Home » Racing & Sport » Sad Farewell To Rupert & Diana Langerman

Sad Farewell To Rupert & Diana Langerman

A man of principle

Rupert Langerman, for many years the racing editor of the Cape Times, passed away peacefully at his home in Hermanus on Friday 8 January 2021.

Over the years he provided plenty of tips, both good and bad.

He wrote with great wit and was not always beloved by all in racing as he was not afraid to take on a cause.

1987/8 – Diana and Rupert at the Horseracing Writer Of The Year Award

At the start of his racing editing career he said he had been given the choice between writing about politicians or horses and he chose four legged animals.

He was also a judge at the races.

Gold Circle’s veteran Publishing Manager Andrew Harrison expressed shock and sadness on the news that South African horseracing had lost a legend of the news ranks.

“A true gentleman and, as Recondite, he was fiercely critical of the powers that ran Cape Racing back in the day. When he retired after his whole life in the game, the industry didn’t even acknowledge him. I know he loved his wine and his dogs. I have fond memories and the greatest respect for a man of true principle. My deepest sympathies to his family,” Harrison told the Sporting Post.

A recent pic of Rupert and Diana

Mr Langerman’s retirement to Hermanus gave him the chance to take walks through Fernkloof and along the sea and read his many beloved books.

He would have turned 90 in February.

His wife of sixty years, Diana Langerman (nee Green)  passed away on Monday 11 January 2021.

They are deeply missed by their children and grandchildren.

6 comments on “Sad Farewell To Rupert & Diana Langerman

1. Mike Wanklin says:

May these two lovely people Rest In Peace. Rupert and I a firm friendship during my days in Cape Racing. One of my favourite personalities in racing. RIP my friend.

2. Graeme Hawkins says:

Such fond memories of Mr Rupert Langerman from my early days of commentating in the Western Cape during the late 1970’s. He was a very wise man with a great sense of humour and a wonderful writer. May his dear soul rest in peace.

3. Neil says:

Rupert Langerman. Now there was a true gentleman.
    I feel I was blessed to have met him and like Mike Wanklin & Graeme Hawkins I too having nothing but fond memories of Mr Langeman.
    I first met Rupert when I became assistant commentator to Jehan Malherbe in the mid 1980’s. He frequented the Judge’s box next to ours and without doubt became an early influence that cemented my love and fascination of the sport. Rupert possessed an engaging intellect that I was privileged to come to know first hand. The post-racing discourse at the racing officials bar at Milnerton and Durbanville, of which Rupert was a key ingredient, remain to this day etched in my memories.
    Condolences to the Langeman family, you are all in our prayers.

Neil Andrews

4. david mollett says:

Rupert was not only a fine gentleman but a huge asset for so many years to racing and the ranks of racing journos.
    On my arrival at the Rand Daily Mail in 1972, I asked racing editor, Stewart Ramsay, how we were going to fill two pages of racing every day. His reply: “Easy, just give Rupert a call in Cape Town and he’ll send reams of copy.”
    He was spot-on – Rupert bashed out thousands of words on his typewriter (no computers then) and regularly saved the day.
    Rather like Charl Pretorius, he would tackle any racing issue and his Cape Times column was widely read.
    I fancy he would say to nearly reach 90 was a “good knock”. I will always have fond memories of him.

5. Derek beukes says:

WHAT AN AWESOME COUPLE. I WAS BEST FRIENDS WITH THEIR SON JOLIAN WHEN I WAS A SMALL KID IN STD 5. HIS MOM HAD THIS DEEP LOVING VOICE WITH CARE AND COMPASSION AND SUCH A SHARP WIT LIKE HER HUSBAND. SHE WAS A NO NENSENSE PERSON. BUT WHAT I MOSTELY REMEMBERED ABOUT BOTH OF THEM , WAS THEIR SOUND INTEGRITY AND VALUES, SUCH DECENT PEOPLE , WHO LED BY EXAMPLE AND TREATED OTHERS WITH SUCH RESPECT. THESE STRONG VALUES I KNOW WERE PASSED OVER TO THEIR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN, THEY WILL BE MISSED BY SO MANY.

KINDEST derek beukes.