Quick Links:

Tote Rules – Nobody Told Us

Where were the official notifications?

I am devasted to hear that the tickets taken for Saturday’s Turffontein meeting were supposed to be refunded and retaken for Tuesday.

Not a single person on Tellytrack, or anywhere else, mentioned that bets must be retaken.

So writes Vivian Mansour in the Sporting Post Mailbag.

I went out one leg in the Jackpot.  I am now told that if I had caught that Jackpot that I would have only received a refund! It is the rules.  But what ‘small’  punter knows that rule?

Normally I hear that you must retake your bet but this time not a word was mentioned!

Thank God the bet I should have won only paid R22  – but that is not my complaint. The public should have been informed.  How many other punters will support me in this rule?

I think the general public should be made aware of this rule each and every time a race meeting is cancelled.

Abandon I can understand – but the meeting was just moved from one day to another!

Have Your Say - *Please Use Your Name & Surname*

The Sporting Post encourages readers to comment in the spirit of enlightening the topic being discussed, to add opinions or correct errors. All posts are accepted on the condition that the Sporting Post can at any time alter, correct or remove comments, either partially or entirely.

All posters are required to post under their actual name and surname - no anonymous posts or use of pseudonyms will be accepted. You can adjust your display name on your account page or to send corrections privately to the Editor. The Sporting Post will not publish comments submitted anonymously or under pseudonyms.

Please note that the views that are published are not necessarily those of the Sporting Post.

10 comments on “Tote Rules – Nobody Told Us

1. Dawood says:

Punters must be notified about these changes

2. Keith sing says:

sorry bud my tote actually displayed it on Sunday that all bets for Saturday will be refunded and had to retake your bets big up too my ladies from my tab

3. Donald Bradshaw says:

About seven years ago I placed my bets on a Gold Cup meeting on a Friday and left that afternoon for Europe , when I came back four weeks later I checked the results and found that my tickets were all losing bets and threw them in the trash. In a conversation with someone sometime later he told me that the Gold Cup meeting was cancelled and run on the following Saturday and that all bets struck for the original Saturday were null and void and that I could be refunded for those losing tickets.

It was only then that I came to learn of the ” 48 hour rule ” after 50 years in horse racing ?

I had to sit long and hard while completing the tote ” lost tickets documentation ” in trying to remember the horses and races I had played to receive the refund which I got about one month after my documentation was processed.

This particular instance had a good ending but I would have been been most upset had I won on that Gold Cup meeting only to find my tickets were not valid !

4. Brian Rachman says:

Why could we not just have kept our best as we took them on Saturday. Why go through refunding and taking the exact bet again which i did. Total waste of time. If a meeting is moved to another day. Stay with your bets. Unless u as a punter wants a refund a rechoice your bets. So simple.

5. Robert says:

It is not a tab issue as such it’s a gambling board rule any postponement longer than 48 hours bets have to be refunded and new bets taken.

6. Brian Rachman says:

Refunding is a waste of time. If a punter wanted to get a refund then yes. If not. Go with your bests u placed. Easy peasy. Dont complicate things.

7. stanley whittingstal says:

I played the summer cup horses on the 26th as I was busy on the sat …heard it was moved to another date no worries fir me I left it My horses Flying carpet Jonny hero came places and one one only to get my money back…..tips I got from Clocking the gallop ….I lost alot….

8. satish Singh says:

Hi
    I had a bet on the winner at 33/1 on Saturday (day the summer cup was originally scheduled for). On Wednesday, the day after the running of the race, I noticed that my bet was cancelled and my R100 was refunded.
    No email, what’s up or SMS indicated the bet was canceled and I needed to retake.
    A serious deviation from previous practice. I was caught unaware.
    Feel done down.
    Those who placed on anti post are being paid out.
    Can the power that be intervene.

This is my second bad experience with a bookmaker. Once before I backed a horse at 100/1. This bookmaker in question refused to pay me out stating he had incorrectly priced up but was prepared to settled at 33/1. I was forced to accept.
    What are the authorities doing about these cases.
    NHA catch a wake.
    Like to hear from you.
    Satish Singh
    0733397939

9. Patrick Foord says:

I had the same experience. On Tuesday after thinking I had won a 3% pick six which would have been around 20k I found out that they had refunded my money and my Saturday bets had been cancelled. Nowhere was it announced that we would have to replace our bets. I was under tre impression that my bets stood for the carry over to Tuesday.

10. George McDonald says:

It’s surprising that people would play good money on a game without knowing the rules of the game.
    The Rules are easily available.
    How many people actually know about how couplings work on comingled French tote?
    You did not know horses were coupled when playing on French racing?
    So those who are complaining have only themselves to blame.
    Read the rules.