Quick Links:

Met 2022 – The Final Field!

What's your choice to win the big one?

The final field for the 2022 R2 million Gr1 Cape Town Met presented by World Sports Betting was unveiled at a function at the big race venue Kenilworth Racecourse on Wednesday evening.

Kommetdieding – will be a popular winner! (Pic – Candiese Lenferna)

A field of 11 runners will line up in the Cape flagship event on 29 January, headed by the ‘people’s horse’ and 2021 Vodacom Durban July winner Kommetdieding, who bids to become the first since Mike de Kock’s great filly Igugu (2012), and another popular equine character in Pocket Power ( 2009), to register the consecutive Durban July – Met double.

Kommetdieding certainly has the credentials and is a popular favourite after a storming second behind Jet Dark in the recent L’Ormarins Queen’s Plate.

Trainer Michelle Rix is bullish about the chances of her smart colt and when asked recently by Gold Circle’s David Thiselton who the ones to beat were, she replied, “None actually; I’m pretty confident.”

Owner Ashwin Reynolds also said that he was looking forward to racing against Jet Dark, who beat Kommetdieding by 2,25 lengths last time out in the L’Ormarins Queen’s Plate, and added, “It is a pity War Of Athena is not coming and I hope there are no more scratchings because then it will just be me against the Snaith’s.”

Big race jockey Gavin Lerena galloped Kommetdieding on Wednesday morning and declared his mount ‘in a good space’.

Jet Dark heads the Snaith quartet and, while he beat Kommetdieding easily in the Queen’s Plate, the extra 400m could be the equaliser.

Kommetdieding’s owner Ashwin Reynolds told David Thiselton he was not worried and said: |”It will be his third run after a rest, he will be cherry-ripe, but if Jet Dark does beat us, I will take it on the chin and say good luck, he is better than us.”

Asked about Jet Dark’s younger stable companion Double Superlative, the only 3yo in the race, Mr Reynolds replied, “A three-year-old? Can Anton Marcus do the weight, 54kg? I am not sure he can.”

R2 000 000 2000m 17:10 Ref-321
1st R1250000, 2nd R400000, 3rd R200000, 4th R100000, 5th R50000
WORLD SPORTS BETTING CAPE TOWN MET (Grade 1)
Open to horses at Weight For Age
8 10 Second Base 59.5 116 BAM Warren Kennedy J A Janse van Vuuren
9 7 Puerto Manzano (ARG) 59.5 111 BA Keagan de Melo J A Janse van Vuuren
10 8 Marina 57 118 BA Aldo Domeyer Candice Bass-Robinson
11 3 Double Superlative 54 113 A Anton Marcus Justin Snaith
Same Trainer – Not Coupled on Tote
(1,4,7,11) (8,9)

Please read more – click the cover of the latest SPRINT:

Have Your Say - *Please Use Your Name & Surname*

The Sporting Post encourages readers to comment in the spirit of enlightening the topic being discussed, to add opinions or correct errors. All posts are accepted on the condition that the Sporting Post can at any time alter, correct or remove comments, either partially or entirely.

All posters are required to post under their actual name and surname - no anonymous posts or use of pseudonyms will be accepted. You can adjust your display name on your account page or to send corrections privately to the Editor. The Sporting Post will not publish comments submitted anonymously or under pseudonyms.

Please note that the views that are published are not necessarily those of the Sporting Post.

49 comments on “Met 2022 – The Final Field!

1. Frankie Zackey says:

Frankie Zackey….Adrian I think you’re the one that needs to see a Optometrist…DIA is far from retirement,,he’ll only be having his 27th run as 7 year old,,there’s still plenty mileage left… I think Justin has done a fantastic job with DIA,, I’ll be very surprised if he’s not in the top 4 finishers tomorrow… He’s a real UK ATM machine for his connections

2. Adrian Holloway says:

I cannot believe that there are still people out there who believe that DIA can actually win the Met…to me he is the Aiden Markram of racing…gets selected purely on past reputation….like so many other sportsmen in this country….he is way past his sell by date and wont run a drum….I know an excellent optometrist….for all those who cant see that Kommet is past the post….

