kobus. 6 not out then ?

I was big on DIA, early bet on at 25/2 but doubt set in lately. Vardy finished like a train last weekend, 2 KZN runs, stamina doubts or not, winner or 2nd

The best outsider for my QT is Shango, doesn’t matter the Jockey. When Jay August mentioned him as a very good value bet, I decided to rather box my QT, than have him for 3rd and 4th…

Easy game 🤓 oh yes, PA players you are safe with RB

23. Glenn Smith says:

What J. SOMA, L.HEWITSON & S.TARRY have done is against RULES 21.7 & 21.12 of the JOCKEY CLUB. Punters are not being protected. This is so wrong on so many levels. Who must I complain to when the JOCKEY CLUB disregards the RULES.

Hi Glenn
      Quoting your references – this race only declares Monday – yes, LH was declared – we are trying to get a comment
      21.7 No JOCKEY shall declare himself available to ride or engage himself to ride or accept an engagement to ride at different RACE COURSES on the same day unless practicable so to do, nor to ride more than one HORSE in a RACE. Should a RIDER be engaged to ride two HORSES in the same RACE and the SB are unable to determine which engagement was entered into first, the SB may in its discretion prohibit the RIDER from fulfilling either engagement.
      21.12 No PERSON shall declare or engage a JOCKEY to ride more than one HORSE in a RACE nor engage more than one JOCKEY to ride a particular HORSE in a RACE

24. Jules says:

I love calling him home out of all the jockeys
    GO MUZI GO MUZI at the last 100….

25. Vincent Prince says:

VD July – Belgarion, Do It Again, GottheGreenlight, Rainbow Bridge
    Best outsiders: Golden Ducat + Tierra Del Fuego

Vincent, that’s bad news for me as my 1st choice is Bunker Hunt.

27. Pranill Bookhan says:

.Lyle was booked to ride in April… Confirmed ride over a week ago… Now all of a sudden “Unforseen Circumstances ” appear… Where is TRANSPARENCY???

28. Paul says:

And Pierre Striker Strydom bows out with the VDJ, Go Striker!!!

29. Garrie Gahlyia says:

I heard about Lyle Hewitson not riding the horse from a friend who reads your website. I dont play the horses often. I put a lot of money on the horse to win the Durban July. I did this after hearing from a friend in the know and very connected, that with Lyle Hewitson riding the horse, it could not lose. I am sure that Muzi Yeni is a good jockey but it feels like I have been crooked and that I have lost my money without the horse running. I work hard for my money. Is this allowed to happen.

Garrie, we have spoken to Joey Soma and will publish his response shortly
      Ante-post betting carries these kind of risks
      They were within their rights

30. Tony Pillay says:

This is not fair although Muzi a good Joc… We back GTGL because Lyle was riding.. All the best Muzi.. Welcome to racing

31. Garrie Gahlyia says:

Dear Sir
    I am interested to find out why they feel they acted within their rights. Do they not have any honor or feelings for bettors. Joe Soma told everyone that he had secured Lyle Hewitson for the Durban July. I was referred to the youtube show of Neil Andrew’s and Nico Kritsiotis. I watched it. There is a contract between Joe Soma and Lyle Hewitson that Lyle will ride the horse. How can they say that Lyle is off the horse as a result of circumstances beyond their control. They can insist he rides the horse because of the contract. I placed my bets on the basis of this contract. If Lyle does not ride the horse in the July and I lose my money, I will take them on.

It’s within the rules Garrie
      Declarations are only at 11h00 Monday
      Joey explained his reasoning for acceding to Lyle’s request

Muzi Yeni must not be seen as a ‘capable replacement’
    He is a top jock, finish and klaar. He will ride to the same instructions by Mr Soma, and if the horse is good enough on the day, he will win on him

Mr Soma is correct in not forcing LH to ride his horse.

Mr Ed, looks like we’ll have uninterrupted racing today. August winds have arrived, seems forecast rain is blown away for now

Have a Good day all 👍🏼

That’s great news Cecil!
      Thanks

33. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…
    Garrie Gyhlyia i suggest you 1st get your ducks in a dead straight row and then start throwing your toys out the cot,, your threats trust me don’t scare Mr Joe Soma…Maybe Mr Ed should get hold of Lyle Hewitson and Sean Tarry to find out what actually lead Lyle to jump ship…it will certainly help to stop the barking…Why should Joe Soma be gettiing the hammering from the public/punter ? the man done absolutely nothing wrong..BTW Garrie do who think that Mr Joe Soma should follow suit if he doesn’t win the July,,to be taking them on as well 🤣🤣🤣

34. Martin le Roux says:

So Lyle is off and Muzi is on. Not a train smash as some are trying to make it. Muzi has a excellent record in top races. Win or lose the jockey wont be the problem. To suggest that because of the switch this racing certainty according to some has suddenly no chance is ridiculous. Besides nobody has mentioned the winner. SOQRAT.

35. david mollett says:

If Lyle had the choice of Sean Tarry’s runners, I would imagine it might have been a tough choice between Shango and Tierra Del Fuego. The latter ran third behind Hawwaam and Soqrat at Turffontein and is 4 kg better off with Mike De Kock’s runner in July. If I was Gavin L I’d be quite happy with my ride on a horse I make the best outsider.

36. Jay August says:

David (M), with regards to Tierra Del Fuego, when last did the winner of the July not win a recognised feature or graded race before winning the July.

I have not checked but am struggling to think of one. Perhaps C’est Si Bon in 1954 was the last?

37. Jay August says:

David (M), just remembered that Eyeofthetiger had not won a feature before the July win in 2006.