For over a century, The Hong Kong Jockey Club has been a pioneer in the realms of sports entertainment, membership services and community work. Now, our vision is set on the future. To be a world leader in sports and entertainment and to enrich the community at the same time. If you share such passion and have the international expertise we seek, then a world of opportunities awaits you. Apply now to the vacancy listed below and give your career the edge it deserves.
A team of farriers, based within the Department of Veterinary Clinical Services at the Sha Tin racecourse, provides dedicated farriery care to all Thoroughbred race horses in the Club. We invite applications for the position of Head of this team.
The Head Farrier is primarily responsible for:
- Ensuring the provision of high-quality farriery care for all racehorses at the Hong Kong Jockey Club through a team of locally-trained farriers.
- Ensuring that there is an appropriate number of staff in the farrier team and that there is effective succession planning.
- Ensuring that complicated or troublesome cases receive optimal farrier care and, if necessary, resolve such cases by personally undertaking the work required.
- Ensuring that there are adequate published protocols to provide clear guidance on all relevant OSH issues and monitoring all areas of the operation to ensure that staff comply with these protocols at all times.
- Ensuring cost-effective management of all facilities and consumable stock by overseeing the implementation of sound management practices.
- Overseeing the design and delivery of the curriculum for the farrier apprentice programme (currently based on the NMIT curriculum from Australia).
- Organising staff rosters to ensure that there is always fast and effective farrier support available on race days and at all other times when horses are working.
- Providing professional advice and support to the Department of Veterinary Regulation & International Liaison (DVR&IL) on all regulatory matters relating to farrier issues.
- Providing professional advice and guidance in relevant areas of all special projects undertaken by the Club.
You will oversee a team of 42 farriers, including two Master Farriers, providing care for a population of approximately 1,200 racing Thoroughbreds at Sha Tin racing complex and 650 equestrian horses in ten riding stables. In addition you will supervise the training of apprentice farriers, ensuring continuity of care into the future.
Ideally, you should have:
- A minimum eight years’ experience as a qualified farrier with a significant proportion of this time in the Thoroughbred racing sector;
- A good understanding of the Thoroughbred racing industry and ability to communicate well with trainers;
- Experience in staff management; and
- An open mind about and enthusiasm for teaching.
For further details about the post, you may contact Dr Chris Riggs, Head of Veterinary Clinical Services by phone:
(852) 2966- 6891, email: [email protected].
Terms of Employment
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. An initial 3-year contract will be offered to successful candidate. Further contract renewal will subject to mutual agreement between the Club and the individual.
Closing date for applications is 17th October 2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please send your resume, complete with expected salary and job reference to The Human Resources Department, The Hong Kong Jockey Club, 6/F, Sha Tin Central Complex, Sha Tin Racecourse, New Territories, Hong Kong; or email to [email protected] or fax to (852) 2966-6984.