3. Amesh Ikhoka says:

Lerena will smoke this field with Kommetdieding

What a gift at 33/10

Jet Dark will not last the distance

5/6/10/F

… as Bevin aptly mentions

Goeiemôre Meneer Pienaar, so ek neem aan dat jou grootste begeerte op die oomblik Linebacker is?

I suppose Mr. Marshall will let the public shortly how Linebacker has being doing in the last few days, wouldn’t you think.

6. Bevin steele says:

Well a few days before the big day and very little coming out about the well being of our fancies.One would think that the trainers would give some kind of insight into how the preparation of there charges are doing.The 3 up country runners are they ,here ,still coming or what..The last time we saw the principal contenders was in the Queens plate ,nothing after ,We just have to guess there well being.We might be lucky in the post race interview th hear that the winner had freshened up well and had shown amazing work .A bit late after the race ,it would be quite useful to get some kind of “information “ before Saturday.Hard game this I need all the help that I can get .Any chance of S P trying to elicit some comments from the trainers

We will do that Bevin

Hello William, lol ????, OK got it… Meneer, ek dink Cirillo gaan vinnig voor hardloop … Aah, Steve had to mention that beautiful animal – Wolf Power ✔
    We don’t need 20 horses here, this is a good field – George seems to know something, might have to find another for the back end of my QT

Hey Rian, maybe Pops will be back now that you are. I miss Brendon, wonder if they’re still reading.

Albert (soon) Falls Greetings – close to overflow

8. JOHN WILLIAMS says:

There some great comments in these e mails. I am a frequent visitor to Cape Town from the cold UK winters and run my own RaceClub in the UK.I know that things are not as they should be with SA racing but am very surprised that the Met is only worth £62,500 to the winner, which would be the lowest for a winner in the 5 days at Royal Ascot. I go to Kenilworth every week and went 3 days ago and there was hardly any one there. There is a lack of promoting racing in the Wsern Cape and the Newspapers are part of this problem. Think the winner will be JET DARK, mainly as I back him in the L’Ormarins and mR Snaith will have him spt on. Stay safe all. John Williams

Howzit Steven, Happy New Your to You & Fam.

Yes, these types of scenario’s are one of the very few reasons left why I still enjoy horse-racing… can Jet Dark deliver a devastating turn of foot over the MET 2000 as he did in the 1600m ? That is his knock out punch. I say no.

Another reason I’m very confident he won’t win is that I think a mediocre early pace will allow whoever’s in front not to tire that dramatically at the business end, therefore, blunting Jet Dark’s main weapon.

Cecil, and just to be clear, main weapon does not mean, “die perd se sinkers”

I hope you’ll have an enjoyable Met Day, Steve.

10. George McDonald says:

Will Jet Dark run in the 2022 Met, that is the question.

11. Neill de Bruyn says:

To put prize money in South Africa in perspective, two brothers each received a BMW M135i worth R800 000 from their parents for having passed matric. Pics on social media. Huh? .

12. Steve Reid says:

William that’s a big statement to make. While the race will tell us if your opinion is correct, I cannot but recall the 1984 Met and the people who had similar views on Wolf Powers chances.

I’m pretty sure, actually very sure, that Jet Dark won’t be able to win The Met.

14. Vincent Prince says:

Jet Dark for the double

Oh Superman will get down to 54Kg, hope he is still strong enough to “fight off’ the challenges like in the previous DS win. Still waiting for the Head on of that race, bleddie Post office is slow. ????
    6/5/11/4 – won’t pay much, but take it a few times..

Hi Cecil
      We were offered the video and then given a contact detail to order it.
      It also comes at a cost.
      It then also has to be converted.

Mr. Pillay, I would think for many reasons but the main one is that he really wants to ride Double Superlative as he (Marcus) must think he can win it.

Yip, that’s what I said Mr. Editor, “massive amounts of red lipstick applied”

18. wayne fouche says:

Seems strange that a number of very knowledgeable guys on ABC seem to agree with me….I stick with my comment.

19. B steele says:

Her name was Pauline not a full box of chocolates but harmless also used to pluck up tickets
    She used to talk to everyone including herself .Strange but she came to the bookmaker Maxie Levin funeral
    One of many that made racing interesting and entertaining

Remember her yes.
      Bevan, didnt she used to wear bright red lipstick?

