Home » Racing & Sport » Official » Jockeys – Travel Protocols Update

Jockeys – Travel Protocols Update

February - decisions need to be made

As per the NHRA’s Press Release of 12 January 2021, the only change regarding its protocols pertaining to ‘Racing Behind Closed Doors’ is that :

Riders are to be domiciled in one region of their choice for the month of February 2021 and are to relocate to this Province if so required, prior to their first engagement in February 2021.

Once a Rider has ridden in a Centre from 1 February 2021, he will be limited to ride in the Centre for the remainder of the month.

However, should there be any further relaxations to the current Adjusted Alert Level 3 by the presidency, the NHRA shall advise by mid February should the status of this domicile rule be relaxed.

  • Media release by NHRA on Friday 22 January 2021

Have Your Say

Comments Policy
The Sporting Post encourages everyone to feel free to comment in the spirit of enlightening the topic being discussed, to add opinions or correct errors. All posts are accepted on the condition that The Sporting Post can at any time alter, correct or remove comments, either partially or entirely.

All posters are required to post under their real and verified names, you can adjust your display name on your account page or to send corrections privately to the Editor. The Sporting Post will not publish comments submitted anonymously or under pseudonyms.

The views of any individuals that are published are NOT necessarily the views of The Sporting Post.

7 comments on “Jockeys – Travel Protocols Update

  1. Lazarus Narainsamy says:

    Mr. Ed.
    Please advice, how is it that a trainer can travel between provinces but jockeys cant? Am referring to Running Brave being entered for the Met, dont you think it is a case of double standards Mr. Ed? Pls take note that I am not taking issue with the horse or trainer , just that the current rules that have being put in place seems to only apply to the jockeys, doesnt seem fair…..

    1. Editor says:

      Lazarus, this has been debated previously
      The NHRA have taken a stand on jockeys – they don’t seem willing to discuss it

  2. Avril Lerena says:

    Here we go again

  3. Niran Pillay says:

    I think the issue might be pertinent to the jockey room ,where jockeys are “housed” before and after races ,and ofcourse as racing cannot possibly go ahead if one jockey tests positive ,this will result in all jockeys being quarantined hence nobody to ride horses.

  4. Donald Bradshaw says:

    Not only that Niran but it is impossible for the riders to practice social distancing when performing certain aspects of their profession such as at the start where the jockeys and handlers are in close proximity especially when loaded into the starting stalls.

    That is but one example , I assume that there must be some type of protocol for the racing silks and jockeys saddles during the course of a race meeting ?

    The functions and duties of a trainer as opposed to the jockeys are very different. Should a rider test positive and that rider has travelled to two racing jurisdictions the possibility would then exist that TWO racing centres could be faced with a locked down instead of just the one in such an instance.

    I do not hold a candle for the NHRA but believe that this particular decision is correct for the horse racing industry in general until this adjusted level 3 is hopefully down scaled !

  5. Alexandra Fox says:

    If jockeys stay put for the month of January, then where are Warren Kennedy and Ģavin Lerena since they rode at Kenilworth beginning of this month ? They have not raced since !

  6. Cecil Pienaar says:

    Good question Alexandra. I know they will be in action Met day. Looking at the in between big race day meetings with 7 or 8 horses in a race, there aren’t any rides for them ?

Leave a Comment

‹ Previous

100% For NHRA Lab

Next ›

Second Base Jumps To 112