Allegations of gender based violence and assault by a National Horseracing Authority official resulted in criminal charges being laid at the Booysens SAPS on Saturday.
This was a sequel to a raid on the Tony Peter Stable at Turffontein on Saturday morning, that resulted in all of the yard’s horses being withdrawn by the NHA from the third race onwards, on Betway Summer Cup day.
In an effort to end the speculation and multiple rumours doing the rounds, the trainer’s father Paul Peter, a former SA champion, told the Sporting Post on Saturday evening that he and his wife Marcelle were driving out of the stable when confronted by an NHA official (whose name is known to the Sporting Post), and a female with a video camera.
“My wife decided to make a breakfast at the stable to celebrate the arrival of our first Grandson on Friday. We were driving out when stopped by the official, who told us that he wanted to search us. We stepped out of the vehicle and I allowed him to search me. My wife is a 53 year old with heart ailments. She is also not a licenced official. The male official insisted on searching her, including her bag that contained the breakfast items, and personal female items. My wife resisted and attempted to move away. This is where things went awry,” said an emotional Paul Peter.
Besides the fact that a male should probably not be searching a female or her personal belongings, Mrs Peter does not know the official, who apparently offered no identification.
“My wife was traumatized and hurt her knee, arms and neck in the scuffle. We proceeded to get her medical help and then she laid a charge at the Booysens SAPS. I am only recording these facts so that the rumours and speculation can stop, and that we can allow the legal and other processes to follow their course in an ordered and civil manner, “ concluded Paul Peter.
In what can only be described as a dark day for horseracing, and a massive damper on the major day for 4Racing and its sponsors, trainer Tony Peter was served with an Interim suspension effective at 12h21.
All horses under his care will not be eligible to participate in races pending the conclusion of the investigation. This investigation emanated from the stable visit by NHA Officials earlier on Saturday, which raised certain serious concerns.
The Sporting Post believes that a High Court action may be launched by the trainer, but this could not be confirmed.