20. Rian Rix says:

William, she was a colourful lady , and her shoes, would have had a chance at Met best dressed
    Picking up tickets was a business then
    Definitely a women trainer this year.but great trainer like Mr Marshall can’t be left out, but like the Bass filly

21. Craig Pillay says:

William for you to answer why would Marcus get down to 54 kg to ride double super alitive and fourie is not riding that race

Rian, do you remember that lady at the tote/s wearing her hat with plenty flowers stacked on it, massive amounts of red lipstick applied & and a few missing teeth… she used to say that she was the Chairman’s lady/sister/aunty or whatever and that she was very close to all the Big Cheese’s

…and those guys who used to suck up the discarded tickets after race 9 with a vacuum cleaner thingy-ma-bob. They told me that they cash-in quite a few winning tickets

23. Lynton Ryan says:

The field contains the winer of 3 July’s, 3 Queen’s Plates,Gr1 Champion Cup winner, Gr1 Derby winner, Gr1 Daily news winner, first and second in last years July, this years Gr1 Guineas winner.
    What did you expect Wayne, an ARC and Breeders Cup winner. I can’t wait to see these high quality titans battle it out.
    Remember the movie, ” Wayne’s World”

24. Adrian Holloway says:

Rian Rix for oresident…for calking a spade a spade….pooohols lyingvthrough their teeth….well done to u sir….

25. Rian Rix says:

I enjoyed the Met as it was, I enjoyed standing in the Q’s at Kenilworth off course tote handing in the families 50c line jackpots, listening to the banter and the singing of one well dressed gentleman
    I enjoyed the Computaforms as they were with the pics in the middle and the bold print, thousands of players used this method with no tips from poophols on TV or trainers and jocs lying through their teeth
    It was you , your money with your selections and off you went to the met or A, B or C div race with max R30 bucs
    I don’t enjoy enlarging races on my phone and scrolling and then writing nos down, and those KZN nos are a mess
    I really fancy Marina for the Met
    Miss Pops and all the other Keyboard Warriors
    Cheers

26. RIAAN Koekemoer says:

Poorest Field with Donkeys, no Argument.

27. Gregg Clarke says:

Bit disappointing that such a big event on the Calendar has drawn such a small Field. Whilst it has many of the Country’s Top Horses in it I can’t but help wonder if the Winner might be a surprise….Rockin Ringo or Marina or Double Superlative or even a slightly forgotten Linebacker.

Announcement coming Cecil
    R10 million up for grabs

29. Dev Govender says:

Messrs Jacobs and Milkovitch, you both make valid points and I actually don’t know which side of the fence I would come down on, to be honest.

The Met’s heritage is that of being a handicap and in fact that is what makes the victories of topweights such as Politican, Wolf Power and Jungle Warrior so memorable, in that they made light of 58,5kg and conceded weight to some really good opposition. So the shift to WFA fundamentally altered the fabric of the race from an historical perspective.

On the other hand, with the Champions Challenge usually only contested by Gauteng-based horses, it means that we have an important 2000m WFA race at Turffontein on the programme, but it cannot really be considered a championship contest as such. So the move to WFA means that the Met now fulfils the role of a championship race over the distance, something which we badly needed.

The point about the lesser horses effectively having no chance in the Met at WFA is correct. But as a middle ground, the answer is surely that the WFA races are there to cater for the best of the best, while there are still races such as the July, Summer Cup and Charity Mile to cater for the relatively lower-rated horses to come in off a handy weight. Puerto Manzano is in fact a good case in point given that he ran a cracker in the Summer Cup off a handy weight. If he is not competitive to win at WFA here, then that is part and parcel of racing

Those are my thoughts, but I’m still not sure what the right answer is – I suspect that, in objective terms, there isn’t one and it comes down to each person’s personal choice!

PS: I’m not an expert of training, and maybe it’s too much to ask of the top horses after the Cape season and getting ready for KZN’s winter season……but I still have to wonder whether we can’t get more representation of the top Cape horses for either the Horse Chestnut 1600 or Champions Challenge, which would really raise the profile of those races.

