Star 3yo Misses Gauteng Guineas Prep

Star colt won't run on Saturday

Mother Nature and Murphy’s Law conspired to deal 4Racing something of a wildcard with the rain arriving with force at Turffontein on Sunday to end the strategically important three-feature racemeeting after the running of just the third race.

The balance of the carded races could not be held due to deteriorating track conditions, after a severe thunderstorm descended over the course. The volume of water rendered the track unsafe for horse and rider.

4Racing, much to the inevitable chagrin of various stakeholders, took the decision to reschedule the features to this coming Saturday 13 January and to reopen entries yesterday for the Listed Wolf Power 1600, the Gr3 Mother Russia Stakes and the Betway Gr3 Got The Greenlight Stakes.

Declarations were made today and the fields now look slightly different.

R350 000 1400m 15:20 Ref-461
1st R218750, 2nd R70000, 3rd R35000, 4th R17500, 5th R8750
BETWAY GOT THE GREENLIGHT STAKES (Grade 3)
3 year olds

No Apprentice / Female Sex Allowance

1 8 Main Defender 60 121 A Calvin Habib Tony Peter
2 7 Gimmeanotherchance 58 112 A Diego De Gouveia Mike de Kock
3 9 The Africa House 58 106 T A Serino Moodley Sean Tarry
4 6 Wyzeact 58 97 HA S’manga Khumalo Corne Spies
5 5 Hotarubi 58 95 CA Kaidan Brewer Sean Tarry
6 3 Princeofgreen 58 92 BA Philasande Mxoli Paul Matchett
7 1 Barbaresco 58 91 A Gavin Lerena J A Janse van Vuuren
8 2 Royal Edition 58 88 A Chase Maujean Phillip Labuschagne
9 4 Champagne Cocktail 55.5 102 A Muzi Yeni Mike de Kock
Same Trainer
(2,9) (3,5)

With the R1 million WSB Gr2 Gauteng Guineas to be run on 3 February just over three weeks away, both the Got The Greenlight Stakes and the Wolf Power 1600 presented prep opportunities for the first leg of the SA Triple Crown.

And then there was also the undeniable public entertainment lure of the much anticipated, and now sadly washed-out clash of arch rivals Sandringham Summit (originally drawn 1), and Main Defender (draw 5), in the Got The Greenlight Stakes.

So what’s happened?

David Nieuwenhuizen (photo: hamishNIVENPhotography)

David Nieuwenhuizen – opted not to run his champion (photo: hamishNIVENPhotography)

Trainer David Nieuwenhuizen reportedly decided that Saturday 13 January was too close to the Guineas on 3 February, and pulled Sandringham Summit out of both the reopened Got The Greenlight Stakes (where he drew wide), and the Wolf Power 1600, where he drew 1.

But that doesn’t make it a one-horse affair!

The shrewd tactician Mike de Kock could be a party spoiler for the Main Defender (now drawn 8 of 9) connections, with the unbeaten and progressive Silvano filly Champagne Cocktail, who gets 4,5kgs from the Tony Peter star, as she is switched from the Mother Russia Stakes, her original carding on Sunday, to try and capitalize on the ‘weakened’ boys’ contest for Saturday.

Gabi Soma – damned if his did – damned if he didn’t

We asked 4Racing’s Head Of Racing Operations Gabi Soma to explain his decision to re-open the features afresh, rather than postpone.

“There were a number of considerations. The local conditions indicate that we can postpone any Gr1, but give the option to re-open Gr2, Gr3 and Listed races. I did go back on the records, and note that we have never postponed over an extended period and have always re-opened the event. I also even considered the option of maintaining the fields, and then inviting supplementary entries. This was not a workable alternative,” he explained after indicating that given the proximity to other features, they could also well have ended up with trainers scratching had they left Sunday’s fields intact, and thus have had substantially reduced numbers.

“Sandringham Summit’s trainer David Nieuwenhuizen did indicate on Sunday afternoon that he would not run the star colt on Saturday 13th January. He did enter him in both options on Monday though, and drew 1 in the Wolf Power. So had he intended to run with a better draw, that was an option,” he added.

Soma said that the weather was obviously an uncontrollable, and there was always likely to be somebody disappointed after a reshuffle.

“We did what we believed was in the best interests of racing, and naturally we would dearly have wanted to have the two top 3yo’s bumping heads. It may be worth mentioning that I have since canvassed 48 trainers to determine what our stakeholders would prefer to do going ahead. The survey initially delivered a 24 for, and 24 against the reopening of entries. One trainer subsequently had a change of heart, so it ended up 25 against, and 23 for reopening. So, it is something that is worth considering for further discussion. But ultimately, there are many uncontrollable factors, and the revised timing, coupled with the barrier draws always being a random, will have some people happy, and some less so,” he concluded.

Have Your Say - *Please Use Your Name & Surname

Comments Policy
The Sporting Post encourages readers to comment in the spirit of enlightening the topic being discussed, to add opinions or correct errors. All posts are accepted on the condition that the Sporting Post can at any time alter, correct or remove comments, either partially or entirely.

All posters are required to post under their actual name and surname – no anonymous posts or use of pseudonyms will be accepted. You can adjust your display name on your account page or to send corrections privately to the EditorThe Sporting Post will not publish comments submitted anonymously or under pseudonyms.

Please note that the views that are published are not necessarily those of the Sporting Post.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
14 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Share:

Facebook
WhatsApp
Twitter

Popular Posts

Birth Of A Stud – And A Flying Start!

‘We don’t view our investment in the 140 ha new farm as a vanity project. It’s a serious attempt to run a successful enterprise on business principles, focused on the aim of producing top end Graded Stakes winners.’

Read More »