Home » Racing & Sport » July Bid In Balance For Malmoos

July Bid In Balance For Malmoos

Gr1 Premier’s Champions Challenge is next

Mike de Kock has indicated that the Gr1 Premier’s Champions Challenge over 2000m at Turffontein could be the next mission for three-year-old Malmoos, who raced away to a riveting win in Saturday’s Gr1 SA Derby over 2450m at Turffontein, securing the 2021 SA Triple Crown.

Malmoos won by 5.25-lengths and fell short of the 9.50-length margin recorded by the illustrious Horse Chestnut, who won the inaugural Triple Crown for the stable in 1999.

But there were reminiscent similarities in the thrilling way both quickened to sail away from their opposition.

Malmoos comes home lonely under Luke Ferraris (Pic – JC Photos)

Post-race, jockey Luke Ferraris told about Malmoos’ acceleration, saying, “I had a lot of butterflies before the race but the butterflies disappeared once the gates opened. But once he started going through his gears the butterflies came back again. He gave me goosebumps.”

The 19-year-old son of former champion trainer Ferraris handled Malmoos like a veteran as he brought him from seventh place to hit the front 400m from home. From then on, he drew away to beat Pamushana’s Pride by 5.25 lengths with Second Base a head back in third and anther 1.90 lengths to fourth-placed Shah Akbar.

“He’s changed my life, this horse,” said Ferraris. “It’s also a fitting win for Sheikh Hamdan. I’m very grateful for what he has done for me.”

Owner Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid al Maktoum passed away 10 days ago.

“But there’s not much more I can say. He’s shown everybody what he can do.

“The way he put everyone away in the Classic, I was confident going into the race but in racing, anything can happen, so I didn’t want to shout about it.

Retired veteran trainer Ormond Ferraris, who turned 89 last Wednesday, was on course to share in his grandson’s Triple Crown Triumph.

Mike commented: “It’s a huge day for the stable, for South Africa and obviously for Sheikh Hamdan. He has left a huge hole in the lives of people in Dubai, his family and certainly our stable over here. So this is a fitting tribute and even send off, if you want, that he gets a Triple Crown winner over here.”

He added: “I’m not sure about taking Malmoos to Durban. We’re not hellbent on going to the Durban July. He’s had a hell of a season and we’ll see how he comes through it. Don’t forget we also took him to Cape Town. He’s been on the boil for a long time.

“The horse will tell us. If he’s sound and happy, we will have a crack at it. But these days the July is tough on three-year-olds, the ratings are crazy. But we’ll see.”

Malmoos has won 7 of his 8 starts, earning R1 487 100 – excluding the R2 million Triple Crown bonus. He’s by Captain Al out of winner Justthewayyouare (Fort Wood), a half-sister to Varsfontein’s boom sire Master Of My Fate.

Malmoos was the second top lot at R4,4 million sold off the 2019 Emperors Palace National Yearling Sale.

Mike concluded: “He’s the real deal. He has the looks, the pedigree and thankfully he will go to stud in South Africa.”

www.mikedekockracing.com

19 comments on “July Bid In Balance For Malmoos

1. Shadrack khosa says:

If malmoos run in durban july will be interesting

2. Colin Samsodien says:

Mike De Kock’s decision not to take Malmoos to Durban, no surprise to me.
    Malmoos will struggle to win one big race in Durban with the Cape three year old’s around.
    Malmoos will be found wanting with Linebacker, Rascallion, Kommetdieding, Jet dark, Seeking The Stars in the same race. The July will be even harder when you add Rainbow Bridge, Belgarion and Got The Greenlight. I cannot see Malmoos making the board come July day.
    Durban will be must tougher and a bridge to far then the below average horse’s Malmoos beat in Jo-burg race after race.
    Mike De Kock, prove me wrong, bring Malmoos to Durban.

Interesting, if Malmoos does run in The July, Frankie will have to come out of retirement as Cool Luke will probably ride Rainbow Bridge 🤔

4. Yves says:

I think you still have to check the form line of the horse before you judge him, here a good form line for you Got the greenlight champion middle and mile and went very very close to Belgarion on durban july yet cooper moutain were beaten fair and square by Malmoos. How ever using Got the green as a line you undestand how good Malmoos his .All those horse you mention did run on the same month in cape town with malmoos . why they didn’t go to joburg to take on on the big guns

Welcome Yves – plse add your surname

5. Mac Naidoo says:

Only race of note was Got the Greenlight and Copper Mountain. Other big features had mediocre field to make any comparison. Too soon to talk about Malmoos he was beaten in the Cape

6. Raj Ramnund says:

At least Mike had the courage ti go to Cape Town. If the CT horses want to be considered great horses, they must win in all 3 big centres. Same like golf and tennis, you win all 4 majors, then the word greatness is associated to your name.