Good day Mr. Jacobs,

Something to bear in mine when we all have this debate about Conditions Grade 1 (not quite WFA) and a Conditional Handicap which I’m in favour of for the MET.

And it’s this, how competitive will Puerto Manzano (ARG) & Rockin’ Ringo be.

Will they, on the ratings beat anybody home or for that matter be slightly competitive ? And then, Second Base & Hoedspruit, will the conditions of the Grade 1 only allow these horses to earn their owners a complimentary race card and free parking ?

At least in a Conditions Handicap, they might be asked to carry 53 to 55kg, anything is better than 59.5 or 60kgs…or not ?

31. Michael Jacobs says:

Mr Fouche, what do you mean poorest field in years? It is a small field, but it has the best horses in SA at the moment. This is a grade 1 WFA 2000m race, not a handicap Which other horses do you believe should be in the race that could win? Name 3

32. Stephen goulding says:

Stephen Goulding

Small but quality field my outsider is marina what a 400 to finish in the Queen’s but for the draw home and hosed Silvano go you good thing

33. Stephen Goulding says:

Stevie g says

The way marina finished the queen’s watch out boys Go Silvano you good thing

34. Neill de Bruyn says:

Hi mr Ed, maybe the readers can provide their 1-2-3-4 selections for the Met by describing their ideal finish. We should get some laughs.

Good idea – we intend to publish the grid selections a bit earlier so that could go on that thread

35. Michael Jacobs says:

36. Dev Govender says:

I know it’s a smallish field but the quality is still there and I’m counting down eagerly to the race` Any race that brings together Jet Dark, Kommetdieding and Linebacker + a promising Guineas winner in Double Superlative, all at WFA, is going to be a humdinger. If we had 18 or 20 runners, the winner would still come (most likely) from this quartet and many of the other runners would be making up the numbers, so I’m not too concerned by the field size. Apart from Rainbow Bridge, I’m hard pressed to think of any serious winning contender that is missing from the line up.

As always I will be rooting for DIA – let’s not forget that in terms of career achievement, he is still the heavyweight champion in the line up. But he has understandably lost his finishing kick with age – it broke my spirit to see him struggling against inferior horses in his last run (even though there were excuses) and he is sadly running for fifth or sixth place at best here.

I’m assuming the presence of Rockin’ Ringo will ensure a true run race and this should hopefully ensure a race where every runner gets his chance and there are no hard luck stories.

37. Geoff Logan says:

I agree with Cecil. No Richard Fourie. I know he is on standby in case Anton doesn’t get down to 54 kg. He committed to Rainbow Bridge and who thought that he would be scratched. Justin Snaith alluded to him riding Hoedspruit after he won on him but knew that Richard had committed to Rainbow Bridge. He was withdrawn last week which I assumed gave both Richard and Justin ample time to rearrange the ride. Apparently not to be. Sad.

38. Mike Smith says:

80 percent fit do it again

39. Logan Govender says:

There are issues between Fourier and Snaith. Happened the first time when he lost the ride on gimme the green light. I stand to be corrected. Snaith is using Fourie when he likes. Then why not now. The Met without Fourie dampens it.

40. Frankie Zackey says:

Frankie Zackey… Mr Ed Richard is nobody’s fool,, if he want a ride in the race it would have been sorted out oh so easily for him,, it was a very easy assessment that he made by not taking a ride knowing nothing but nothing can beat Kommetdieding and if he happens to flop which I dought very much then Double Superlative will win,, so to have a ride in the Met knowing that the best that can happen would be running a dirty 3rd…Would Richard want that ? I guess no….DIA to fill 3rd or 4th position will be a great result for me….

41. Wayne Fouche says:

What a very small and disappointing field. Poorest field I have seen in years.

42. Daine Weber says:

Im going to say 1/4/2/8

43. Trevor Fortune says:

Looks like a straight fight between Linebacker and Kommetdieding. Do it Again, Jet Dark, Double Superlative and the iron filly Marina will be in the action at the business end as well.

Easy QT – 6/5/11/4 straight line

Mr Ed – What, no Richard Fourie,,, nee man hoekom.

Hi Cecil
      It does seem bizarre that a jock of Richard’s standing doesnt have a ride – Justin suggested he was on standby for Double Superlative if Anton doesnt made the weight.