Home » Racing & Sport » Veteran Media Man Calls It A Day

Veteran Media Man Calls It A Day

53 years of dedicated service to racing

Veteran journalist Michael Clower has decided to retire after more than half a century reporting on racing in Kenya, Ireland and South Africa.

He told the Sporting Post: “I was delighted when Kenilworth Racing and their PR consultant Kirsti Lyall invited me to return to write reports and features. When Independent Newspapers decided early in the lockdowns that they were no longer prepared to devote much space to racing I thought it was all over.

“However the last two Saturdays have rammed home to me that at the age of 76 neither my eyes nor my reactions are good enough to cope with the Cape Town traffic at the weekend, let alone on a Wednesday when half the drivers seem to have been taking lessons from Lewis Hamilton.

“I can’t complain. For 53 years I have been paid for doing something that I enjoyed so much I would happily have done it for nothing – and not many people are that lucky in life.

“I would like to take this final opportunity to thank all in racing who have helped me and have put up so patiently with my endless questions (eg Richard Fourie: “You always ask me that!’) – and, perhaps even more importantly, all those who have read my words over the years. If they have enjoyed them even half as much as I have enjoyed writing them it will all have been wonderfully worthwhile.”

Ed – we wish Michael a peaceful and relaxing retirement. His inciteful and to the point contributions will be missed!

8 comments on “Veteran Media Man Calls It A Day

1. Stan Elley says:

Sorry to see you go Michael! Chatting to you on Saturday I certainly did not see this coming. Wishing you a healthy and happy retirement. You certainly deserve it!!
    Stan Elley.

2. Andrew Harrison says:

You were the best Michael. Your contributions to Independent and Parade were simply outstanding and much appreciated. All the best in your retirement and if you ever up KZN way again we can wet a line together. Andrew Harrison

3. Glen Hatt says:

All the best Michael!!

4. Ramesh Bhikraj says:

Sorry to hear about your retirement from racing publication, will be missed. Worry not for I have also noticed that the daily news publication with reg3to racing was given a boot, result being printed so small that the vist to the optician to have the eyes tested will have to be done monthly. Better still to stop subscribing, which I will definitely do. Take care.

5. Mervyn Padayachie says:

Wishing you a healthy and happy retirement .Thank you for the support.
    Padayachie family.

6. Jason Dedekind says:

Mr Clower … As someone who admires and respects you, I must also emphasise it was a pleasure to have you on my team. You are a great human being and will always be a stalwart amongst your peers. Thank you for all you have done for SA racing. #enjoyyourtimeoff #thankyou

7. david mollett says:

Michael can be described as a “rock solid” journo who was an asset to his profession over his half century in the game.
    He would often “scoop” us other mortals and I believe this is because he had good contacts (vital for journos) in the sport and in the upper echelon of it.
    Perhaps his writing doesn’t have the flair of a Charl Pretorius, but his copy was always perfect English so he must have gone to one of the best schools.
    Personally, I’m five years behind Michael on 48 (13 with Rand Daily Mail and 35 with Business Day) and no retirement plans.
    Provided the virus doesn’t get me, there’ll be a helluva party in 2022!
    Best Wishes, Michael, on your retirement.

8. Ada says:

It was always a joy and privilege to read your articles Michael, your retirement from the profession will leave a huge void. All the best for the future, you will be missed.