7. Frankie says:

Frankie Zackey…Colin you mentioned every 3 year old except Russian Rock who’s also from the Cape,, I think he’s just about the best from the bunch that has come up for the season,, we’ve got some brain dead people on this site that haven’t a clue about form🙈 Anyway getting back to you Cecil,,yeah just imagine that,, great replacement anyway…but trust me knowing MDK I can see the man is hungry again for another July,, I personally feel it’s the best lined up in 30 years of racing we’ve have this year….I’m hoping for a triple dead-heat this year,, it’s boiling down to a family affair along with a very good Mate MDK for me,, if JS PP or MDK win it,, i’ll be a very happy man,, but i must be honest i’m hoping for JS or PP this year,, any trainer that takes out his/her licence has 1 Race in mind they all want to win and that’s the July,, I’m sure if MDK decides on not having a runner i’m sure he’ll be rooting for both JS and PP…I’ll definitely be having a wager on my outsider Russian Rock…MR Ed not to shabby on my maiden plate prediction that I predicted 7 or 8 months ago,, i see that Dean did nominated him,, pity about his nutty issues,,unfortunately he’s his worst own enemy

He ended up in a Gr1 Frankie! Not bad finding him after 1 beaten start 🙂

Mr. Mac Naidoo & Mr. Mac Raj Ramnund,

Both your comments for ‘Quotes of the Month’

Spot on.

What would be useful is feedback from Mr. Matchett & Mr. de Kock, in 3 weeks or so, as to how their Triple Winners came out of the campaign.

9. gavin bechan says:

malmoos is a champion but i still think it will be difficult to win in durban ..rascallion for the july ..anton start wasting form now to make the weight ..he will win

10. Dev Govender says:

I can understand MdK being prudent and not wanting to over-race the horse – that’s a sensible approach for any trainer to take. But I would be surprised to see him miss the July, a race which I genuinely think he has at his mercy.

I already had Malmoos pencilled in as the prospective July winner after he won the SA Classic. Subsequently, the Got The Greenlight/Copper Mountain result at WFA has further confirmed my view that Malmoos has the beating of the older horses. The Derby was a stroll in the park and (to the naked eye, anyway) Malmoos did not have a hard race there. So the July, in my view, is there for the taking – with his turn of foot, once he hits the front, there’s nothing that I can see catching him.

11. Michael JacobsMGJ says:

The July debate has started early! Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time there was a horse called Hawwaam who was raved about as a superstar. He won “top” races in Gauteg ( although he was beaten by a PE horse who hasn’t been seen since!) He went to Durban but got scatched in the July. He came to Cape Town and got soundly beaten in top races down here. He went back to Gauteng, took on and beat the usual susoects up there and was once again talked up as a ” proper” horse! He was then exported overseas and has not been seen since!

The end.

The Sequel. Now we have Malmoos.

12. Richard Letwaba says:

Once upon a time there was a horse called IPi Tombe from Zim. Won Durban July and Sheema abroad. Place of origin doesn’t make a horse bad. Horse chestnut won 1 race in US & vanished. Does it mean all he beat that time were not good. If provinces were chosen based on stakes, where do you think everybody would go? Why aren’t best CT horses come to JHB to beat usual suspects? Even the mighty Pocket Power didn’t. You need a horse that’s climate & altitude all rounder & they are very few.

13. Richard Letwaba says:

Am surprised why people like Colin think MDK thought of not taking Malmoos to Durban because he will be beaten. The same decision was taken with Horse chestnut. Was he afraid of KZN & CT horses. By the way he went on to demolish them in the Met, including July winner. Food for thought, Do it again runs a better race in the July than Rainbow Bridge & Rainbow Bridge runs a better race in the Met than Do it Again. Only if they could talk & tell their side of the story

14. Michael Jacobs says:

Once upon a time there was a horse called Lizard’s Desire from PE who ran a short head second in the Dubai World Cup. So I’ m not sure what point the writer above is trying to make?! My point has got nothing to do with where a horse comes from, its about where it is going!

Also, there’s nothjng to be gained for a Cape trainer to take a top horse to Gauteng, besides winning more money. Cape trainers send average horses like Attenborough, Hudoo’s Magic and Pacific Trader to Joburg to win the feature races! PE horses also do well up there.

15. Kmconstantine says:

No surprise. Mike also talks a big game about other trainers(Snaith) not bringing their runners to Durban but whenever the July is around the corner, his horse either gets scratched or he chickens out of a big race. It will be very disappointing if Malmoos does not run in the July.

16. Kmconstantine says:

I don’t think you can use the Gotthegreenlight/Copper Mountain formline to suggest Malmoos has the beating of the older horses. Lets not forget that the mile is Copper Mountains preferred distance and in my opinion he ran an absolute cracker, probably the best run of his career to finish just short of gotthegreenlight, who by the way, was still not at full fitness and running the mile, which is still far too short for him amd not his preferred distance either. The fact that Muzi said that the horse went too early for the finish ,makes that run more impressive also. Malmoos ran in the bush in the Cape Guineas when he was well fancied, well beaten by the likes of Linebacker and rascallion etc. and that was the formlime to suggest he’s not as good as everyone thinks he is. And as usual MDK was full of excuses when an overhyped horse of his doesn’t win a big race. For me Gotthegreenight over 2200m in the July will be the fastest finishing horse and I can’t see any horse beating him.

17. Shadrack khosa says:

Remember malmoos beat linebacker rascalion in corncode cup