Quick Links:

Tarry Grabs His Fifth Summer Sizzler

Goodbye Phumelela - Hello 4Racing

In 1999 Phumelela reintroduced the historic Summer Cup to the racing calendar in its traditional format.

On Tuesday the beleaguered racing operator vacated the South African racing landscape forever on the proverbial Flying Carpet as they hosted their final renewal of the big race, now known as the World Sports Betting presents the Gr1 Gauteng Summer Cup.

Great expectations and talk of a new dawn for the game will have the new incumbent 4Racing under the cosh from the jump on Wednesday.

But that’s politics and commercial realities.  For now all we wanted to see was the big meeting delayed from Saturday go ahead.

And despite Weiho Marwing’s apply named Thunder Shower rocking the boat by winning the opener on the improvised Tuesday slot, Mother Nature generously played ball and Randjesfontein trainer Sean Tarry produced the goods for the fifth time in the Highveld showpiece.

Calvin Habib salutes as Flying Carpet wins the big one (Pic -JC Photos)

After Puerto Manzano had carted them along for much of the journey following his prominent jump from his wide gate, there was plenty of jostling for position all the way around.

In the final 300m, it was anybody’s race with former Capetonian Majestic Mozart looking to script a fairytale under Diego de Gouveia as he cruised up almost nonchalantly.

But the joker was still in the pack, and inside the final 200m Calvin Habib unleashed the 25-1 Flying Carpet off the middle inside with a devastating late run.

The son of Judpot made up the ground effortlessly and went on to score the upset by a quarter length in a time of 124,84 secs.

As we noted, Ashley Fortune’s 6yo Majestic Mozart (16-1) looked a winner late in the race and what a pleasure it is when a plan nearly comes together. He should yet win his fair share in Gauteng.

Barend Botes and Yolande Vosloo’s 7yo Golden Pheasant (40-1) ran a cracker 1,25 length back in third, with Tyrone Zackey’s soldier Johnny Hero (100-1) shading SA Triple Tiara queen and favourite War Of Athena out of fourth, to crown the record quartet dividend.

38 lengths separated top to tail and there will be many hard-luck stories, with the delay and the weather in the build-up hardly being ideal. But that’s the rub of the racing green – life goes on.

Winning rider Calvin Habib was registering his second Gr1 strike of his career and has made a miracle recovery in just four months since fracturing his back.

“I put my faith in God. And Mr Tarry has put his faith in me since my injury. Thanks to Mark Tarry who gave me the insight. Thanks to the owners and to the team,”he added.

Sean Tarry (Pic – Candiese Lenferna)

Sean Tarry expressed his gratitude to his team and particularly his well-informed brother Mark. History shows that the former SA Champion trainer won the Summer Cup in 2017,2018 and 2019 – and now in 2021, all with lightweights!

An astute buy for R100 000 at the 2019 BSA Ready To Run Sale, Flying Carpet is by former Varsfontein A.P. Indy stallion Judpot, who is now based at the Birch Bros Vogel Vlei Stud.

He was bred by Riethuiskraal Stud from the twice-winning Kabool mare, Zahir Shah.

Flying Carpet has won 3 races with 6 places from 16 starts for stakes of R1 477 550.

Talk was that with the compressed handicap, we had to look no further than the top six.

But a record quartet  dividend of R4 299 615, with a nominal carryover, will attest to the fact that not everything went according to plan for the form gurus on the day.

What a race. Let’s drink a toast to the new dawn.

OFFICIAL RESULT:

TRAINER JOCKEY DISTANCE BETTING
1ST 13 FLYING CARPET S G Tarry C Habib —– 25/1
2ND 11 MAJESTIC MOZART A B Fortune D De Gouveia 0,25 0,25 16/1
3RD 10 GOLDEN PHEASANT B/Y Botes Vosloo R Munger 1,25 1,50 40/1
4TH 17 JOHNNY HERO T Zackey D Schwarz 0,75 2,25 100/1
5TH 3 WAR OF ATHENA P F Matchett M Yeni 0,05 2,30 3/1
    TIME OF RACE: 124.84 s
Tote Fav 3 WAR OF ATHENA P F Matchett M Yeni 2,30 3/1

Have Your Say - *Please Use Your Name & Surname*

The Sporting Post encourages readers to comment in the spirit of enlightening the topic being discussed, to add opinions or correct errors. All posts are accepted on the condition that the Sporting Post can at any time alter, correct or remove comments, either partially or entirely.

All posters are required to post under their actual name and surname - no anonymous posts or use of pseudonyms will be accepted. You can adjust your display name on your account page or to send corrections privately to the Editor. The Sporting Post will not publish comments submitted anonymously or under pseudonyms.

