Home » Racing & Sport » Sun Sets On Dippin’ Blu

Sun Sets On Dippin’ Blu

Hedley hands keys back

Hedley McGrath joined Phumelela GM Luciano Passerini on a  final walkabout of the immaculate and ghostly silent Dippin’ Blu barns at Fairview earlier today and handed over the keys in a moment that he labelled ‘extremely emotional’.

The leading owner told the Sporting Post that his partner Yvette Bremner had not returned to the stables and would not be returning.

He was busy rounding up the six stable cats this morning when we spoke to him.

“Yvette has been traumatised to the point of breaking and she didn’t need further pain. This was her life. Her pride. Her joy. It’s the end of an era in our lives and in the broader SA racing landscape. To all the detractors, and the so-called animal lovers out there, I say farewell.”

Phumelela issued a statement on Monday that they would not be drawn into a media debate on the tragic event. Time will judge the actions, or lack of it, on the part of the racing authorities.

18 comments on “Sun Sets On Dippin’ Blu

1. Dylan says:

Sad moment for racing. Having known Hedley and Yvette for many years, this is a tragic loss to South Africa and Racing but I’m sure you’ll see the bumble bee colors pop up wherever they decide to go. Wishing them both all the best and may they stay safe and healthy. There is so much out there to go and explore and so much racing world wide to enjoy without the political dramas here and worst of all animal cruelty and savagery we saw last week.

90% of my own family have immigrated and have never been happier…

2. Deborah Ann Knoesen says:

Well, what a sad day for the sport of kings. This sport used to be revered and enjoyed by many through the years and to be brought to this low point in the history of the sport, is appalling and a great disappointment.

3. Debby Vogt says:

The Silence is Deafening… Phumelela will not be drawn into a Media Debate ? This is UNACCEPTABLE but Not SURPRISING….

4. Glynis van der Merwe says:

I agree. Phumelela as most people are too scaired open their mouths in case of stepping on toes, No wonder they’re in the mess they are. But then I suppose the whole country’s in a mess! Yvete, I wish you all the best. I hope you find a place that appreciates you.

5. Anand Chetty says:

That’s Phumelela for you. Yes, not surprising AT ALL

6. Julie Burdis says:

I dont know the people involved but I wish them all the very best, from a fellow horse rider and lover of the Thoroughbred. Take time to heal over this travesty. What a disgusting and unacceptable act of brutality. We can only wish for the harsher penalty on the people responsible.

7. Pillai Vernon says:

Evette may the good lord have his mighty hands over you, indeed a sad day for racing, has for phumelela yet again they got their tales behind there legs an absolute disgrace for racing.

8. jc lee ching says:

AND SILENCE WAS THE STERN REPLY

9. Gary Turf says:

Very sad day indeed….I had a horse with Yvette in 2002 and even from early days in her training career,she was highly professional and a great trainer.
    Ramsden,now Yvette.We cannot afford to carry on losing people of this calibre.Racing needs to wake up and soon

10. Fyndraai(Christian Bester) says:

Yes, in the words of Sir Elton, it’s sad,so sad it’s a sad,sad situation and its getting more and more absurd. Yes,and unfortunately we can’t talk it over and sorry seems to be the hardest word. My heart goes out to Hedley and Yvette who will have to survive in a world without the sport which we previously so fondly referred to as the “Sport of Kings”.

11. Geoff Clark says:

Good luck to you Yvette Bremner. You are far too good a trainer to be lost to this great game. Do not give up. The world awaits you.

12. Patrick says:

Yvette good trainer ,I hope she relocate to another province.

Patrick Mahlaba

13. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Patrick I love your compassion towards Mrs Bremner,, but honestly moving to another province I doubt that will happen,,had you said another country I would have given you a perfect 10…Mrs Bremner deserves way better my brother,,the poor lady has giving her life her heart her soul to racing along with Mr McGrath….I can’t even start to imagine what they are going through or thinking about during this time…I can only salute you guy’s for the big part you have played in the industry and wish you a quick and safe recovery and don’t forget the world is your oyster…God Bless Guy’s

14. G A McDonald says:

This is sure to light the touchpaper.
    We have heard first hand from the racing stable.We have heard from owners.We have heard from the regulator.We have heard from the operator.
    Are there any others involved in this sorry story who we have not heard from? Their side of the story.
    If we do not know all the facts this could happen again,whereas if we know everything about this we may be able to prevent a repeat.
    Lets hear from the grooms or are we happy to only take the bosses version.
    Nico, take that flight to PE.

15. Asgar Essack says:

Good comment Frankie ,I share your
    Views 100 percent.

16. bert says:

Yvete im sure cape town will welcome u with open arms.u are a credit to horse racing

Bert Dobrin