This Sire Is No Longer Active
Horse of the Year, Champion 3yo colt,
Champion Male Stayer.
Horse Chestnut is arguably the best racehorse to run in South Africa in the past 40 years, and South Africa’s only ever Triple Crown winner. Horse Chestnut was trained by Michael De Kock and owned by Harry and Bridgit Oppenheimer. In a short, but amazing career, Chestnut won 9 of his 10 career starts and earned $474,036.
His achievements included Horse of the Year in 1999; Champion 3YO Colt and Champion Male Stayer; Won from 1000m in 57.3 secs on his debut to 2450m – the SA Derby, (Gr.1) by 10 lengths. The first three-year-old in 54 years to win South Africa’s finest major, the J&B Met (Gr.1) by 8 lengths; Won the Cape Guineas (Gr.1) by 7.5 lengths. In his only start on foreign soil he won the Gr.3 Broward Handicap in Gulfstream Park by 5.5 lengths. His racing career was unfortunately curtailed due to injury and he was subsequently retired to Claiborne farm in Paris, Kentucky to stand at stud. He returned to South Africa in 2009
Suitable mares for Horse Chestnut could include
1. Mares with Intriguing (notably Woodman, Secret Prospector), or other Swaps (notably Parade Leader & other Kingmambo, Rakeen/Jet Master) or Khaled (notably Badger Land)
2. Mares with Flower Bowl, through son Graustark/His Majesty (notably Caesour, Parade Leader, Danehill)
3. Mares with Halo (notably Rakeen/Jet Master) or kin-relative Never Bend (notably Riverman, Mill Reef), or other Hail To Reason (notably Roberto)
4. Mares with Damascus (notably Complete Warrior, Captain Al) or other kin-links to Bold Reason
5. Mares with Cyane/Outing Class (notably Strike Smartly, Ringaro)
6. Mares with Donatello (notably Alycidon,Jallad, Elliodor, Goldmark
R15,000 +VAT Live Foal