Please note that the views that are published are not necessarily those of the Sporting Post.

36 comments on “Tarry Grabs His Fifth Summer Sizzler

1. George McDonald says:

Please please Mr. ED can we not refer to a New Dawn.
    Remember the failure of the other New Dawn.
    Some may talk of 24 wasted years

Hi George
      There were references to it during the afternoon.
      Any alternates?

2. Neill says:

Excellent coverage of the Summer Cup and the lead up mr Ed. And that SP reader who was convinced about Flying Carpet don’t forget to tip agan next year ! !

Thanks Neill
      Was easy to find on form according to the TV guys

3. Luigi Morelli says:

It will be difficult to difficult to catch quartets with this dividend in races where the fields are 5 and 6 horses strong.!!!

4. Graham Hurlstone-Jones says:

Yes, the same old……who will be closer ?

5. Graham Hurlstone-Jones says:

After the fact….be4 the fact the only one to mention Flying Carpet was the SP punter…..but the tv experts knew straight after, i got that skill, If so easy why 40/1 and nothing from the stable ? mmmmmm….its all good in SA racing and thats why nothing will change, everyone is ok with the status quo…..Lets see 4where we go now for the punter…..all the carryover money 4 the few, the usual scenario.

6. Logan says:

As much as fairy tales are good for sport, it was a pure disappointment how our top rated horses performed. We are proud of the quality of our horses and potential world beaters.

I am shocked that the quartet was made up of 4 outsiders.
    Mike de Kok identifies Malmoos as world class.
    War of Athena’s jockey noted as supreme quality
    Got the Greenlight and his aim of greatness as per Joey Soma
    This message may not get published but i need to share my disappointment.

There is no excuse of poor performance and states of tracks etc.
    Look at Frankel, Black Caviar. Never got beaten.

7. Farouk Goliath says:

What a disgrace from all the top horses ,Mike dekok mention ,it’s just the first six horses that have a winning chance ,but not one of them winning,as for muzi he was bullish on War of Athena,but the mare didn’t even come close to the three front horses and yet they all where drawn better of most of the horses it just shows that the handicapper always get it right ,they all said the rest of the field is out at the weights ,but they where proved wrong ,as punters they follow what top trainers say but at the end of the day the punter suffer the most because of false information

All the info is given in good faith, Farouk

8. Pieta says:

Logan,

Can’t agree with you more….Frankel and Black Caviar and many other international champs were freaks and deserved their ratings….how the SA handicappers can even rate the local horses to within 20 pounds of them is mind boggling…..they need proper training.

9. Dev Govender says:

I had a nibble at Flying Carpet at 25/1 because of the Sean Tarry factor in this race, but the pleasure of winning was diluted by the (relative) failure of WoA. Relative because she was never going to win this at the weights and I couldn’t understand how she was topping the betting boards. So my hopes were very much sentimental that she might somehow pull it off, but I couldn’t see her as a betting proposition at those cramped odds.

Having said that, she stayed on gamely in the circumstances and was the only one of the big names to put up any kind of fight. Assuming her connections target the Horse Chestnut and Champions Challenge in a few months’ time, I would be hopeful of a big run as she would be quite well in at WFA and could finally notch up that first win in open company.

I’m completely befuddled by the form drop-off of GTGL and Malmoos.

10. Donald Bradshaw says:

Logan , you have summed the 2021 Summer Cup up perfectly , the result from 1st to 4th can only be described as an absolute shock , the ” big ” horses did not turn up and their reputations are now in absolute tatters along with the tickets of many a horse racing customer !

I appreciate that horse racing is far from an exact science and I often try and find a lurker in a race such as this but one would have to dig very deep or be extremely lucky to come close to this quartet !

11. Dev Govender says:

In all fairrness, I don’t think there has been a single horse bred in SA that could live with Frankel or Black Caviar. That’s not to disrespect our past champions, but simply pointing out that Frankel and BC were freaks of nature and to bring them into this discussion is a bit of stretch when voicing our disappointment about the favourites in today’s big race.

I’ve lost my voice. Had Majestic Mozart held on I would have won 9 % of the quartet, but I did manage my good old 1% with Majestic Mozart my roving banker.

Once again, the PA was a good and safe bet for me. I first thought I had 7.2 tickets but then discovered it was 9.6 tickets @ 3374.

Commiserations to Gary Lemke and congrats to the Flying Carpet connections.

The quartet would only have paid R3 967 000 if MM had won, William. 🙂

1% will smooth the petrol price bump for a few weeks

13. Susan Rowett says:

Judpot is living at Varsfontein retired from stud duties.

