Home » Racing & Sport » Chris Snaith – Started Something Big!

Chris Snaith – Started Something Big!

Cape champions prepare for Met

Racing News chatted to the highly respected and much loved horseman Chris Snaith at Snaith Racing’s  home base in Phillipi, Cape Town.

Snaith Racing celebrated their most recent Gr1 win, when Jet Dark won the L’Ormarins Queen’s Plate at Kenilworth, on 9  January.

They saddle Belgarion, Do It Again and African Night Sky in the Gr1 Cape Town Met on 30 January at Kenilworth.

6 comments on “Chris Snaith – Started Something Big!

If Mr. Chris Snaith ever asked the public for general help, I’d volunteer, for free to do labour work, paint, dig or clean at his stables.

And that, in a flash.

Chris Snaith from the late 70’s has been a father like figure in racing for me, and I don’t know him from a bar of soap.

I remember the days when he had clients like Joyce Waring, the day he won the Cape of Good Hope Nursery with Valdemar for Bravetti & Podesta.

In 1982 or 1983 I remember winning a jackpot at Milnerton when Beaufighter (Shirley Pheiffer) won the last leg, a massive R 2080 payout for R8.

Does anybody remember the grey called Idris & that giant of a horse called High Profile he trained ?

On the Monday, I went to the Admin Block @ UCT to pay off my night time Varsity fees for the year!

Stay healthy Mr. Snaith

2. Dev Govender says:

Undoubtedly one of the great horsemen we’ve seen at work in this country, and a man of few words who has let his achievements on the turf speak for themselves. It’s no surprise that Snaith Racing is such a successful operation with the foundations he has laid.

A thought on the horse he is most famously associated with, Flaming Rock – although most remembered for his spectacular July win in 1991, I’d say his greatest runs came in defeat in subsequent Julys and the Mainstay 1800 where he turned in some superb weight-carrying performances – pure class..

3. Dev Govender says:

@William, I remember Beaufighter as it coincided with the period I was first getting into racing. With no access to the Cape racecard in KZN, we would work off the Daily News and Natal Mercury racing pages. That early to mid-80s period is still my favourite era of racing overall, even though my three favourite horses belonged to the early 1990s.

High Profile is another one I remember very well, but Idris is the one I can’t place.

4. Wenzel Moodley says:

Mr Chris Snaith is a true gentleman.

Mr. Govender, I’m not surprised that you can’t place Idris. If my memory is correct, he was a solid A- Division horse and an extremely eye taking grey at that.

Lord Randolph was about the first big time runner for Mr. Snaith,1986.

He beat the superstar sprinter Sunera in the Cape Flying Championship @ Milnerton. Thereafter, Flaming Rock arrived, from the UK . His sire was Ballad Rock.

I’ve have a suspicion that Mr. Snaith trained the filly, Shepherds Moon as well for Sabine Plattner.

6. Dev Govender says:

I remember Lord Randolph very well, beat my beloved Sunera twice. I really warmed to him as he grew older – at age 7, maybe 8, he was still competing with honour against the young guns. Karl Neisius was the perfect pilot for him.

I also remember Shepherds Moon as a top 3yo filly of her year, but it goes to show how my memory is shot because I can’t recall the trainer – Snaith, Bass, maybe even Guy Rixon?