Twenty horses will be carded for the stake-boosted R5 million Gr1 Hollywoodbets Durban July to be run at Hollywoodbets Greyville on Saturday 2 July.
With two reserves in the final field, a maximum of eighteen runners will line up at the 2200m marker for the 126th renewal of Africa’s richest graded stakes race, sponsored for the first time by South Africa’s international sportsbook operator, Hollywoodbets.
The R5 million stakes on offer is the highest in the history of the prestigious race and cheques will be paid down to tenth finisher, with the winner banking R2 940 000.
A total of R8 690 000 will be paid in stakes on the day.
Entries for the Hollywoodbets Durban July will close at 11h00 on Tuesday 19 April, with the entries list being embargoed and released on Wednesday 20 April.
With ante-post betting already available via Hollywoodbets, racing fans will be able to use the regular big race logs as a handy reference.
These are published by Gold Circle in consultation with the Handicappers. The logs will reflect all the horses, in order of preference, as to the make up of the final field at the time of publication.
- First declarations for the big race close at 11h00 on Monday 9 May, with first supplementary entries closing at 11h00 on Tuesday 10 May.
- Second declarations are due by 11h00 on Monday 30 May.
- Connections will have a final chance to live every owner, trainer and breeders’ dream when final supplementary entries close at 11h00 on Tuesday 14 June.
- The big race weights will be published on Tuesday, 14 June
The following conditions apply to the framing of the weights:
The weights to be carried shall not exceed 60kg and shall not be less than 52kg.
- Minimum weight for 4-year-olds and older:
Colts and Geldings 53kg / Fillies and Mares 52kg
- Maximum weight for 4-year and older at publication of weights:
Colts and Geldings 60kg / Fillies and Mares 59kg
- Minimum weight for 3-year-olds:
Colts and Geldings 53kg / Fillies 52kg
- Maximum weight for 3-year-olds at publication of weights:
Colts and Geldings 57kg / Fillies and Mares 56kg
No penalties shall be incurred after the publication of weights.
The Handicapper will raise all weights proportionately to 60kg. Should the top weight originally allotted be less than 60kg at final declaration
Final declarations close at 11h00 on Monday, 20 June.
The winners of the following Gr1 races in the current season will qualify automatically for inclusion in the final field.
It should be noted that in the case of the first three events listed below, Gold Circle can call for a public gallop to determine the well-being and fitness of the golden ticket holder in the event that any of these winners have not raced within three months of the date of final declaration:
- L’Ormarins Queens Plate (Jet Dark)
- World Sports Betting Cape Town Met (Kommetdieding)
- Jonsson Workwear Cape Derby (Pomp And Power)
- World Sports Betting SA Classic (Red Saxon)
- Wilgerbosdrift SA Fillies Classic (Rain In Holland)
- World Sports Betting SA Derby
- Premier’s Champions Challenge
- Daily News 2000
- Woolavington 2000
- Hollywoodbets Gold Challenge
The winners of the following races in the current season will enjoy preferential consideration for inclusion in the final field:
- Gr1 World Sports Betting Gauteng Summer Cup (Flying Carpet)
- Gr2 World Sports Betting 1900
- Gr3 Cup Trial
The announcement of the Final Field and Barrier Draws will take place on Tuesday, 21 June.
All runners are required to participate in public gallops scheduled for Hollywoodbets Greyville on Thursday, 23 June.
Gold Circle has the discretion to allow a horse stabled out of province on the day of the gallops to work, on condition that the gallop is filmed and screened on the day of the public gallops in Durban.
Depending on covid protocols prevailing at that time, we will be looking forward to watching the big race runners in action, accompanied by hot coffee and sticky buns!.
At that stage, there will only be nine days to go to the big day. We can’t wait!