Thanks for that update, Susan

14. Neill says:

Yes Dev the Habib-Tarry combination worried me because they won the Allan Robertson Grade 1 on Under Your Spell at long odds back in June, but the form of Flying Carpet was’nt nearly as impressive as that the better known horses. Took the field in the pots anyway.

15. hilton witz says:

Well done to the course manager i thought the track looked in outstanding condition and what a pleasure watching racing on a truly world class racecourse where there are hardly any hard luck stories…

16. Dev Govender says:

Genuine question, asked out of curiosity and not with the intention of stirring up any controversy: do seasoned punters with an in-depth knowledge of form actually rely on pre-race comments from jockeys and/or trainers? I generally find the comments to be pretty generic (and often ridiculously bullish) so I prefer to make a call based on my own study of the form (and past knowledge of the horse) and if I lose, so be it – it’s on my own head. FWIW, my main pre-race selections were completely off (Malmoos – Bingwa – GTGL) and it was pure luck that I had a small side bet on the winner. But it wouldnt have occurred to me to put any great faith in the pre-race comments (even though the Majestic Mozart article turned out to be spot on, to be fair!)

Hi Dev
      It’s probably a fine mix of the two – William M only won 1% of the quartet because he listens to nobody.
      Ashley Fortune was spot on about Majestic Mozart – what a great job she did with this horse in a short space of time.

17. Dev Govender says:

Hi Neill, I agree, based on his 3yo form, he was always thereabouts but clearly a few lengths inferior to the bigger guns. So I had very little confidence that he could actually pull it off. I essentially went on a wing and a prayer because the odds were tempting and because the likes of Tilbury Fort and Zilzaal were far from champion material, but were really well prepared on the day and raised their game under a light weight to beat much higher-rated horses.

18. Gops..naicker says:

U can study form but u need a bit of information from the trainers to assist. Not mr tarry or Mr de kock Gave any kind of confidence on any of their winners.all we gonna hear is about is the underfoot conditions . Horses are fresh and blood etc. Truth be told the punters are losing their confidence. That’s worse than losing their money.the totes were really empty albeit the pools.

19. Dev Govender says:

Totally agree about the Majestic Mozart article, Mr Ed. I read it in its entirety and while I wasn’t convinced about the horse, Mrs Fortune’s assessment turned out to be absolutely on the mark.

RACE 8 : WORLD SPORTS BETTING PRESENTS THE GAUTENG
    SUMMER CUP (Grade 1): 2000M (388)
    Starter: G Timm Loading: 1 min 41 secs No. of Runners: 19

CARDED TIME: 15:40:00
    RESCHEDULED TIME: —–
    OFF TIME: 15:40:55
    PROVISIONAL RESULT: 15:44:27
    ALL CLEAR: 15:49:27

THE STARTER REPORTED:

a) MALMOOS (G Lerrena) jumped awkwardly and SHANGO (C Zackey) jumped outwards leaving the stalls.
    b) TREE TUMBO (S Moodley) was slow losing two lengths.

THE STIPENDIARY STEWARDS REPORTED:

a) At approximately the 1800m, ASTRIX (W Kennedy) had to check severely when awkwardly placed on the heels of MAJESTIC MOZART (D De Gouveia) which was ridden inwards to obtain a position close to the inside running rail.
    Jockey D De Gouveia was charged with a contravention of Rule 62.2.7 in that he, as the rider of MAJESTIC MOZART, failed to ensure that he did not cause interference to ASTRIX (W Kennedy) at approximately he 1800m. Jockey De Gouveia signed an Admission of Guilt and is suspended from riding in races of a period of fourteen days.
    Suspension dates to be advised.
    When assessing the penalty, the Stewards gave consideration to the severity of the incident and the degree of negligence associated with this incident.
    b) At approximately the 300m, SPARKLING WATER (K Matsunyane) which hung in from the 400m, had to switch in to avoid running onto the heels of SHANGO (C Zackey).
    c) Jockeys B Fayd’Herbe (GOT THE GREENLIGHT) and Jockey C Maujean (BINGWA) reported that they felt something amiss with their respective mounts in running. The Veterinary Surgeon was requested to examine these horses.
    d) Jockey G Lerena reported that MALMOOS took no interest in running. The Veterinary Surgeon was requested to examine this colt.
    e) Jockey S Moodley reported that TREE TUMBO did not stride out freely in running. The Veterinary Surgeon was requested to examine this gelding.
    f) Jockey R Munger was charged with a contravention of Rule 58.10.2 (read with Guideline M on the use of the crop) in that he misused his crop by striking GOLDEN PHEASANT more than twelve times in the entire race. Jockey Munger signed an Admission of Guilt and was fined R2000,
    When assessing the penalty, the Board took into consideration that this was a Grade 1 race.
    g) FLYING CARPET (C Habib), the winner, was selected for the taking of specimens for analysis. Trainer S G Tarry advised (AH).
    h) MAJESTIC MOZART (D De Gouveia), placed second, was selected for the taking of specimens for analysis. Trainer A B Fortune advised (SM).
    i) TREE TUMBO (S Moodley), unplaced, was selected for the taking of specimens for analysis. Stable Employee J Nosassa advised (AH).
    j) SHANGO (C Zackey), unplaced, was selected for the taking of specimens for analysis. Stable Employee T Nako advised (MdP).

JOCKEY CHANGES:

None.

RACE CARD CHANGES / OTHER:

a) SECOND BASE: cap change – white, black fleur de lys, red sleeves, black collar & cuffs, red & gold quartered cap.
    b) FLYING CARPET raced equipped with blinkers (declared 24 November 2021 at 10H56).
    c) TREE TUMBO raced equipped with alumite bar shoes in front and alumites behind (declared 24 November 2021 at 10H56) and raced with a tongue tie on (declared 25 November 2021 at 13H31).

Race 8 contd.

THE VETERINARY SURGEON REPORTED:

a) GOT THE GREENLIGHT examined post race, nothing obvious detected.
    b) BINGWA not striding out right hind.
    c) MALMOOS examined post race, nothing obvious detected.
    d) TREE TUMBO left front injury. Suspended indefinitely for a veterinary report and gallop. Trainer S G Tarry advised (KS).

I actually fouled up a bit in that I didn’t play Majestic Mozart in the Quartet for 2nd ONLY.

That’s always my style in Quartets when my first choice is 12/1 or bigger.

I played MM for first and then in other quartets, roving for (1,2,3; 4).

So that lack of concentration on my part, cost me plenty !

I did enjoy the days racing, even though I would have preferred Bartholdi to win but how can you not be happy for Corrie Lensley and Alesian Chief, very brave !

And then the same for me with Red Saxon in the Dingaans. He would have made a massive difference to the Jackpot dividend.

Anyways, Woolworths smoked snoek tomorrow for me.

22. Saki Machaba says:

I think if you follow handicapping, Flying Carpet, Shango and Majestic Mozart would have been high on the list, I took Bingwa straight win in his penultimate run because of the weight he was receiving from the top horses based on their previous meeting….

Well Done William. Aah Snoek & Chips in koerant papier. We always go to Snoekies in Hout Baai ‘ on the rocks ‘

Tilapia lunch for me, caught last week at the dam.

Albert Falls Greetings.. 24 days to Xmas

24. Donald Bradshaw says:

So a race rider can misuse the crop in a Grade 1 race and this is regarded by the NHRA as extenuating circumstances and a lower fine is therefore imposed ?

By extension that means that a race rider that is charged with misusing the crop in a maiden race must receive a higher fine on a sliding scale up the divisions to Grade 1 ?

Dangerous legal ground methinks !

Morning Mr Ed

I am asking for a Friend … ‘ if ‘ 😁 MM, GtGL or WoA had won, what would the P6 have paid.

Regards

Hi Cecil

Guess…R20k?

26. Graham Martin says:

Saki,I could’nt disagree with you more! Flying Carpet was 3Kg worse off with Golden Pheasant and Astrix on the Victory Moon run, where he finished more than 2 lengths behind them. he was 8 Kg’s worse off with Second Base! I cannot for the life of me see how this horse was well handicapped as you mentioned! As for Bingwa winning the November Handicap I will agree that Bingwa was well handicapped because he did NOT get a penalty for running 2nd in the Spring stks. which enabled Bingwa to win on FORM. I emphasize the word FORM because it’s not much that you get with the handicapping system in this country!

Cecil… I’ll give you those figures tonite about the ‘what might have been’.

Good evening Cecil,

With War of Athena – not more than 57 737

With Gotthegreenlight – not more than 87 936

With Majestic Mozart – a bit more than 368 925

And Sean Tarry can be congratulated further for the performance Tierra Del Fuego ‘put in’.

Good Morning William. Thank you, I am sure many had nrs 1,2 and 3… Interesting, I just couldn’t play the Field here, maar mask nie saak nie. Next time ..

M M came close to making you Big Bucks hey !

Mr Tarry is a master. I remember how we followed Zilzaal early on, and then surprised us in the same race. That’s our game, we learn ( LoL , hopefully ) and move on…

Onto Sat day we go …